Tech

Video: Patrick Morewood on the Pyga Ninetyfive29c Stage

· By Nick · 38 comments

The Ninetyfive29c Stage has been the cause of much anticipation amongst Pyga fans. The company’s first carbon dual suspension bike is designed for cross-country and marathon racing but with a twist. The frame features a slacker head angle, longer top tube and is designed for use with a shorter stem than most XC bikes on the market. For further insight on the development and future of the Ninteyfive29c Stage, watch our interview with Pyga co-founder, Patrick Morewood.

PYGA NinetyFive29c-1.jpg

PYGA NinetyFive29c-2.jpg

PYGA NinetyFive29c-3.jpg

PYGA NinetyFive29c-7.jpg
PYGA NinetyFive29c-8.jpg

PYGA NinetyFive29c-12.jpg

PYGA NinetyFive29c-13.jpg

Comments

James Mulholland

Oct 28, 2014, 1:50 PM

Beautiful looking bike. I always feel a bit of patriotic pride when I see the design and engineering quality produced by people like Patrick Morewood.

Monark

Oct 28, 2014, 3:22 PM

looks like a niner Jet 9 RDO... it actually looks exactly like one...  

the nerd

Oct 28, 2014, 3:26 PM

This guy is not wrong...

Ryanpmb

Oct 28, 2014, 3:39 PM

Attention to detail will reveal that it actually doesn't...  :thumbup:

Brett

Oct 28, 2014, 8:26 PM

Looks can be deceiving

http://www.ninerbikes.com/jet9rdo

Very different bikes

lesego.2

Oct 29, 2014, 3:38 AM

Very nice bike

Claudio

Oct 29, 2014, 4:22 AM

This guy is not wrong...

Completely different suspension design, amongst other things. I think it's the triangle at the seat tube/top tube junction that is the main point of similarity.

NicoBoshoff

Oct 29, 2014, 4:40 AM

Look, I know zero about suspension designs etc., but the bikes look a LOT alike.

VicanZA

Oct 29, 2014, 5:09 AM

Better be good that Santa Cruz pricing on a local item.

Brian Fantana

Oct 29, 2014, 5:49 AM

The only similarity is the curved top tube and the triangular junction where the seat tube and top tube meet.

When you start looking at the rear suspension and the rear triangles, the two bikes are different in just about every way imaginable.  At a glance here are a few differences:

Rear triangle:

Niner has a one-piece rear triangle which attaches to two suspension links.

The Pyga only has one piece chainstays but there is a pivot just above the rear axle

The Niner as the brace on the rear triangle between the left seat stay and the left chainstay

The Pyga does not have this because the seatstays and the chainstays are not a one-piece design, but they are joined via a pivot above the rear axle.

Lower Suspension Pivot

The niner has a link that attaches to the front triangle and then runs below the BB and attaches to the rear triangle

The Pyga's chainstays are attached to a pivot directly in the front triangle.  This pivot is located above the bottom bracket.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Oct 29, 2014, 6:22 AM

As Fantana says... on the face of it, they look similar. But that's all down to the seat tube junction. 

JET9RDO_Frame_Red.jpg

If you have a look here, you see that the similarity is in the top tube and seat tube shape / junction area. And there are very few ways of doing this, while keeping weight down and strength up, as well as retaining a decent standover height. So it's not surprising that this looks somewhat similar to the RDO.

But - have a look at the PYGA again...

ccs-62657-0-57977500-1414500398.jpg

You'll see that where the Niner has a straight down tube, the PYGA is more curved - like Giant's down tube has become over the years. Again, to ensure that thejunction at the BB is super strong. 

The pivot points, rear triangle and shock placement are also very different between the 2. The PYGA is using a derivative of the Split Pivot design, whereas the Niner is more of a Weagle-esque design (like Giant's Maestro as well) except that it runs below the BB instead of above, which makes it very different to the likes of Giant, Ibis and other DW bikes. 

The thing to remember, though, is that there are only a very limited amount of ways a bike frame can be built, whilst retaining its design objectives - strength, weight and rigidity. That means pretty much everything will at least in some point in its life look like something else. 

cobus3000

Oct 29, 2014, 7:17 AM

I want one...no, I NEED one!

Ryanpmb

Oct 29, 2014, 7:34 AM

As Fantana says... on the face of it, they look similar. But that's all down to the seat tube junction. 

JET9RDO_Frame_Red.jpg

If you have a look here, you see that the similarity is in the top tube and seat tube shape / junction area. And there are very few ways of doing this, while keeping weight down and strength up, as well as retaining a decent standover height. So it's not surprising that this looks somewhat similar to the RDO.

Comparison is drawn against the Niner JET9.

"RDO" is a light weight version of the model (and many Niner components). Ie: AIR9, JET9 etc will have a RDO version. The JET9 and JET9 RDO look the same.

Just some Ninerd education  :thumbup:  :clap: ...

Oct 29, 2014, 7:40 AM

Comparison is drawn against the Niner JET9.

"RDO" is a light weight version of the model (and many Niner components). Ie: AIR9, JET9 etc will have a RDO version. The JET9 and JET9 RDO look the same.

Just some Ninerd education  :thumbup:  :clap: ...

Yep. I do know that. My LBS proprietor is a Ninerd of note... One of the original stockists of Niner bikes. 

As for the slip - I'm blaming the meds. 3 myprodol, taken 30 minutes ago...

Ryanpmb

Oct 29, 2014, 7:47 AM

Yep. I do know that. My LBS proprietor is a Ninerd of note... One of the original stockists of Niner bikes. 

As for the slip - I'm blaming the meds. 3 myprodol, taken 30 minutes ago...

That'll do it...

Monark

Oct 29, 2014, 7:52 AM

Thanks for the info gents, from a first glance, they surely do look very very similar. I cant wait to see the Pyga in the flesh. I might even upgrade from my Anthem Advanced to one.

Johny Bravo

Oct 29, 2014, 4:12 PM

I think most people are still begging for a one ten carbon model. 

Lets see what this Pyga costs, S-Works Epic money by the looks of it.

Oct 29, 2014, 4:17 PM

I think most people are still begging for a one ten carbon model.

Lets see what this Pyga costs, S-Works Epic money by the looks of it.

33 to 35 for the frame set... if you had listened ;)

Johny Bravo

Oct 29, 2014, 4:33 PM

33 to 35 for the frame set... if you had listened ;)

Add 20 thousand odd Randelas for the front fork. Then also keep in mind the S-works frameset includes a fork and carbon seatpost for R60 000 randelas, and then we are pretty much even stevens, give or take.

Kranky

Oct 29, 2014, 4:51 PM

Add 20 thousand odd Randelas for the front fork. Then also keep in mind the S-works frameset includes a fork and carbon seatpost for R60 000 randelas, and then we are pretty much even stevens, give or take.

But then you have to ride a Spez :ph34r:

Brand banter aside, if Patrick's description is accurate, then the Ninetyfive29c should be a different design philosophy to S-works. Are they really comparable? I'm not totally clued up on Spez.

Johny Bravo

Oct 29, 2014, 4:54 PM

But then you have to ride a Spez :ph34r:

Brand banter aside, if Patrick's description is accurate, then the Ninetyfive29c should be a different design philosophy to S-works. Are they really comparable? I'm not totally clued up on Spez.

They will be very different, but very much the same. I am looking forward to riding this bike.

Oct 29, 2014, 5:09 PM

They will be very different, but very much the same. I am looking forward to riding this bike.

Yeah, longer and slacker. So a more capable machine and also more compliant for long days in the saddle, when a long stemmed twitch monster would be a bad thing.
Johny Bravo

Oct 29, 2014, 5:33 PM

Yeah, longer and slacker. So a more capable machine and also more compliant for long days in the saddle, when a long stemmed twitch monster would be a bad thing.

I will reserve judgement till I ride one. Vipa had a lot of hype, I really dont like it. This however looks promising. 

Would still rather have the oneten carbon. 

Oct 29, 2014, 5:54 PM

I will reserve judgement till I ride one. Vipa had a lot of hype, I really dont like it. This however looks promising.

Would still rather have the oneten carbon.

Yeah, agreed. On the 110 and the hype. ..

Add a comment

You must log in to comment