Tech

Bike check: Bulls Wild Edge Team 29

· By Nick · 24 comments

At the end of Stage 3 of this year’s Absa Cape Epic at Oak Valley, I took a brief look at Karl Platt’s Bulls Wild Edge Team 29.

Bulls Wild Edge Team 29 1.jpg

Bulls Wild Edge Team 29 2.jpg

Bulls Wild Edge Team 29 3.jpg

Platt’s bike features a Shimano XTR drivetrain. Interestingly, he goes with the electronic Di2 gear shifting components in the rear and sticks to mechanical parts in the front. Shimano XTR was chosen again for the brakes and rear hub.

Bulls Wild Edge Team 29 4.jpg

Bulls Wild Edge Team 29 5.jpg

RockShox’s RS-1 dominated amongst the pro men at this year’s Absa Cape Epic. Along with the RS-1 comes SRAM’s predictive steering front hub.

The remainder of the wheelset features Stan’s Race Gold rims laced with Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Team Bulls went with tubeless Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres.

Bulls Wild Edge Team 29 6.jpg

Bulls Wild Edge Team 29 7.jpg

The Wild Edge uses a RockShox Monarch XX (with remote lockout) shock in the rear. The bottle cage in the frame has refreshingly rudimentary look to it.

Bulls Wild Edge Team 29 8.jpg

Platt’s cockpit is somewhat busy with the Garmin mounted on the stem, two shifters plus a Di2 display, GoPro mount, lockout switch, brake levers and bar ends.

Bulls Wild Edge Team 29 9.jpg

Bulls Wild Edge Team 29 10.jpg

Bulls Wild Edge Team 29 11.jpg

Last but not least, the Sahmurai Sword tubeless plug kit. Never again will I ignore bar caps. I would have missed this innovative device, if it weren’t for an enthusiastic mechanic and Stefan Sahm pointing them out.

Related posts

Comments

rock

Mar 25, 2015, 3:41 PM

That rudimentary bottle cage happens to be a Titanium King Cage - the best there is! 

GoLefty!!

Mar 25, 2015, 4:36 PM

This bike is simplicity at its finest

Mongoose!

Mar 25, 2015, 4:39 PM

Eish. XTR name on crank distroyed. Will that be incorrect bike setup. Cleats not set correctly?

Hairy

Mar 25, 2015, 4:48 PM

Seems like the RS fork was under many a pro's christmass tree :P

Odinson

Mar 25, 2015, 4:50 PM

Gorgeous bike. Damn shame they're not available in SA.

Lexx

Mar 25, 2015, 5:00 PM

I think they will hit massive record sales in Pretoria if they open a shop near Floptus... :ph34r:  :whistling:  :oops:

rock

Mar 25, 2015, 6:13 PM

they don't make a size "S"  :(

rock

Mar 25, 2015, 6:16 PM

rumor is they will ride this next year

http://www.bulls.de/fileadmin/res/bulls.de/public/img/bikes/bulls-e-stream-fs-3_557-68246_630px.png

craig82

Mar 25, 2015, 6:28 PM

Isn't it called "predictive steering hub"? I wonder what an "adaptive steering hub" does?

Nick

Mar 25, 2015, 6:32 PM

Isn't it called "predictive steering hub"? I wonder what an "adaptive steering hub" does?

Correct  :blush: It appears that "adaptive" is the only word not used in SRAM's marketing material.

EmptyB

Mar 25, 2015, 6:33 PM

Niiiiiice

Spoke101

Mar 25, 2015, 6:45 PM

For the life of me I can't understand why they are running Race Gold's. Those things are like wet noodles, brake hard enough and the front tyre will touch the fork.

Surly they could get a set of Valors?

Redlight

Mar 25, 2015, 6:52 PM

That rudimentary bottle cage happens to be a Titanium King Cage - the best there is!

really. Who all knew that?

tubed

Mar 25, 2015, 7:14 PM

crankset looks similar to the 960 of years back, those were great cranks, but a non-standard bcd messed up the availability of chainrings

silver stainless steel spokes?!, don't these guys know that the local bike shops will look down on you if they aren't black spokes

great looking bikes

Shebeen

Mar 25, 2015, 7:30 PM

Judicialwhat's wrong with di2 for fd?Surely a hybrid combo ways more than either on its own.... And these guys obsess over weight

GoLefty!!

Mar 25, 2015, 8:08 PM

crankset looks similar to the 960 of years back, those were great cranks, but a non-standard bcd messed up the availability of chainrings

silver stainless steel spokes?!, don't these guys know that the local bike shops will look down on you if they aren't black spokes

great looking bikes

stupid prices messed with the availability of the chainrings.

R1800-00 for a set in 2003 was silly money. now its a walk in the park

tubed

Mar 25, 2015, 8:13 PM

stupid prices messed with the availability of the chainrings.

R1800-00 for a set in 2003 was silly money. now its a walk in the park

aha, now I remember, you could get them, but a new crankset was the cheaper option than the replacement rings alone, everything seems 104bcd now, so no chance of putting a single chainring on there any time soon, its still a beautiful looking crankset

AdrianDJ

Mar 26, 2015, 7:12 AM

I got to take a good close look at Stephan Sahms bike, with a bit of his own handy work he managed to mount a second bottle cage inside the front triangle, mounted slightly away from the seattube with a "spacer" (homemade) (exactly where Karls "bomb" is) pretty nifty. he said he hates mounting a bottle cage on his seat post as he says it messes with the bikes centre of gravity (many opinions on that i guess)

Interestingly enough, we asked him what he thinks of the Di2 he was running, his words "do you want an honest answer?" he said " he doesn't like the feel of the shifters, but that it does work well"

rock

Mar 26, 2015, 11:45 AM

with those upside down forks they can mount bottle cages on the uppers :)

one on either side

Rick Sanchez

Mar 26, 2015, 7:50 PM

No Wonder Platt can't win the Epic, his bike must weigh a ton compared to the Specialized bikes with the 1x11.

Brian Fantana

Mar 26, 2015, 8:02 PM

No Wonder Platt can't win the Epic, his bike must weigh a ton compared to the Specialized bikes with the 1x11.

According to Bikeradar Kulhavey's bike weighed in at 11,5kg. Not really that light.

DJuice

Mar 26, 2015, 8:24 PM

I got to take a good close look at Stephan Sahms bike, with a bit of his own handy work he managed to mount a second bottle cage inside the front triangle, mounted slightly away from the seattube with a "spacer" (homemade) (exactly where Karls "bomb" is) pretty nifty. he said he hates mounting a bottle cage on his seat post as he says it messes with the bikes centre of gravity (many opinions on that i guess)

Interestingly enough, we asked him what he thinks of the Di2 he was running, his words "do you want an honest answer?" he said " he doesn't like the feel of the shifters, but that it does work well"

Pictures of Stefans bike?
N-I-N-J-A

Mar 30, 2015, 1:03 PM

Gorgeous bike. Damn shame they're not available in SA.

Anyone going to Germany any time soon?

http://www.bulls.de/en/bikes/show/wild-edge-29

€2.999,00, just under R40k in today's money...

I'll take one please!

Mr X

Mar 30, 2015, 1:22 PM

Wow Rocket Rons vs marie biscuit semi-slick Renegades (Songo/Spez)!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment