Matt is our in-house Momsen VIPA expert, having ridden a 2015 VIPA XT for past two and half years, including the 2015 Absa Cape Epic. As a result, he's been handed the new 2017 VIPA TWO for the year. Anyway, enough about us, let's take a closer look at the bike.
The Momsen VIPA TWO features a single ring full Shimano XT drivetrain and with it, Momsen's stiffer beefier 1x specific chainstay. The component spec is bang on and the bike is ready to race with a RockShox SID fork, Stan's ZTR Crest rims, XT brakes, and Vee Tire Co.'s fast rolling Rail Tracker tyres. The VIPA's 80mm of rear travel is controlled by a Fox Float performance series shock.
The yellow and matte black colour scheme was initially a bit of a shock but the colours have grown on us. The bike has already been affectionately named the bumble bee. Great attention to detail is evident in the branding and colour scheme, which has been rolled out across every component on the bike. Bars, stem, seatpost and saddle all bear Momsen branding with yellow decals on a black background.
Momsen are proud of their African roots. This is evident on the top tube which carries their "Forged in the Untamed" tagline accompanied by a contour map of Port Elizabeth's Baaken Valley trails - the home of Momsen Bikes.
Matt is looking forward to releasing this bike into the wild to see how it performs over the coming year.
2017 Momsen VIPA TWO specifications:
- SizesSmall, Medium, Large
- FrameFull Carbon Front Triangle, Full Carbon 1x Rear Triangle, 80mm Rear Wheel Travel, Dual Waterbottle Mount Design ( for Medium and Large Size ), Integrated Toptube Box ( I.T.B )
- ForkRockShox SID RL, 100mm Travel, ONELOC Remote Lockout, 15mm Thru-Axle Lowers
- Rear ShockFox Float DPS, Performance Series, Firm Lockout
- ChainwheelShimano XT M8000 32T for 11 Speed
- Bottom BracketShimano BB-MT800 Pressfit
- R. DerailleurShimano XT M8000 Shadow Plus for 11 Speed
- ShifterShimano XT M8000 for 11 Speed
- Brake LeversShimano XT M8000 Hydraulic
- BrakesShimano XT M8000 Short Lever / SM-RT81 Centerlock Rotors / 160mm Front and Rear
- CassetteShimano XT M8000 11-46T for 11 Speed
- RimsStan’s ZTR Crest Mk3 Tubeless Ready, 32H
- TiresVee Tire Co. Rail Tracker Custom Logo, 72tpi Folding Bead, 29 x 2.20 Front and Rear
- HandlebarMomsen Oversize Flat Wide Alloy, 700mm, 6 Degree Sweep, 31.8mm Oversize
- StemMomsen 3D Forged Oval, 31.8mm Oversize ( S – 90mm, M – 100mm, L – 100mm)
- SeatpostMomsen Alloy, 31.6mm
- SeatMomsen 2017 Custom, Composite Base, Chromoly Rail
- HeadsetCustom Integrated Taper for VIPA
- ColorsMomsen Yellow/ Matte Carbon
- ChainShimano HG701 for 11 Speed
- HubsetShimano XT M8000 Front 15mm Thru-Axle, FH-M8000 Rear 142 x 12mm Thru-Axle
- SpokesStainless Butted with Alloy Nipples
- GripsKraton Composite Lock-On
- Advertised Weight11.85kg (Size: Large, Note: excludes pedals)
- Retail PriceR62,500.00
Find out more:
To learn more about the VIPA TWO and other Momsen bikes, visit the Momsen Bikes website here.
You can also follow the latest news from Momsen Bikes on the following channels: