Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3
Cannondale launched the Scalpel Si as a reimagination of the cross-country bike with an updated geometry that acknowledges the increasingly technical nature of cross-country racing, an offset drivetrain, and a general nip and tuck to streamline the frame and suspension.
The Scalpel Si Carbon 3 is driven by a mixture of Shimano XTR and XT drive components with a Cannondale HollowGram Si crankset. As you would expect, a Lefty 'fork' does duty up front while a RockShox Monarch XX shock controls the rear travel. Our test bike has a Fox Transfer seatpost but don't expect to see this fitted as standard on retail bikes.
- FrameScalpel-Si, 100mm, BallisTec Carbon, Zero Pivot seatstay, PF30, 1.5 Si head tube, Ai Offset
- ForkLefty 2.0, 100mm, XLR Isolated Damper Technology with XC+ tune and XLoc Full Sprint remote, 55mm offset
- Rear shockRockShox Monarch XX, 100mm, Full Sprint remote
- RimsStan's Notubes ZTR CREST, 32 hole, tubeless ready, 23mm ID
- HubsCZero Straight Pull, Lefty 60 front, 39-point engagement rear, 142x12, 28h (Ai Offset dish - Rear)
- SpokesGrand Forza Double Butted (Ai Offset dish - Rear)
- TyresSchwalbe Racing Ralph EVO Snakeskin, 29x2.25", folding, tubeless ready
- CranksetCannondale HollowGram Si, hollow forged, BB30, 32t Ai SpideRing
- Bottom BracketCannondale Alloy PressFit30
- ChainShimano CN-HG601, 11-speed
- CassetteShimano XT, 11-42, 11-speed
- Rear DerailleurShimano XTR Shadow Plus, 11-speed
- ShiftersShimano XT, 11-speed
- HandlebarCannondale CZero flat, Carbon, 760mm
- GripsCannondale X1 Single Lock Grips
- StemCannondale C1, 6061 Alloy, 1.5", 31.8, -5 deg.
- HeadsetCannondale HeadShok Si
- BrakesShimano XT, 160/160mm
- SaddlePrologo Zero II STN
- SeatpostCannondale C2 Carbon, Micro Adjust, 31.6x350mm (S,M) 400mm (L,X)
- SizesXS, S (27.5") / M,L,XL (29")
Specialized Audax shoes
Named after the long distance sport of randonneuring, the Specialized Audax shoes are designed to be comfortable during long days in the saddle. The upper is made from a soft synthetic leather with a low profile around the heel and a wide toe box. The shoe is fixed to the foot using a BOA closure system and velcro straps. The outer sole is FACT carbon with a Body Geometry inner sole and footbed.
The Specialized Audax shoes retail for R3,499 and are available from your local Specialized dealer.
On the mountain bike, we've paired the Continental X-King and Race King. These tyres both feature Continental's BlackChili Compound and ProTection casing. The BlackChili rubber compound claims to provide impressive grip and rolling resistance with low wear over high mileage. The ProTection casing aims to reduce damage and punctures to the tread and sidewalls. We hope it works, as these tyres are set to be tested on the rough trails of Lesotho.
On the road, we are testing Continental's GrandSport Race all-round road tyre. This tyre uses Continental's PureGrip compound and NyTechBreaker, a nylon layer just below the tread which claims to reduce the risk of puncturing. The tyres on test are 25C wide and will be ridden using Continental tubes.