Tech

First Look Friday: Evil The Wreckoning, Mavic Cosmic Pro, and Morewood Mamba

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 16 comments

First Look Friday is an introduction to the gear that we are currently testing for review. This week we’ve got Evil’s The Wreckoning; Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C road wheels, and a Morewood Mamba dropper seatpost.

Evil The Wreckoning

Big travel 29 inch bikes are nothing new but bike manufacturers seem to be growing more accepting of these wagon wheel sized mountain crushers. Evil (after seeing the capabilities of their shorter travel The Following) have jumped right into the all mountain 29er market with their The Wreckoning.

Evil The Wreckoning.jpg

The Wreckoning is a full carbon, 161 mm travel all mountain bike designed around 29 inch wheels. The bike features Dave Weagle’s highly regarded Delta System suspension which worked very well on The Following we tested earlier this year.

Evil claim to have built a bike that descends like a DH bike but climbs like something with far less travel. It’s a bold claim but we think Evil might just be onto something – but you’ll have to wait for the full review.

If you want to find out more about The Wreckoning or other Evil Bikes, chat to the team at Trail Tech Cycles.

Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C wheelset

The Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C are a 40 mm rim profile carbon clincher wheelset. The wheels are superlight weighing in at 1,450 grams (645 g front/ rear 805 g) for the set.

Mavic Cosmic Pro SL Carbon 1.jpg

A laser treated brake track is said it result in predictable braking in all weather conditions while a new hub system promises faster engagement. We’ll be hitting the road to see how well these wheels perform in the real world.

Mavic Cosmic Pro SL Carbon 3.jpg
Mavic Cosmic Pro SL Carbon 2.jpg
Mavic are running a promotion through two stores (Cyclesphere KZN and Giant Cape Town) where customers can test ride the Cosmic wheelsets. More info here.

Morewood Mamba dropper seatpost

Morewood Mamba dropper seatpost 2.jpg

Morewood have been somewhat dormant the past few years. This is all set to change with a new lineup of bikes promised to be revealed very soon. For now, however, the company is set to release the new Mamba adjustable seat post.

Morewood Mamba dropper seatpost 1.jpg
Morewood Mamba dropper seatpost 3.jpg

The Mamba will have 125mm of travel and fit 30.9 and 31.6 diameter seatposts. The posts will be available as internally or externally routable models. Our test Mamba seatpost weighed in at 646 grams without cabling and lever.

The Mamba is set to be available online from October with a retail price of R3,695.

Comments

Thermophage

Sep 30, 2016, 10:35 AM

That Evil..... splooge

AlanD

Sep 30, 2016, 10:44 AM

R3695 for a cable actuated dropper..eish
Evil...my oh my...

Spoke101

Sep 30, 2016, 12:23 PM

R3695 for a cable actuated dropper..eish

Evil...my oh my...

Tend to agree, overpriced and overweight for R3700 with limited selection.

Odinson

Sep 30, 2016, 12:56 PM

That Mamba lever looks like something machined in a backyard shed in Benoni.

Dat Wreckoning, tho!

igg

Sep 30, 2016, 1:02 PM

Clearly I need to replace the boring black stickers with something brighter on my Following :D.

NickGM

Sep 30, 2016, 5:09 PM

"Descends like a dh bike but with no comprimise on the climbs" - every review I've read on long travel 29ers this year.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Sep 30, 2016, 5:39 PM

"Descends like a dh bike but with no comprimise on the climbs" - every review I've read on bikes this year.

Fixed

Matchstix

Oct 1, 2016, 7:02 AM

Was coldplay playing playing with background?

Rocket-Boy

Oct 1, 2016, 9:36 AM

errmeergheeerd that wreckoning... Im madly in love.

BaGearA

Oct 1, 2016, 12:57 PM

ONE thing I like about the dropper is that the cable is fixed to the collar , cable droppers that are connected to the seat and have to move with it make it a litlle more complicated than it needs to be.

Capricorn

Oct 5, 2016, 6:32 PM

i have the serious hots for those wheels :drool:

any idea on price?

Iwan Kemp

Oct 5, 2016, 7:20 PM

i have the serious hots for those wheels :drool:

any idea on price?

Think its R7k per rim then custom build whatever Hub you want.

Capricorn

Oct 5, 2016, 8:16 PM

Think its R7k per rim then custom build whatever Hub you want.

u got rims, i got $$.

Iwan Kemp

Oct 6, 2016, 5:20 AM

u got rims, i got $$.

A match made in heaven! PM on its way in a bit

Capricorn

Oct 6, 2016, 6:26 AM

A match made in heaven! PM on its way in a bit

hehehe roger that.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment