Tech

First Look Friday: PowerTap goodies & Bike Protection Solution

· By Press Office · 11 comments

First Look Friday is an introduction to the products that we are currently testing for review. This week we’re featuring a host of PowerTap goodies and Bike Protection Solution.

PowerTap

PowerTap P1 Pedals

Offering a unique solution compared to other power pedals on the market, the P1 pedals by PowerTap are self-contained units, having all the electronics and the battery, one AAA per side, contained in the 196g pedal. As with other offerings, Look Keo cleats are used .

ccs-62657-0-68800700-1439549633.jpg

Communication with other devices is either through Bluetooth Smart (aka 4.0) and ANT+ and the pedals are fully plug-and-play. It automatically detects the install angle, accurate to within 0.5 degrees, and it also learns the crank arm length after a few revolutions using the built-in gyro. The pedal knows where it is in the stroke, as the gyro gives a precise north/south tracking. Cadence is measured through a digital encoder, as there isn’t a accelerometer. As with all PowerTap power meters accuracy is a claimed +/- 1.5 percent.

ccs-62657-0-58249600-1439549642.jpg

Although cornering clearance is reduced (as a mountain biker I don’t see this as an issue) and an increase in stack height, the Q-factor stays the same as a standard pedal

PowerTap Joule GPS+

ccs-62657-0-57708100-1439549618.jpg

ANT+ allows the unit to connect with power meters, heart rate straps and other devices and sensors. With Bluetooth, the Joule GPS+ can do a wireless upload to PowerTap’s mobile app, which in turn can be linked to auto-upload to popular training sites like Strava and TrainingPeaks.

PowerTap PowerCal

The PowerCal is a chest strap that converts your heart rate into an ANT+ watts signal that can then be displayed on the CycleOps Joule or any other compatible unit.

ccs-62657-0-44482300-1439549600.jpg
ccs-62657-0-54659800-1439549609.jpg

The calculation is done using an algorithm which quantifies your effort on the bike, providing a real-time ‘wattage’ number as you ride.

Features

• Signal Transmission: Bluetooth Smart (Cycling Power Service, Heart Rate Service, Device Info Service) or ANT+ (2.4 GHz)
  • Operational Temperature: 0-40C/32-103F
  • Battery Type: CR2032
  • Battery Life: 400 Operational Hours (Bluetooth); 600 Operational Hours (ANT+)
  • The PowerCal is not a waterproof device and should not be submerged in water
  • PowerCal BLE is compatible exclusively with the PowerTap mobile application on iPhone 4S or higher.
  • PowerCal ANT+ is compatible with android and iPhone/iPad devices with use of appropriate ANT+ adapter key
  • PowerCal ANT+ is not compatible with cervos (little yellow computer) or older grey indoor cycle consoles.

Bike Protection Solution (BPS)

Looking after your prized possession is not always an easy task and although the odd nick or scratch is inevitable, especially on a mountain bike, we all like to keep our bikes as scratch-free as possible. A local cyclist (and fellow hubber) set about creating a bike protection kit that was up to the task. It has gone through several developments and is finally ready to ship.

The kit includes a pre-cut sheet with a down/top tube protector with a fish bone effect on the one end to aid application on bent tubes. A plain one is included along with protection for top tube, sides of the fork lowers, chain and rear stays, crank arms, head tube as well as a few additional patches to protect the rest of the frame from rub.

ccs-62657-0-16090500-1439533916.jpgBike Protection Solution sheet.

It ships in a sturdy cardboard tube with a full set of instructions as well as a bottle of cleaning solution to clean the area that the BPS is going to be applied to. As far as pricing goes, the kit sells for R300. Shipping is country wide using Postnet’s counter to counter service at an additional charge of R100.

Bulk orders of 5-10 kits qualify for a discount and orders exceeding 10 sets will qualify for a further discount, with bike shops receiving a special rate. To order you can either PM Gregg Barlow HERE or contact him on 083 303 7012.

From the Manufacturer:

BPS is manufactured from Automotive grade 325 Micron modified PVC with a high performance acrylic based special automotive adhesive backing.

It features outstanding durability and outdoor performance, excellent dimensional stability as well as excellent UV light and humidity resistance. This product is designed to protect your bicycle frame from scratches, small impacts and cable rub. It does not however make you or your bicycle indestructible!

Comments

BDF

Aug 14, 2015, 1:32 PM

P1 Pedals look interesting. I wonder what the expected ZAR price will be and I would like to see some comparison between P1, Polar and Garmin Vector pedals. That would be cool. Perhaps DC Rainmaker will do it for us!

Sharkie 2

Aug 14, 2015, 1:46 PM

P1 Pedals look interesting. I wonder what the expected ZAR price will be and I would like to see some comparison between P1, Polar and Garmin Vector pedals. That would be cool. Perhaps DC Rainmaker will do it for us!

About R16995.00....

Bianchisti

Aug 14, 2015, 2:41 PM

Apparently P1's is supposed to be far more painless than the Vectors, although that could be the marketing talk. Let's see once it's rolled out for use.

Price wise seems good. Isn't the Vectors retailing for more than 20k?

Compared to crank based systems still pricey though.

BDF

Aug 15, 2015, 5:53 PM

Price looks pretty good compared to Vectors. Still a bucket of money though!

Iwan Kemp

Aug 17, 2015, 6:47 AM

I have updated the article with contact details for those interested in the BPS

BicyclePower

Aug 17, 2015, 4:50 PM

the pricing has been set at R16 995.00 incl VAT although we are watching the exchange rate hike again..... here is a review from DC Rainmaker . http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/08/powertap-p1-pedals-review.html

BicyclePower

Aug 17, 2015, 4:51 PM

About R16995.00....

Pricing includes an industry leading 2 year warranty on the PowerTap P1 pedals !! 

BicyclePower

Aug 17, 2015, 4:52 PM

Pricing includes an industry leading 2 year warranty on the PowerTap P1 pedals !! 

And a crash replacement policy of 40% off the MSRP when in a crash.... again this is the only pedals based PM to offer a crash replacement policy.  

BicyclePower

Aug 17, 2015, 4:53 PM

Apparently P1's is supposed to be far more painless than the Vectors, although that could be the marketing talk. Let's see once it's rolled out for use. Price wise seems good. Isn't the Vectors retailing for more than 20k? Compared to crank based systems still pricey though.

have a read of the DC rainmaker review, he had them for the better part of 6 weeks and no issues, in the units we have sold locally we have had no issues with the pedals. 

Bianchisti

Aug 18, 2015, 4:43 PM

have a read of the DC rainmaker review, he had them for the better part of 6 weeks and no issues, in the units we have sold locally we have had no issues with the pedals.

I get you but let's give it a year or so in use by the consumer. Not to say you or DCR is not trustworthy of course. I'm happy to be "proven wrong/totally bowled over" by this product.

Just how I feel. And so you know. I once said I wont touch Vectors for a year or two after its release was delayed so many times. Against all this I stood in a shop one day and allowed myself to be talked into buying it only days after its release. Touch wood I haven't regretted that decision too often.

BicyclePower

Aug 19, 2015, 5:21 AM

I get you but let's give it a year or so in use by the consumer. Not to say you or DCR is not trustworthy of course. I'm happy to be "proven wrong/totally bowled over" by this product.

Just how I feel. And so you know. I once said I wont touch Vectors for a year or two after its release was delayed so many times. Against all this I stood in a shop one day and allowed myself to be talked into buying it only days after its release. Touch wood I haven't regretted that decision too often.

i fully get that and think its a wise choice, the PowerTap P1's were technically ready last year but chose not to bring them to market till testing over a longer period was done. thus far apart from one or two bugs with the Garmin head units the P1's seem pretty stable. the bugs are being corrected by Garmin. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment