Tech

First Look Friday: Scott Spark; Volvo Bike Rack; MRP Ramp Control Cartridge

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 18 comments

First Look Friday is an introduction to the gear that we are currently testing for review. This week we’ve got the brand new Scott Spark; a Volvo bike rack, and MRP’s Ramp Control Cartridge.

Scott Spark 940

Scott Spark 940 3.jpg

Since July, when the new Scott Spark range was announced, I’ve been itching to give one a ride. Scott took a leap with the 2017 Spark range, making a big departure from the previous design, with a whole new suspension layout plus more travel, an aggressive longer and slacker geometry, and modern standards like Boost axle spacing and metric shocks.

Scott Spark 940 1.jpg
Scott Spark 940 2.jpg

We are reviewing the Scott Spark 940 which is the top specification aluminium frame model. It is well equipped with a Shimano XT drivetrain, a Fox 34 fork paired with a Fox Nude shock both set to 120 mm, and Fox’s Transfer adjustable seat post. The cockpit and rims (with Shimano hubs) are from Scott’s Syncros range.

The Scott Spark 940 retails for R46,000 and is available from your local Scott dealer.

Scott Spark 940 specifications:

• FrameSpark 3 Alloy SL 6011; custom butted Hydroformed tubes; tapered Headtube / BB92 / DM hanger; dropouts for 148x12mm
  • ForkFOX 34 Float Performance Air; Grip 3 / 3-Modes / 15x110mm QR axle / tapered steerer; Reb. Adj. / Lockout / 120mm travel
  • ShockFOX NUDE Trunnion; SCOTT custom w. travel / geo adj.; 3 modes: Lockout – Traction Control -Descend; DPS / EVOL / Reb. Adj.; Travel 120 – 85 – Lockout / 165X45mm
  • Remote SystemSCOTT TwinLoc Remote Technology; 3 modes front and rear / integ. Grip clamp
  • HeadsetSyncros Pro Press Fit / Tapered 1.5″ – 1 1/8″; OD 50/61mm / ID 44/55mm
  • Rear DerailleurShimano XT RD-M8000 SGS; DM / Shadow Plus / 22 Speed
  • Front DerailleurShimano XT FD-M8020-D / side swing
  • ShiftersShimano XT SL-M8000-B-I / Rapidfire Plus; 2 way releaseIspec 2 clamp
  • BrakesShimano M615 Disc; 180mm F & R / SM-RT64 CL Rotor
  • CranksetShimano XT FC-M8000-B2 / Hollowtech 2; 900 Series: 34×24 T
  • BB-SetShimano BB-MT500-PA / shell 41x92mm
  • HandlebarSyncros FL2.0 T-Bar / Alloy 6061; T shape Flat / 9° / 740mm; Syncros Pro lock-on grips
  • StemSyncros FL2.0 / 6061 Alloy; 6° / integrated Top Cup / 31.8mm / 1 1/8″
  • SeatpostFOX Transfer Dropper Remote; 31.6mm / S size 100mm / M, L & XL 125mm
  • SeatSyncros XR2.0 / CROM rails
  • Front HubShimano HB-M618-B CL / 15x110mm
  • Rear HubShimano FH-M618-B CL / Boost 12x148mm RWS axle
  • ChainKMC X11L
  • CassetteShimano SLX CS-M7000 / 11-42 T
  • SpokesDT Swiss Champion Black 1.8mm
  • RimsSyncros X-23 / 32H / Tubeless ready
  • TyresMaxxis Forekaster / 2.35 / 120TPI Kevlar Bead TR Tubeless Ready / EXO / 3C maxx speed
  • Claimed weight13.1 kg
  • Retail PriceR46,000

Volvo bike rack

Volvo bike racks aim to provide a safe and convenient way of transporting your bikes. These racks attach to the cars towing hitch. The racks feature rubber coated frame holders and wheel ratcheting straps to secure the bike in place. The wheel holders are adjustable to easily fit your bike’s wheelbase. Should you need to get into the back, the bike rack can be tilted to allow the boot door to open. Both the rack and the frame holders are lockable.

Volvo bike rack 1.jpg

Volvo bike rack 2.jpg
Volvo bike rack 3.jpg
Volvo bike rack 4.jpg

The Volvo bike racks are currently available from CMH Volvo Dealers in Cape Town and Johannesburg at the following prices:

2 Bike – R6,200 (Including Electrical Adaptor)
3 Bike – R7,950 (Including Electrical Adaptor)
4 Bike – R9,650 (Including Electrical Adaptor)

MRP Ramp Control Cartridge

The MRP Ramp Control Cartridge brings custom on-the-trail tuning to certain RockShox forks. The Ramp Control Cartridge helps with setting end-stroke control and bottom-out force.

MRP Ramp Control Cartridge 1.jpg
MRP Ramp Control Cartridge 2.jpg

The major benefit here is convenience. Instead of playing with internal volume spacers which require you to dismantle the fork, the Ramp Control Cartridge allows you to make similar adjustments by turning a knob. Great for making adjustments to changing trail conditions or simply experimenting with your fork’s settings.

The MRP Ramp Control Cartridge is compatible with the current generation Pike, Lyrik, Yari, and Boxxer World Cup forks (Solo-Air models only) and retails for R2,600.

Comments

Pulse

Oct 14, 2016, 10:49 AM

Those Volvo racks are nice! Made by Thule, just branded as Volvo (some of them you can see the Thule sticker scratched out with a magic marker), and a lot cheaper

Mawbs

Oct 14, 2016, 10:51 AM

one question are the Hubs on that Scott ( Shimano HB-M618-B CL / 15x110mm )  is that a Cup&Cone system or sealed bearing ??

Crosschain

Oct 14, 2016, 11:08 AM

C&C.... Deore I think 

lechatnoir

Oct 14, 2016, 11:14 AM

one question are the Hubs on that Scott ( Shimano HB-M618-B CL / 15x110mm )  is that a Cup&Cone system or sealed bearing ??

Cup and cone. Do Shimano even make cartridge bearing hubs? Wonder what tyre size one can squeeze in there? +-size anyone?

Mawbs

Oct 14, 2016, 11:16 AM

:thumbdown:  why on a nearly 50k bike do they not have a sealed bearing system. 

Bizkit031

Oct 14, 2016, 11:47 AM

The Volvo rack is made by Thule and that is the same as the Velocompact that Thule sell for 8k.Got mine from them 2 weeks ago and took it to Thule and they say it's actually better then the one they sell because those lights look a lot better. Make sure to get the adapter plug when ordering with it,the price on that plug is crazy at R500. Found the same plug from a trailer place for R140 so Thule and Volvo are taking the piss with us.

Spoke101

Oct 14, 2016, 12:06 PM

Shimano have never made a sealed bearing hub. So your 200k bikes rolling on Dura-Ace wheels are still cup and cone.

Grease_Monkey

Oct 14, 2016, 12:39 PM

These Volvo racks are Thule Velocompact racks. There is even Thule branding on it. Got one a couple weeks ago, and works like a charm - besides from branding and shape of lights they are identical to Thule VeloCompact.

nonky

Oct 14, 2016, 12:49 PM

The Volvo rack is made by Thule and that is the same as the Velocompact that Thule sell for 8k.Got mine from them 2 weeks ago and took it to Thule and they say it's actually better then the one they sell because those lights look a lot better. Make sure to get the adapter plug when ordering with it,the price on that plug is crazy at R500. Found the same plug from a trailer place for R140 so Thule and Volvo are taking the piss with us.

Same story with the branded stuff they make for other manufacturers

Serious Panda

Oct 14, 2016, 12:50 PM

Well done Scott for moving the rear shock to the correct position!

Bizkit031

Oct 14, 2016, 12:57 PM

Well done Scott for moving the rear shock to the correct position!

Wahahahahaha here we go again with the Friday shock nonse
Serious Panda

Oct 14, 2016, 1:02 PM

Silverback Sido1 can be bought for under R30k and is 1kg lighter  That`s R16k less for 1kg less.

Edit: I see it has the Fox 34 and a dropper post adding weight, but still I think its too much money for too much weight for a xc racing bike.

Mawbs

Oct 14, 2016, 1:09 PM

Silverback Sido1 can be bought for under R30k and is 1kg lighter  That`s R16k less for 1kg less.

Edit: I see it has the Fox 34 and a dropper post adding weight, but still I think its too much money for too much weight for a xc racing bike.

ya but the Sido is an XC bike ..whereas the scott is more Trail ...slacker head angle..dropper post etc

BaGearA

Oct 14, 2016, 1:17 PM

I know but one thing with cup and cone hubs are that if you just give them a little attention now and then they Will last forever,But yeah I also prefer cartridge.

Don't however feel shimano will ever change.

Mawbs

Oct 17, 2016, 12:56 PM

must say i was riding with a friend on Sunday who has the exact bike tested here and it is very nice in the flesh...Ticks all the boxes for a do it all machine. i think if you ditched the wheels for for some Wide lightning's or the like then it would be smoking

Headshot

Oct 17, 2016, 2:04 PM

Ramp Control cartridge  R2.6 k !!!!!. Thats an epic fail IMO. 

Iwan Kemp

Oct 17, 2016, 5:45 PM

:blink:

- SIDO 1 = 100mm XC Bike, Spark 940 = 120mm Trail bike

- Spark has 2.35 tyres vs 2.1

- Spark has dropper

- Spark comes with Fox 34

- Full XT vs SLX / XT mix

- Sido comes with Crest rims that have a 86kg weight limit

We get it, you're a Silverback fan and rightly so as they too make great bikes. But surely not EVERYONE else can be making worse bikes than them?

Odinson

Nov 22, 2016, 2:26 PM

Wrong thread.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment