SwiftCarbon Ultravox RS-1
The Swift Ultravox RS-1 is a full carbon race machine which, on paper, provides unbeatable value. The RS-1 is the second tier in the Ultravox lineup behind the Ti (Team issue) version as ridden by Aussie based Drapac Pro Cycling team. The two models differ only in the carbon fibres used in the layup with the Ti version utilising some of the highest quality (and most expensive) options.
The Ultravox RS-1 is available locally with three build options: Shimano 105, Ultegra and Ultegra Race (including Zipp Firecrest 202/303/404s). Our test model is the middle option kitted out with full Shimano Ultegra, Ritchey WCS alloy finishing kit and Mavic Aksium Elite wheels.
- FrameUltravox RS-1 T700/T800
- ForkSwiftCarbon 700C carbon fibre
- HeadsetSwiftCarbon 1.1/8”-1.1/2” tapered
- ShiftersShimano Ultegra
- DerailleursShimano Ultegra
- CranksetShimano Ultegra
- BrakesShimano Ultegra
- Bottom bracketShimano Ultegra
- CassetteShimano Ultegra, 11-28t
- HandlebarsRitchey WCS Alloy
- StemRitchey WCS Alloy
- SeatpostRitchey WCS Alloy
- SaddleRitchey Streem V3 WCS
- WheelsMavic Aksium Elite
- TyresMavic, 700x25c Yksion
- Retail priceR38,600.00
Giant Rail helmet
The Rail is Giant's take on the extended cover trail and enduro helmet.
The Rail is packed with features. An adjustable (and removable) visor allows for compatibility with goggles and eyewear, while out back an integrated goggle strap holds things in place. There is a spot in front designed for easy application of GoPro stick-on mounts. While 18 air vents are used to keep the rider cool with internal channels for better airflow.
The Giant Rail retails for R1,595.
Specialized Fast Trak Control 2Bliss Ready tyres
The Specialized Fast Trak Control 2Bliss Ready tyres use the same tread as the weight-weenie S-Works version but with the Control casing cut resistance is beefed up by 15%. We have the 29er 2.2 and 2.0 widths on test, both coming in under the claimed weight 600 grams and 560 grams on our scale respectively.
- Casing: 60 TPI for 15% improved cut-resistance over S-Works model
- Bead: Foldable
- Butyl wrapped bead = 2Bliss Ready
- Compound: 60a
- 26 x 2.0"; psi 35-65; approximate weight 540g
- 26 x 2.2"; psi 35-65; approximate weight 580g
- 650b x 2.0"; psi 35-65; approximate weight 565g
- 650b x 2.2"; psi 35-65; approximate weight 600g
- 29 x 2.0"; psi 35-65; approximate weight 580g
- 29 x 2.2"; psi 35-65; approximate weight 620g
A Fast Trak Control 2Bliss Ready tyre retails for R489.00.