Tech

First Look Friday: Trek Top Fuel SL, Fox Ranger apparel, Casco SpeedAiro RS helmet

· By Press Office · 35 comments

First Look Friday is an introduction to the products that we are currently testing for review. This week we’re featuring the Trek Top Fuel SL cross-country race bike, Fox Ranger apparel, the Casco SpeedAiro RS aero road helmet.

Trek Top Fuel SL

ccs-62657-0-14017200-1448628379.jpg

Earlier this year, Trek announced that the Superfly FS was to be replaced by an all-new Top Fuel as their full suspension XC race bike in 2016.

ccs-62657-0-28767200-1448627764.jpg

So what’s new? The Top Fuel’s suspension layout uses an EVO link and full floater design, which attaches the shock to two moving points while the Superfly FS used a swing link and fixed shock mount. The Mino Link feature enables the frame geometry to be tweaked between two settings. Trek also makes use of the wider Boost 148/110 hubs which allow for stiffer wheels and shorter chainstays in the 29er format.

ccs-62657-0-62053300-1448627764.jpg

Our test bike is a custom build which will be available in limited amounts in South Africa. Standard specification models will be available in 2016.

Specifications:

• PaintMatte Trek Black/Trek Charcoal
  • GroupsetShimano XT M8000 1x
  • BrakesetShimano XT M8000
  • ForkFox Float 32 Factory Series
  • ShockFox Float Factory Series
  • TiresBontrager XR1 Team Issue TLR
  • StemRhythm Pro
  • HeadsetFSA IS-2C black
  • HandlebarXXX Carbon
  • Seat PostRhythm Pro
  • SaddleEvoke RL
  • GripsESI Chunky
  • WheelsetDT Swiss M 1900
  • Retail PriceR 89,999.00

Fox Ranger

The Fox brand is one of the most recognised and best-selling brand of motocross and mountain biking apparel in the world. Through sponsoring and working closely with some of the best riders in the history of the sport they have researched and developed clothing that provides riders with maximum protection, performance and freedom of movement.

Their Ranger range fits into the All Mountain and Trail riding category and is a core product in their MTB range.

Ranger SS Jersey

ccs-62657-0-13212900-1448627301.jpg
ccs-62657-0-65652200-1448627301.jpg

Features

• Quick dry polyester main body keeps you cool and dry.
  • Strategic mesh panels for added ventilation.
  • Flatlock seam construction for a smooth comfy fit.
  • Optics wipe at inside hem keeps your eyewear clean.
  • Zipper stash pocket for the essentials.
  • Full drop tail for added trail coverage.

Recommended retail price: R529

Ranger Short

ccs-62657-0-45066500-1448627301.jpg
ccs-62657-0-91251000-1448627301.jpg

Features

• Polyester 2-way mechanical stretch main body
  • Detachable liner with a Pro Form Men’s chamois
  • Interior adjustable waistband
  • Hand pocket

Recommended retail price: R899

Ranger Gloves

ccs-62657-0-83605400-1448627300.jpg

Features

• Lightweight air mesh top hand fabrics.
  • Padded Airprene knuckle.
  • Double layer Clarino palm.
  • Absorbent micro-suede thumb.
  • Silicone grip fingertip.
  • Low profile wrist tab closure.

Recommended retail price: R329

Casco SpeedAiro RS

ccs-62657-0-95769800-1448632382.jpg

The Casco SpeedAiro RS is an aero helmet aimed at the endurance road rider. Unlike many helmets in this class, the SpeedAiro has a number of vents on the top which work to keep the rider cool. The sides of the helmet, however, are closed to derive a smooth path through the air. The SpeedAiro was tested in Audi’s wind tunnel in a number of positions to accommodate efficiency in a number of different riding positions. The most striking feature is the Judge Dredd-like clip-on visor which further improves the SpeedAiro’s aerodynamic properties and is said to assist with a clear path of vision.

ccs-62657-0-50418000-1448632383.jpg
ccs-62657-0-99231700-1448632383.jpg
ccs-62657-0-50626000-1448632384.jpg

Related posts

Comments

raptor-22

Nov 27, 2015, 3:47 PM

R90k for an XT equipped bike.....

Dat be some good ganja youse is smoking there maaaaaan

Odinson

Nov 27, 2015, 3:55 PM

And alu hoops, nogal.

Trek are trying to recover some serious R&D costs.

EmptyB

Nov 27, 2015, 6:26 PM

And alu hoops, nogal. Trek are trying to recover some serious R&D costs.

Suppose they are well known for their serious R & D but f*ck me....R90K!!

Or should R & D read rands and dollars.....

madbradd

Nov 27, 2015, 6:46 PM

Looks like they pulled the design off the Pyga Oneten29 and made a couple small changes and added a whole lot of price tag.

gummibear

Nov 27, 2015, 6:52 PM

Not sure that that price is correct.

I have my eye on a Fuel EX 9.8 and looked at the XT specced Top Fuel 9.8 SL this morning.It's also XT specced and selling for 4300 euro before 10% discount.One in the pic has Fox fork but standard has RS Sid.

Spoke101

Nov 27, 2015, 7:36 PM

And alu hoops, nogal.

Trek are trying to recover some serious R&D costs.

Suppose they are well known for their serious R & D but f*ck me....R90K!!

Or should R & D read rands and dollars.....

Not sure that that price is correct.

I have my eye on a Fuel EX 9.8 and looked at the XT specced Top Fuel 9.8 SL this morning.It's also XT specced and selling for 4300 euro before 10% discount.One in the pic has Fox fork but standard has RS Sid.

That price is what I would have expected.

• First off you got a full carbon full-sus frame. +40k
  • 2016 Fox Factory suspension. ±30k
  • Life time guarantee.
  • $/R being the highest it's been in 15 years = +30% last years prices.
  • XT 8000 + DT Swiss + XXX Carbon bar, etc = Not Cheap ±20k

If you go and build this bike in Trek's Project One System it gives you a price of $6 199.99 = R89345,57

So there can't quite understand all the moaning try find another US bike (let alone one with the pedigree and backup of Trek) that you can buy in SA for ± R750 more than you can in the US.

KingTJ

Nov 27, 2015, 7:41 PM

I wouldnt mind the helmet (always wanted to be judge dredd as a youngster)..but i think you need the skills to justify it to your mates...

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Nov 27, 2015, 7:48 PM

Looks like they pulled the design off the Pyga Oneten29 and made a couple small changes and added a whole lot of price tag.

Trek & PYGA 110 share design cues, yes, except the rear triangle pivots at the axle on the Trek, vs just above & forward on the PYGA. Both floating shock designs though.

I'd rate the trek slightly above the PYGA in terms of suspension action though, purely due to that "split pivot" design, which is patented (and PYGA didn't want to infringe on any patent laws)

KingTJ

Nov 27, 2015, 8:10 PM

That price is what I would have expected.

• First off you got a full carbon full-sus frame. +40k
  • 2016 Fox Factory suspension. ±30k
  • Life time guarantee.
  • $/R being the highest it's been in 15 years = +30% last years prices.
  • XT 8000 + DT Swiss + XXX Carbon bar, etc = Not Cheap ±20k
If you go and build this bike in Trek's Project One System it gives you a price of $6 199.99 = R89345,57

So there can't quite understand all the moaning try find another US bike (let alone one with the pedigree and backup of Trek) that you can buy in SA for ± R750 more than you can in the US.

You are a bit ambitous with the pricing on the shocks...fox 32 you can get for 7k on crc and the rear flaot you can get for 5k...so that is a 15k saving there

The m8000 you can get for around 8k for complete set crc

Carbon bar will cost around 2k... and call the etc etc another 5k so that goes to a total of 15k so another 5k saving there

Wheels you culd probably get for around 8-10k ....so the bike is overproced by around 10-15k if you take the frame from trek superstore for 40k

raptor-22

Nov 27, 2015, 8:32 PM

Overpriced by about R25k.

No just no

For that kind of cash I can get something with real pedigree and snob value.

For R52k anthem advanced includes carbon hoops same suspension and full XT 8000 and it's R38k less.

And the oke that suggests a giant is not in the same class as a trek is sniffing his own year old unwashed socks and undies.

There's taking the piss and then there's American bike pricing

KingTJ

Nov 27, 2015, 8:37 PM

You are a bit ambitous with the pricing on the shocks...fox 32 you can get for 7k on crc and the rear flaot you can get for 5k...so that is a 15k saving there

Carbon bar will cost around 2k... and call the etc etc another 5k so that goes to a total of 15k so another 5k saving there

Wheels you culd probably get for around 8-10k ....so the bike is overproced by around 10-15k if you take the frame from trek superstore for 40k

You could actually just go to cwc and get yourself a tallboy frame for 33K , which in my opinion is a better frame and then have a better bike for 22k less

Nov 27, 2015, 8:37 PM

Negative on the FOX Stuff. For the current Factory stuff you won't get away with less than 14k for the fork alone. 

M8000 was just selling on the fire sale on CWC for 10k, with a normal price of about 15k on CRC with taxes. 7k is for the 2014 XT level stuff. 

So no, it may not be as cheap as you think it is to spec a bike to this level....

EDIT: I'm not saying the price is good, I'm saying that these things add up very quickly.

The Anthem Advanced 1 is a good comparison though. Main difference is the 20k plus differential on the frame price... And I saw it today at CWC - REALLY, REALLY PRETTY!!!!

KingTJ

Nov 27, 2015, 8:38 PM

No just no

For R52k anthem advanced includes carbon hoops same suspension and full XT 8000 and it's R38k less.

And the oke that suggests a giant is not in the same class as a trek is sniffing his own year old unwashed socks and undies.

Yeah i agree, i was just tryimg to take the ,ost expensive components in that category

Nov 27, 2015, 8:42 PM

Anthem-Advanced-275-1-Yellow-Black.jpg

Nov 27, 2015, 8:44 PM

Yeah i agree, i was just tryimg to take the ,ost expensive components in that category

Also - we're looking at retail pricing for the goodies. I can guarantee you now that the cost to the big bike manufacturers are about 1/4 of what we see...

Spoke101

Nov 27, 2015, 9:13 PM

Sorry mate, I recommend you do some research and educate yourself before you comment about things you clearly are not knowledgeable on and please compare apples with apples.

Firstly what you are looking at on CRC is a 2013 Fox Evolution Series Fork which is a piece of Cr@p not a 2016 Factory Series and the same goes for the Shock (so add 3 years a Fork that is worlds better and the R/$ going from 9-1 to 14-1).

Secondly Please tell me how you get to 8k for the groupset?

The driveline will according to CRC set you back ±R5900 now add Brakes, Rotors and adapters and that's R2100 a side. 

So you get R10100.00

Now add Seatpost 1.5k, Stem 1.4k, Race Saddle 2.5k, Grips R280, Tyres 1.9k, Tubes R100, Wheels, Carbon XXX bar at R2600 direct $ exchange. = R10280.00 so you were 3k out on just etc. Plus Wheels ±7k

This takes it to 17k without Headset 1k, Cables R200, Bottom Bracket R500.

So call the total 19k.

Again you do not know what you are talking about don't just some thumb suck a figure of "around 2k".

Odinson

Nov 27, 2015, 9:41 PM

Sorry mate, I recommend you do some research and educate yourself before you comment about things you clearly are not knowledgeable on and please compare apples with apples.

Firstly what you are looking at on CRC is a 2013 Fox Evolution Series Fork which is a piece of Cr@p not a 2016 Factory Series and the same goes for the Shock (so add 3 years a Fork that is worlds better and the R/$ going from 9-1 to 14-1).

The driveline will according to CRC set you back ±R5900 now add Brakes, Rotors and adapters and that's R2100 a side. 

So you get R10100.00

Now add Seatpost 1.5k, Stem 1.4k, Race Saddle 2.5k, Grips R280, Tyres 1.9k, Tubes R100, Wheels, Carbon XXX bar at R2600 direct $ exchange. = R10280.00 so you were 3k out on just etc. Plus Wheels ±7k

So call the total 19k.

Again you do not know what you are talking about don't just some thumb suck a figure of "around 2k".

Sorry, Spoke, but you're wrong on this one.

Trying to "build up" the bike based on retail prices Joe Soap pays is incorrect. Trek has massive buying power and pay significantly less for every components slapped on that bike. Do you think BMW, Audi, etc, etc. pay retail prices for the tyres they spec on new vehicles? 

My opinion: the bike is priced according to the space of the market it occupies, the recouping of R&D on a new model, and so on and so on.

Spoke101

Nov 27, 2015, 9:54 PM

Sorry, Spoke, but you're wrong on this one.

Trying to "build up" the bike based on retail prices Joe Soap pays is incorrect. Trek has massive buying power and pay significantly less for every components slapped on that bike. Do you think BMW, Audi, etc, etc. pay retail prices for the tyres they spec on new vehicles? 

My opinion: the bike is priced according to the space of the market it occupies, the recouping of R&D on a new model, and so on and so on.

I totally agree and know how it all works. That's why the bike retails in SA for pretty much the same as the US. The difference between what Joe soap buy's it for and what Trek do in this case is Treks profit.

Spoke101

Nov 27, 2015, 10:16 PM

No just no

I'll agree that Giant is an incredible value for money bike. 

There are a few differences when you get down to the nitty gritty.

Full Carbon frame vs Carbon/Alu frame and Carbon wheels, Now you get grades of Carbon and I'd like to see the differences. I know Trek use some sort of special impact resistant carbon/resin layup.

On the other hand no one can compete with Giant the worlds largest bike manufacture who at various points in time have made bikes/parts for Scott, Trek, Colnago, Specialized, Lapierre, Schwinn, Fuji and Bianchi.

Giant also owned 30% of a key supplier for many other brands.

KingTJ

Nov 28, 2015, 4:33 AM

Myles you are right...

Nb. Lesson to self, dont post stuff late on a friday night.

I still believe it is overpriced

KingTJ

Nov 28, 2015, 4:49 AM

So you get R10100.00

So call the total 19k.

Yeah sorry only saw 2013 now...but it was late at night so i must have missed a few things....all i am saying that for that price i can build a much beter bike.. my humble apologies...

Matt

Nov 28, 2015, 5:18 AM

Hey guys, we also thought the price tag on the Trek was a little on the steep side, but one thing to keep in mind is that this is essentially a Project One (custom spec) bike which does inflate the price a bit vs. off the shelf spec. The guys at Trek SA put it together so they could bring a few to test out while they wait for the standard spec to become available. We'll get details on that pricing asap for a fairer comparison to other similarly specced off-the-shelf 2016 bikes.

raptor-22

Nov 28, 2015, 6:09 AM

die koel is deur die kerk

Nov 28, 2015, 6:52 AM

Sweet. Thanks for that clarification, Matt.

Still would love to give it a go. Last trek I rode was the old fuel ex sixer in 120mm guise

Add a comment

You must log in to comment