Tech

On test: Garmin Fenix 3

· By Matt · 14 comments

We were lucky enough to receive the much hyped Garmin fenix 3 for review recently. The fenix 3 is Garmins’s do-all sports watch touted as an “Uncompromising Multisport Training GPS Watch”. It includes the Altimeter, Barometer and Compass functions one would expect in such a device along with GPS / GLONASS and GPS navigation, WiFi, Bluetooth, ANT+ and the list goes on.

Among the array of features for runners, adventurers and multisports athletes it of course caters for us bike riders too. It is compatible with Garmin speed and cadence sensors as well as their Vector pedal-based power meters and VIRB action camera.

Just like it’s predecessors, the fenix 3 sports a stylish design with more of a real watch feel than most historically bulky and awkward wrist based GPS units. Under the hood Garmin have packed in some serious functions and have taken a few steps into the smartwatch territory with their custom apps and notifications.

Based on the chatter among Hubbers about this product pre and post launch we’re very excited to test it out. Over the next month we’ll be putting it through it’s paces both on and off the bike.

Stay tuned for the full review in late July.

Garmin_fenix_lineup_2.jpg

From left to right: fenix 3 Gray, fenix 3 Sapphire, fenix 3 Silver (our test unit)

Garmin_fenix_3_lifestyle.jpg
Garmin_fenix_3_Sapphire_Fashion.jpg

From Garmin

In fēnix® 3, uncompromising performance meets uncompromising design. No longer do demanding athletes have to wear one specialty watch for training and competition, and then a different, more stylish watch for work and casual everyday wear. With the introduction of fēnix® 3, Garmin has achieved the ultimate fusing of state-of-the art fitness training features with state-of-the-art in satellite navigation. Between adventures, fēnix 3 helps you recover in style and precision with its rugged, attractive construction and customizable smart watch capabilities. Now that we’ve taken on the limits to what a GPS sport watch can do, it’s your turn to rise above your limits.

Highlevel Specs

• Stainless Steel EXO™ antenna with GPS + GLONASS support for fast fix and accuracy
  • 1.2-inch sunlight readable color Chroma™ display
  • Fitness training features like VO2 Max and Recovery Advisor (when used with a heart rate monitor¹)
  • Outdoor navigation features like 3-axis compass, altimeter and barometer, TracBack and Sight’n Go
  • Connect IQ™ compatibility for customized apps, widgets, watch faces and data fields

Pricing:

• fenix 3 Silver / Gray – Watch only: R 7,599.00
  • fenix 3 Silver / Gray – Performer Bundle: R 8,449.00
  • fenix 3 Sapphire: R 9,999.00

Find out more here: fenix3.garmin.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TkdNtrzf3o

Related posts

Comments

KevinHow

Jun 24, 2015, 1:30 PM

Pricing - Give us a break!

EVOBIKES ONLINE STORE

Jun 24, 2015, 3:12 PM

Pricing - Give us a break!

Depends where you buy...

Odinson

Jun 24, 2015, 3:13 PM

My nutsack just shrivelled up reading the pricing. 

KevinHow

Jun 24, 2015, 4:30 PM

Depends where you buy...

As I already said - Pricing give us a break!

IronTree

Jun 24, 2015, 5:41 PM

Evo and EasyBike have much better Pricing.

R7200 for Gray/red Performance Bundle.

Great Watch, but don't expect much from the BlueTooth integration to phone...

Wayne Potgieter

Jun 25, 2015, 5:48 AM

Been using mine for a few days now.

Zero issues with bluetooth integration.

StevieL

Jun 25, 2015, 5:55 AM

Been using mine for a few days now.

Zero issues with bluetooth integration.

+1

Zero issues all round really.

Very happy with it.

Spinnekop

Jun 25, 2015, 6:23 AM

Up and running for a month or so now.

Love mine! 

Devm10

Jun 25, 2015, 7:50 AM

Battery Life on this unit?

Stuartc

Jun 25, 2015, 4:45 PM

+1 on the Bluetooth - no issues whatsoever.

Been pleasantly surprised with the battery as well. So far a single charge has lasted about 10days (although been travelling so haven't had the GPS on much).

So far been really impressed with it!

Roadtrip

Jun 25, 2015, 8:12 PM

Very nice look.

McD23

Jun 26, 2015, 4:46 AM

Had mine since early April.

Zero issues.

Battery last weeks with no activity, and longest I done is about 4h30 on it and still had 60% left.

Runbikeswim

Jun 26, 2015, 7:33 AM

Had the fenix3 for a while and its cool, but IMO not worth the 7500 or 8500 price tag.  I was very disappointed in the Garmin Q apps, but hopefully they will improve. I ended up selling the F3 and went back to a fenix 2.

Only issues I had with the F3 was battery life was probably half that of hat I got from the F2 ( maybe due to Bluetooth connection with my phn as on the F2 I don't use the Bluetooth )and at random intervals the F3 would get very hot, actually felt the heat on my writs…. worried me a bit.

Also read there are GPS accuracy issues, but I don’t need that accurate GPS as im not a mountaineer, for them a gps that is 10 meters out is a massive issue, for me as a runner / mtber not so much.

WrightJnr

Jun 26, 2015, 11:31 AM

GPS issues resolved in the new firmware released earlier this week.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment