Tech

On Test: Lauf TR29 fork

· By Nick · 57 comments

The Lauf fork has generated a fair bit of chatter on The Hub. We thought we’d throw ourselves into the conversation and give the Lauf TR29 a ride.

Lauf fork colours.jpeg

The Lauf fork looks strange but that’s because it is strange. It boasts 60mm of travel by using the flex of glassfibre springs. Essentially a modern twist on the leaf spring suspension design (Lauf meaning leaf in Icelandic).

Lauf TR29 6.jpg
Lauf TR29 2.jpg

So why a Lauf fork?

Weighing in at 990g with a 175mm steerer and axle in place, making it at least half a kilogram lighter than most conventional XC forks.

Considering the low weight and limited travel of the Lauf, it fits comfortably between a conventional lightweight cross-country fork and a carbon rigid fork.

Lauf TR29 1.jpg

Another significant advantage is that the Lauf fork has no moving parts, meaning that maintenance is zero. Lauf claim their test forks have under gone 170 thousand hits without showing any sign of fatigue. No need to track your hours before that next costly service and no stanchions to wipe each ride.

Because the springs are pre-set, Lauf offer two models designed for riders of different weights. The regular fork (the fork we will be riding) caters for riders over 65kg (topping out at 110kg) while the light fork suits riders under 70kg.

Lauf TR29 5.jpg

Lauf vs The World

The modern air sprung XC fork is a masterpiece with many useful (some would say indispensable) features. Lauf itself is a unique design in cycling, using modern composite materials, it reinvents the old. Lauf claim the springs provide progressive travel, meaning small bump sensitivity while handling bigger hits. But does it perform well enough to earn its place in modern day mountain biking? We’ll let you know in our full review coming soon.

Lauf TR29 3.jpg

Bottoming out is dealt with by these rubber stopper.

Lauf TR29 4.jpg

We’re not big on unboxings but the box the Lauf arrived in did catch our attention.

Lastly, a valuable point often ignored in reviews is a component’s ability to suspend your car in mid-air. Evidently, the Lauf does this well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fRd3qzhcJI

Technical details

• Wheels29” or 27.5”
  • Travel60mm / 2.35” travel
  • Weightsub 990g / 2.18lbs (175mm steerer with Lauf axle)
  • Unsprung weight260g unsprung weight
  • Spring rateRegular (over 65kg riders) and Light (under 70kg riders)
  • Axle15mm Lauf thru axle
  • Rake48mm (29″) / 45mm (27.5″)
  • Axle to crown485mm (29″) / 466mm (27.5″)
  • SteererTapered 1 1/8” – 1 1/2” (uncut length 250mm)
  • Min rotor size180mm
  • Max tire width2.35”
  • Rider weight limit110kg / 243lbs
  • ColoursCarbon red, carbon orange, carbon green, carbon blue, carbon white, full white, full red, naked glossy, naked matte.

From the manufacturer:

With 60mm / 2.35” of travel with progressive spring rate and its sub 990g / 2.18lbs weight, the patent pending Lauf Trail Racer is a unique match with today’s lightweight XC mountain bike frames.

S2 Springs

The springs on the Lauf Trail Racer are made of military spec S2 glassfiber that is extremely tough on hits and flexible in the direction of the travel. The springs have been “shocked” in our test lab over 400.000 times reaching 40mm amplitude every time.

Progressive

The Lauf Trail Racer has 60mm of travel with progressive spring rate. This means that the further the fork compresses the springs become stiffer. This helps keeping the fork from bottoming out while staying sensitive to small bumps.

Zero Maintenance

The design of the Lauf Trail Racer is based around eliminating all “moving parts”, and therefore, friction and maintenance. The monocoque carbon fiber structure delivers incredible strength, and the test-fork we have in our lab has already been “shocked” over 170 thousand times, without showing any signs of wear and tear. That equals more mountain-biking than you’ll manage to cram into at least 5 years of action!

Warranty

The Lauf Fork is warranted for five years from sale date to the original owner of the fork. If your fork is older than five years and something happens, please contact us anyways because we still care about you.

Tags: , ,

Comments

Odinson

Apr 17, 2015, 5:15 AM

There is no commentary on the ride in the article. 

Matt

Apr 17, 2015, 5:25 AM

There is no commentary on the ride in the article. 

We were pretty excited to receive the Lauf so this is a preview (a teaser if you like) to the full review. Any content with the "ON TEST" prefix will be a preview of what's to come and importantly it offers a space to get feedback from the community on what they'd like to know about the product while we're testing.

In the full review we'll feature a commentary on the ride in different conditions and from different rider perspectives.

Guest Karma

Apr 17, 2015, 5:33 AM

Lifting a Landy with it is not a true test of its strength, giving it to jcmeyerss for a week is.

NicoBoshoff

Apr 17, 2015, 5:36 AM

So will this be tested past it's apparent dirt roadie target i.e. on trails people usually ride, with the odd big hit thrown in?

amasendeinja

Apr 17, 2015, 5:48 AM

Lauf also means walk in German, make of that translation what you will ????

RocknRolla

Apr 17, 2015, 6:31 AM

I laufed when I saw the Thread title...reminded me of the other Lauf Thread,,,

Nick

Apr 17, 2015, 6:39 AM

So will this be tested past it's apparent dirt roadie target i.e. on trails people usually ride, with the odd big hit thrown in?

Trails are scarce for us Southern Suburbers at the moment and our time with the Lauf is short. But yes, I am hoping to get it out to Hoogekraal or Welvanpas this weekend. I've ridden it the last two days on Table Mountain so the dirt roadie testing it done.

tunariaan

Apr 17, 2015, 8:33 AM

no man ride it properly

Tankwa , Pioneer, Epic, Attekwas 

IH8MUD

Apr 17, 2015, 8:41 AM

Quanto Costa?

Jaco-fiets

Apr 17, 2015, 8:41 AM

What price range are they aiming at?

Donovan Le Cok

Apr 17, 2015, 9:00 AM

Give it a good workout at the Chris Nixon pump track.

xcd

Apr 17, 2015, 9:06 AM

What stops you from bouncing ?

As you cannot set the rebound.

Mongoose!

Apr 17, 2015, 9:11 AM

No Lock out?

Meerkat82

Apr 17, 2015, 9:29 AM

LAUF... round 2... I am eagerly awaiting feedback.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Apr 17, 2015, 10:13 AM

no man ride it properly

Tankwa , Pioneer, Epic, Attekwas

"Our time with the Lauf is short"...

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Apr 17, 2015, 10:13 AM

No Lock out?

No laufing matter...

Ko-liz

Apr 17, 2015, 11:24 AM

Hi guys...

I have been riding this fork for over a year now on our trails.

Fitted to a Cannondale Flash Alloy 29er.

Welvanpas, Jonkershoek, Meerendal, etc... No problem.

I am not that fast a descender, but I am no slouch either.

This fork is more than capable, and un-adjustable rebound not an issue. I just learned to choose my lines better.

Climbing and out of the saddle performance is also great.

Meerkat82

Apr 17, 2015, 11:26 AM

I am getting my popcorn

Guest Karma

Apr 17, 2015, 11:29 AM

Hi guys...

I have been riding this fork for over a year now on our trails.

Fitted to a Cannondale Flash Alloy 29er.

Welvanpas, Jonkershoek, Meerendal, etc... No problem.

I am not that fast a descender, but I am no slouch either.

This fork is more than capable, and un-adjustable rebound not an issue. I just learned to choose my lines better.

Climbing and out of the saddle performance is also great.

another 1st time poster...

Meerkat82

Apr 17, 2015, 11:34 AM

another 1st time poster...

my thoughts exactly

Monark

Apr 17, 2015, 11:58 AM

a lauf on a cx bike?

Hairy

Apr 17, 2015, 5:28 PM

Ko Liz....pics of your bike with the fork fitted or it did not happen.

This reminds me of a thread from a few weeks ago.

gummibear

Apr 17, 2015, 6:16 PM

Lauf also means walk in German, make of that translation what you will

Lauf means run in German :oops:  

Walk is gehen :ph34r:

Eagle_i

Apr 17, 2015, 7:06 PM

What's the timeframe to market and availability going to be in SA?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment