Tech

On Test: Wahoo Kickr

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 3 comments

The Wahoo Kickr is a wireless ANT+/Bluetooth 4.0 power trainer with a built-in power meter that allows you to accurately measure and control your efforts. You can connect the trainer to a variety of apps, including Wahoo’s own, or programs that control the resistance in real-time to follow along with a specific workout or a video course.

ccs-62657-0-77411300-1433227612.jpg

Wahoo claims it takes 120 seconds from unboxing until the first pedal stroke and, although I did not time the process, it certainly was easy and fairly straight forward. Weighing in at over 20kg it is a solid unit that won’t get knocked around with ease.

ccs-62657-0-66388200-1433227627.jpg
ccs-62657-0-50084100-1433227634.jpg

The Kickr has four settings:

Level: Choose your power curve. Just like riding on a fluid or wind trainer, the faster you go, the harder it gets. The level you select determines the progression of your power curve.

Resistance: Just like adjusting the brake in spin class. For those who need to be in complete control, this allows you to set the resistance of the brake anywhere from 0 to 100%. Regardless of speed, the brake will remain set until you decide to change it.

Erg: Is Wahoo’s personal favourite, claiming intervals have never been easier (or harder). Set your desired power and watch as the Kickr adjusts to keep you honest during your training. If your cadence drops, the Kickr will increase the resistance to maintain a constant power output, regardless of speed.

Sim: With sim mode, you can enter your weight, bike type, riding position, headwind, and grade and the Kickr will accurately model the power curve just as if you were riding outdoors. Make sure your weight is properly set in the app and your tires size is correct to ensure accurate power calculations.

Features

• Accurate power measurement – Wheel off design for direct, lab accurate power measurement at the hub- consistent and calibrated throughout every gruelling kilometre
  • Controlled resistance – Connected to your device, the Kickr sets your resistance via your favourite app or software
  • Ultra-realistic road feel – Super flywheel engineered to replicate the inertia of an actual rider on the road
  • Wireless control and data transfer – Bluetooth 4.0 (aka Bluetooth Smart) and ANT+ enabled
  • Quiet As Can Be – Quiet as your favourite fluid trainer; no shouting required
  • Virtual training – Works with popular training software such as Kinomap and TrainerRoad
  • Compatible with iPhone 5 and newer, iPad (3rd generation and newer), and iPad Mini and compatible android devices
ccs-62657-0-92967700-1433227620.jpg
ccs-62657-0-42384500-1433227644.jpg

I will be strapping myself to one over Cape Town’s rainy months in an effort to bring you a comprehensive review on the unit as well as the apps and accessories.

The Wahoo KICKR retails for R15,999 and is available online at Wahoo Fitness and through your local bike shop.

RFLKT Computer and Wahoo TICKR X heart rate strap

Along with the trainer I’ve also been sent a Wahoo RFLKT Computer and Wahoo TICKR X heart rate strap to test.

The RFLKT works by taking data collected from your phone’s GPS bike app (such as Wahoo’s own or Cyclemeter) and displays it on a small handlebar-mounted ‘computer’ (RFLKT) so you can keep your phone safely in a back pocket, hydration pack or saddle bag. The multiple display options and button actions for each sequentially toggled screen can be set up through your phone and even provides the ability to control music if you’re using headphones.

The ​Wahoo Tickr X is no ordinary heart rate strap and comes with some unique features

• Memory storage for up to 16 hours of workouts – so no phone or watch required while running to record distance/pace/HR and other running smoothness metrics
  • Indoor cycling cadence (when on a trainer/spin bike)
  • Ability to double-tap HR strap to create laps, or also control music
  • Vibration alert/confirmation when you connect the unit and create a lap

The ability to record that data while only having to wear a heart rate strap is probably it’s biggest selling point. No phone or watch needed – just the strap, you and the open road. This does mean you won’t be able to see any heart rate data until after the run or ride if you wear only the strap, but for most that won’t be a big issue. I for one am not bothered with those figures while on most rides.

From the Manufacturer:

ccs-62657-0-83244900-1433257099.jpg

More details here: http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/kickr.html

Related posts

Comments

Mongoose!

Jun 3, 2015, 4:46 AM

These are awesome trainers. May be expensive but worth the money.

I have a Cycleops Power Beam that does more or less the same.

If you planning to get one, come join our on-line racing here on the Hub

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/140625-online-racing-virtualtraining-cyclops/page-168

pman001

Jun 3, 2015, 12:20 PM

I have had a Kickr for 1.5 years now and has been the next level trainer out there for sometime. I have had no problems with the trainer itself, the open API's have opened a world of training options from using it with structured training programs like Todays Plan www.todaysplan.co.za or Trainer Road set in ERG mode set to your FTP, or for some fun Kinomap video's- takes out all the monotony of sitting inside bored. The question almost lies using this trainer, is it more beneficial to do your structured training days (Vo2/Mixup's/FTP test,etc) indoor than out on undulating roads?    

Garfield2010

Jun 3, 2015, 12:34 PM

Go read the review of DCRAINMAKER on this product.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment