Tech

Review: CatEye Strada Smart

Words by Nick Webb.

· By Bike Hub Features · 10 comments

In a world where we are bombarded with information from our bike computers (never mind the post ride analysis tools), the CatEye Strada Smart looks to cut out the clutter and deliver only the essentials in a sleek package. While the Strada Smart can connect to via Bluetooth to sensors, it makes the most sense for those looking to get their ride data from their phones onto the handlebars.

ccs-62657-0-12982900-1486457993.jpg

The device

Unboxing the Strada Smart, I was surprised at the small size of the unit, having grown used to the relative bulk of GPS computers. The Strada Smart carries the classic CatEye look and feel, which had me reminiscing about my first bike computers. Unlike those earlier devices though, the Strada Smart can do some clever things.

The small size (47 x 32 X 13.2mm) means that the device only weighs 17 grams and with the mounting attached the total weight comes to 25 grams. The Strada Smart is powered by a replaceable CR2032 battery and is supposedly good for around 5 months of average use.

The mount (which is included in the box) matches the minimalist approach of the Strada Smart. On the road bike, I had the Strada Smart mounted on the stem, where it seamlessly formed a natural part of the bike, causing no distractions. The mount proved to be sturdy holding firmly in place even when out on the mountain bike, which included a few knocks and tumbles.

ccs-62657-0-50822200-1486457989.jpg
ccs-62657-0-84851400-1486457990.jpg
ccs-62657-0-38588900-1486457990.jpg

The CatEye Strada Smart mount was simple to use and proved to be a sturdy perch.

Specifications:

Battery: CR2032
Battery life: Approx 5 months
Dimensions: 47.0 X32.0 X13.2mm
Weight: 17 grams
Weight including mounting strap: 25 grams
Wireless transmission: Bluetooth Smart

A tale of two modes

The Strada Smart talks to your phone or/and sensors using Bluetooth and works in two ways: Mirror mode or Sensor Direct mode.

In Mirror mode, your phone acts as the central point with data from your sensors being relayed to Strada Smart head unit through the CatEye Cycling app on the phone. If you do not have any sensors, only the information gained from the smartphone GPS is used.

Sensor Direct mode is a more minimalist approach which excludes your smartphone. In this mode, the Bluetooth sensors deliver data directly to the Strada Smart head unit. I can see this mode being particularly useful in racing, where you don’t necessarily want your phone with you but still want to keep track of your performance indicators. The Strada Smart can display an array of data from your sensors including cadence, heart rate, speed, and even power data.

ccs-62657-0-28631500-1486457991.jpg

Of course, the major downside of the Strada Smart is that it only communicates via Bluetooth. This means that if you have already invested in ANT+ sensors, you are in for further expenses purchasing Bluetooth sensors to work with the Strada Smart.

For these reasons, the Strada Smart makes the most sense for riders already using a phone to record their activities but want this data to displayed up front without having to mount the phone on the handlebars.

Having the phone on the bars puts it in danger of crash and water damage as well as battery drain with the screen having to be active. On a three hour ride, with the screen off in my pocket, the battery usage was not significant on my OnePlus One smartphone (which admittedly is frugal on battery usage) and I could have easily gone all day if required.

Unfortunately, we were not provided with a Bluetooth sensor bundle, so we tested the device exclusively in Mirror mode.

On the bike

When the CatEye Strada Smart landed on my desk, I had no idea how the device worked. The instructions in the box weren’t all that clear and related mostly to connecting Bluetooth sensors to the Smart Strada. Instead, I headed to the CatEye website for a better idea of what I was trying to achieve. From here, the instructions to download the CatEye Cycling app and sync your phone with the Strada Smart were thankfully straightforward.

Once the initial pairing has been setup, you simply open the CatEye Cycling app, turn on the Strada Smart – wait a few seconds for the two to pair – and then hit the record button on your phone before slipping it into your back pocket and heading off to ride.

ccs-62657-0-19503200-1486457992.jpgrEADY means that the Strada Smart and your phone have sucessfully paired.
ccs-62657-0-74995000-1486457991.jpgThe Strada Smart is operated using a single button.

Operating the CatEye while riding couldn’t be easier as there is only one button to push. With the sensors connected, you can view up to three data values, including your current speed which is always displayed. You cannot customise your views but rather cycle through the options using the single button. This can be frustrating as you might have to move through up to seven screens to get to the data you want. The Strada Smart will also notify you when calls or messages come through on your phone, whether or not you want such distractions is, of course, a personal preference.

The 1.5 inch monochrome screen is easily viewable in all conditions. While the data is small on the device, I found it clear and easily readable, but I do foresee that those with poor eyesight might struggle with the smaller icons and numbers on display.

The CatEye Cycling app is easy to use and comprehensively records your data including a record of your previous rides. While the after ride experience lacks the polish of Strava, the in-app recording of the rides is a comparable experience. But don’t worry, you can easily upload your data directly from the CatEye Cycling app to cloud services like Strava or TrainingPeaks for further analysis after each ride.

ccs-62657-0-97410600-1486457983.png
ccs-62657-0-06525400-1486457985.png
ccs-62657-0-07694100-1486457986.png
ccs-62657-0-97817000-1486457986.png

Screenshots from the CatEye Cycling app showing data from a previous ride. The last image shows the pre-ride screen.
Most of my rides with the Strada Smart were accompanied with my Garmin 520 and there was little discrepancy between the two in terms of distance measurement. The Strada Smart also displays altitude but as the device does not include an altimeter, it uses the phone for that reading, the accuracy of which should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Pricing

The CatEye Strada Smart is delicately priced at R1,500 sitting between a dumb bicycle computer and a dedicated GPS bike computer. Having to buy Bluetooth sensors will bring the price up considerably and you might be better off looking for a GPS unit with a bundled sensor pack. But if you simply want to get your phone’s data from your pocket to the handlebars, the Strada Smart’s pricing sits in a sweet spot.

ccs-62657-0-60214100-1486457993.jpg

Conclusion

The CatEye Strada Smart provides a simple solution for getting your data out of your back pocket and onto the front of your bike. Cheaper than a GPS computer and more comprehensive than an ordinary bicycle computer, the Strada Smart might be just the tool for those wanting to view their phone data while they ride.

Pros

• The small size
  • Ease of use
  • Convenience of pairing with your phone
  • Cheaper than a GPS bike computer

Cons

• Bluetooth communication only – sensors not bundled
  • It might still be tempting to spend a little bit more for a dedicated GPS unit
  • Phone and battery life is required for use in Mirror mode

Comments

dirtrider

Feb 7, 2017, 10:53 AM

Pity about the ALT meter . 

GhostSixFour

Feb 7, 2017, 11:35 AM

What happens if you have a ANT+ capable phone? Can you pair that to the sensors and then the info displays on the device via BT?

Iceman_mp

Feb 7, 2017, 11:41 AM

Without a phone and/ sensors it's a dud.

ByronH

Feb 7, 2017, 1:16 PM

Are one of the screens map mode? I.e. viewing a route in guidance mode?

Nick

Feb 7, 2017, 1:54 PM

Are one of the screens map mode? I.e. viewing a route in guidance mode?

Unfortunately not. It's just the route I had ridden for that ride.

marko35s

Feb 7, 2017, 9:17 PM

Unfortunately not. It's just the route I had ridden for that ride.

By the looks of the map you stopped your ride halfway down?

Did something malfunction or am I reading it wrong?

Duane_Bosch

Feb 8, 2017, 6:11 AM

Can get a Lezyne Mini or Bryton 330 GPS for under R2500. You can even get a Bryton 100 for under 2k if you are prepared to live without a warranty and bring it in directly. The screens on my Bryton are customizable so you can "cut the clutter" or not depending on preference.

And if you want your phone GPS data on your bars get a bar mount for your phone. Freely available in most self respecting bikeshops for most popular phone brands.

I honestly don't understand why this device even exists.

ByronH

Feb 8, 2017, 6:20 AM

Can get a Lezyne Mini or Bryton 330 GPS for under R2500. You can even get a Bryton 100 for under 2k if you are prepared to live without a warranty and bring it in directly. The screens on my Bryton are customizable so you can "cut the clutter" or not depending on preference.

And if you want your phone GPS data on your bars get a bar mount for your phone. Freely available in most self respecting bikeshops for most popular phone brands.

I honestly don't understand why this device even exists.

I like CatEye equipment.. but I'm also battling with this one? Especially at R1500! If this was the 'evolution' of a basic cycle computer, then fine, but not at R1500... but maybe I'm being a cheapskate.

Also, I dont think having a flashing light indicating that you getting a phone call or message is particularly 'revolutionary'... personally, I prefer to not know whats happening on my friggin' invasive phone when I'm out on the trails... if im expecting an urgent call, then I just put my ringer on loud. And, with notifications on our modern smart phones nowadays... I'm pretty sure the Cateye would be constantly flashing...

Nick

Feb 8, 2017, 6:22 AM

By the looks of the map you stopped your ride halfway down?

Did something malfunction or am I reading it wrong?

I have a habit of quitting all the open apps once I've checked all my notifications. In this case, I accidentally quit the CatEye Cycling app. It should probably have some sort of kiddy lock or auto-resume to prevent you from doing so.

rafta

Sep 20, 2017, 1:10 PM

Does this require Cateye sensors only or will any model, as long as it's BLE, work?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment