Tech

Review: cSixx Super Single chain guide and Thick Thin chainring

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 0 comments

The clever guys at cSixx have recognised a need in the marketplace for a lightweight, well priced and easy to fit chain guide, aimed at the single chain ring market. For those already running Narrow Wide, think of it as a little added security for your 1x setup, and if you are a trail / #enduro rider this should really be a standard upgrade on your bike! I would even encourage the XCO racers to also consider the guide, as a dropped chain on a lap race could mean the difference between a win or a lose, even if you’re just competing to beat your riding buddies.

ccs-62657-0-28087300-1449644835.jpg

cSixx Super Single ISGC 05 product details:

• Guide for single chainring drivetrains
  • Compatible with a wide range of chainrings, fits all sizes from 28t to 40t.
  • Alloy parts are machined from aircraft grade Aluminium.
  • Carbon parts (on premium models) are hand crafted in South Africa
  • The guide cage is moulded from Nylon 6 which is highly chemical resistant, meaning your chain lube will not damage the guide.
  • Replaceable rubber dampers keep noise at a minimum and handy chain level indicator makes fitment a breeze.
  • 3SERIES: Anodised 7075 Aluminium backplate and a Nylon Top guide (70.2 grams)

To go with the Super Single guide, cSixx offer a narrow wide (or Thick Thin as cSixx refer to it) chainring which caters for most of the ever-growing number of BCD and direct mount options.

Thick Thin Chainring specifications:

• Material: 7075-T6 aluminium
  • Hard Anodized
  • Compatible for 10 and 11 speed.
  • Available in 30T, 32T, 34T and 36T

The test setups

The test started out as a chain guide only trial, with a drivetrain arrangement that sought to give the chain guide no support and challenge it to the maximum…. give it hell I thought to myself.

Setup 1: cSixx Super Single chain guide with a well used single ring (without any Narrow Wide features) and a non-clutch rear derailleur.

I ran this setup for sometime on my all mountain bike with great success, much to my surprise, as I was expecting the guide to lose the chain on a regular basis. The only time it did skip a beat was on longer, high speed descents with high frequency impacts where the chain would jump around out back like a sugar high kid at a birthday party.

ccs-62657-0-59804600-1449644824.jpg

Setup 2: Later on, the single ring was replaced with a cSixx Thick Thin chainring, including lovely green anodized chainring bolts to match those on the guide. Who can say no to a little well placed bling on their bikes?

ccs-62657-0-06571600-1449647123.jpg

This setup has been a revelation for me. Previously, when the rear wheel slammed into the ground the chain would go wild, the cranks would back pedal and the chain would always come off. With the cSixx Thick Thin chainring fitted, the chain would still do its crazy chicken dance and the cranks would back pedal, but the chain would stay put on the narrow wide teeth. I am astonished at how effective this chainring is at keeping the chain secured.

On the trails the guide and Narrow Wide chainring setup (with a non-clutch derailleur) has not let me down once. I have ridden some rugged trails, at speeds where I have hit PRs and on fast bumpy sections where the chain would previously have come off. Being able to count on the chain retention, I’ve developed more trust in my drivetrain so that should I back pedal or want to accelerate out of a corner I can do so with gusto.

Overall impressions: Guide

Both the cSixx Super Single guide and Thick Thin chainring are very well made and come with high quality stainless steel washers and anodized bolts. No cheap steel or soft aluminium cost cutting here.

ccs-62657-0-37690000-1449644775.jpg

The guide has been silent to use, incredibly easy to install and most important of all, the guide has been exceptionally reliable.

Fitting the guide is a simple procedure with the ISCG mount using a two bolt fixing system with the back plates having the lower section cut-out. Slide the guide over the crank, rotate to the correct angle and tighten the bolts. Adjust the guide up or down using the imprint of a chain on the inner face of the guide and you have perfect chain / guide alignment in no time.

ccs-62657-0-58477200-1449644790.jpg
ccs-62657-0-16168100-1449644805.jpg
ccs-62657-0-32717100-1449644814.jpg

Compared to other guides that I have previously used, I would say that the Super Single has been the easiest to fit and align.

Overall impressions: Thick Thin chainring

ccs-62657-0-38123500-1449650715.jpg
The Thick Thin chainring is very well finished, with a nice deep black anodizing that looks like it will wear well and graphics that are crisp and clean. The cSixx guys paid lots of attention to manufacturing quality during the development of this chainring, they went through a series of factories until they found a manufacturing plant that would be able to produce the quality of workmanship they are looking for. cSixx then took this one step further by sourcing a high grade aluminium from Europe to supply their manufacturers with in order to ensure that the final product meets their standards. This little snippet of information means a lot to me as a user.

In conclusion

The cSixx Super Single chain guide and Thick Thin chainring are very well made, lightweight and robust components that will offer added chain security that you can rely on and at a very competitive price point.

An ideal 1x setup for me personally would be the combination of the cSixx Super Single guide and Thick Thin chainring with a clutch rear derailleur. As it stands now, however, my non-clutch setup with the cSixx guide and chainring has been faultless to the point that I do not feel the need to upgrade to a clutch derailleur at all.

Pricing and availability:

cSixx Super Single ISGC 05 guide at R870.00 here.
ccs-62657-0-57976300-1449655785.jpg

cSixx Thick Thin 34t 104 BCD Chainring at R685.00 here.
ccs-62657-0-36485000-1449650802.jpg

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment