Tech

Review: Darkhorse DH29 Carbon Mountain Bike Wheels

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 41 comments

If you’re anything like me the idea of riding carbon mountain bike wheels is an unsettled one. Carbon is, well, carbon. It just seems cooler, faster and better. It’s alluring. On the other hand the I worry that it won’t be as sturdy or reliable. Not to mention the cost of a decent set of carbon wheels is usually pretty prohibitive to begin with.

Darkhorse Wheels have been supplying a range of good quality, well priced carbon wheels to the road cycling market for a few years now. When the opportunity arose to test out their newer DH29 carbon mountain bike wheels I was dead keen to see what all the fuss was about.

Dark Horse Wheels DH29-5.jpg

Specifications

• RimHigh modulus full carbon hookless rim, tubeless profile.
  • Dimension24mm deep x 27mm wide (Internal width: 22mm)
  • SpokesSapim CX Ray 32 front 32 Rear
  • NippleSapim SILS Secure lock nipple
  • HubsFront – Bitex MTF15 QR/15/20mm axle
    Rear – Bitex RAR12 135xQR / 142×12
  • Weight1460 grams (per wheelset)
  • Max Tyre pressure45 Psi
  • Max rider weight100 kg
  • PriceR13,195.00 (On special at the time of this review for R10,995.00)

Aesthetics

My first impression of these wheels was that they look great! The decal design is subtle, but striking. Rocking up in the start pen for my maiden ride saw many heads were turning. Of course the fact that my bike is already black red and white doesn’t hurt. The decals themselves are covered by a light, matte finish which gives a great-looking, quality feel to rim surface.

Dark Horse Wheels DH29-1.jpg
Dark Horse Wheels DH29-2.jpg

The Ride

Besides the cool factor, switching to carbon rims is said to bring some changes to the feel and quality of your ride. A carbon rim wheel is typically stiffer than aluminium meaning less lateral flex. This results in better acceleration thanks to the improved power transfer and a more responsive, precise feel.

On the downside the added stiffness can result in a harsher ride (something I was concerned about when facing longer stage races or marathon events).

Against all common wisdom when it comes to trying new things my first ride on the DH29’s was the Die Burger 65km race in Stellenbosch. My secret hope was that the carbon factor would offset my fitness deficit. Aside from feeling a bit cooler, the lateral stiffness of the wheels was immediately apparent. There was a definite rigidity in the general ride quality and a hint of harshness on some bumps. Lowering the tire pressure just slightly smoothed off those harsh edges though.

Dark Horse Wheels DH29-3.jpg

Although I can’t say that I’ve found fault in my usual aluminum wheel set, the feel of these in sharp and hard turns was another noticeable difference. Initially I was caught a bit off guard by their responsiveness and precision, but soon it became the new normal and when back on my Crests the control just felt a bit vague.

In terms of compatibility and maintenance the DH29’s are pretty hassle free. Interchangeable end caps on the Bitex hubs mean they should fit most common axle standards. We tested these with Vitorria (GEAX) Saguro 2.25 and Onza Canis 2.25 and both were easy to fit and inflate with a standard foot pump. Removing tyres was a bit more tricky though and did require a bit more effort, but did leave us reassured that once seated there was little danger of burping or movement on the hookless rim.

Dark Horse Wheels DH29-10.jpg

Verdict

As far as carbon mountain bike wheels go the DH29 from Darkhorse Wheels are more budget friendly than most without sacrificing on quality. They proved to hold up admirably in some pretty testing conditions. After more than 6 weeks of solid riding on all sorts of terrain they are still running true.

Darkhorse Wheels are available via their website: www.darkhorsewheels.com

Comments

DirtyDan

Oct 7, 2015, 10:10 AM

Can't test them on tyres as *** as the Saguaros.

lukelockie

Oct 7, 2015, 10:19 AM

Can't test them on tyres as *** as the Saguaros.

What tires would you have used then?

DirtyDan

Oct 7, 2015, 10:27 AM

What tires would you have used then?

Onza Canis :P

JohanMalan

Oct 7, 2015, 10:44 AM

Testing a light carbon wheelset ( 1460gr) using pretty heavy tyres ( over 750gr per tyre) will not give you the best feel for this wheelset.

Horses for courses!

Maxxis Ikon ( 585gr) rear and Rocket Ron ( 605gr) front for this XC application, I would suggest.

Matt

Oct 7, 2015, 11:01 AM

Testing a light carbon wheelset ( 1460gr) using pretty heavy tyres ( over 750gr per tyre) will not give you the best feel for this wheelset.

Horses for courses!

Maxxis Ikon ( 585gr) rear and Rocket Ron ( 605gr) front for this XC application, I would suggest.

I prefer to run heavier, thicker tyres generally on any rim choice. If I were an XC race snake I'd certainly look at something lighter, but considering I have been running the same tyre on my everyday Crests it was a far better way to compare the feel without the influence of a difference tyre choice. 

lukelockie

Oct 7, 2015, 11:04 AM

I prefer to run heavier, thicker tyres generally on any rim choice. If I were an XC race snake I'd certainly look at something lighter, but considering I have been running the same tyre on my everyday Crests it was a far better way to compare the feel without the influence of a difference tyre choice. 

In the end, it is your opinion versus someone else's on tire choice. Carbon rims are the raciest of rims and should be paired with light tires in order to maximise speed.

You must remember that not everyone bashes about on a rigid SS, and we al have different needs :)

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Oct 7, 2015, 11:09 AM

In the end, it is your opinion versus someone else's on tire choice. Carbon rims are the raciest of rims and should be paired with light tires in order to maximise speed.

You must remember that not everyone bashes about on a rigid SS, and we al have different needs :)

but carbon rims aren't all about weight. A good rim weight is in the same region as a set of Crests or Flows (420g - 520g) depending on the width, layup and intended purpose

The primary reason for going carbon on rims is because of the STIFFNESS they provide vs normal alu rims. 

In determining the difference between carbon & alu rims, should one not go for the tyres that one is used to riding? Or go for the highest amount of grip possible so that they can determine whether they are in fact more laterally stiff than other rims?

I think you're missing the primary purpose here... 

Oct 7, 2015, 11:12 AM

Not always true, luke. You've fallen into your own trap here. 

I say again - stiffness. Not weight. 

You can still have an uber stiff wheel with a set of DH tyres and it'll be markedly better / stiffer / more responsive than a different, alu wheelset that weighs the same. 

LazyTrailRider

Oct 7, 2015, 11:26 AM

I'd say the stiffness factor outweighs (pardon the pun) the weight factor when one really looks at the value offered by a carbon wheelset.

I run these, which happen to weigh only slightly less than a set of alloy Havens (which aren't heavy by standards, but just for example). Yes, it's cool that they're a contributing factor to my bike weighing in at 12.6kg even though it's a 155/160mm beast, but I don't think that makes them worth the eye-watering cost. It's the stiffness which sets them apart. Once you realise that when you pick a line into super-gnarly stuff, your line simply sticks, you begin to appreciate them.

Iwan Kemp

Oct 7, 2015, 11:30 AM

I'd say the stiffness factor outweighs (pardon the pun) the weight factor when one really looks at the value offered by a carbon wheelset.

I run these, which happen to weigh only slightly less than a set of alloy Havens (which aren't heavy by standards, but just for example). Yes, it's cool that they're a contributing factor to my bike weighing in at 12.6kg even though it's a 155/160mm beast, but I don't think that makes them worth the eye-watering cost. It's the stiffness which sets them apart. Once you realise that you when pick a line into super-gnarly stuff, your line simply sticks, you begin to appreciate them.

True. Even more so on 29ers which suffer more from wheel deflection than any other wheel size.

Matt

Oct 7, 2015, 11:30 AM

To echo Myles for me (and many who go carbon) it was all about the stiffness. The weight advantage over a decent set of xc/marathon alu rims isn't massive, but the difference in stiffness is the biggest gain. 

Oct 7, 2015, 11:34 AM

True. Even more so on 29ers which suffer more from wheel deflection than any other wheel size.

SQUIRREL!

BTW. That's a sign of how easy it is for a niner wheel to deflect, and why it's important to get a stiffer setup. Carbonz does this. 

Oct 7, 2015, 11:37 AM

To echo Myles for me (and many who go carbon) it was all about the stiffness. The weight advantage over a decent set of xc/marathon alu rims isn't massive, but the difference in stiffness is the biggest gain. 

That's what she said... 

:ph34r:

Okay. Seriously now... that's exactly it. You honestly have to feel the difference to appreciate it. Inputs are sharper, lines are held more easily, direction changes happen instantaneously and often take you by surprize with how they just HAPPEN with so little input. You have to readjust because everything is just that much sharper. 

lukelockie

Oct 7, 2015, 11:41 AM

I got schooled:) thanks gents

rock

Oct 7, 2015, 12:21 PM

so carbon 29er rims give you the feeling of being back on your 26er - you know lighter, stiffer........

k, bye, :)

sias

Oct 7, 2015, 12:21 PM

What is the internal width of the rims, or is the 27mm the internal width?

Also, the price on their site is R10 195?

sias

Oct 7, 2015, 12:43 PM

so carbon 29er rims give you the feeling of being back on your 26er - you know lighter, stiffer........

k, bye, :)

And slower?

rock

Oct 7, 2015, 2:15 PM

What is the internal width of the rims, or is the 27mm the internal width?

Also, the price on their site is R10 195?

they're on promotion this week to coincide with the feature on bikehub,

DirtyDan

Oct 7, 2015, 5:58 PM

Something really bugs me here.

If you're not a sponsored pro, who in their right mind cashes in 11k on a snazzy wheel set just because it "feels stiffer"?

Don't tell me "because it's lighter and will make me faster", then you need to invest some time in actually learning to ride your bicycle - especially technical riding - rather than (futilely) throwing money at your slow issues.

Oct 7, 2015, 6:55 PM

Something really bugs me here.

If you're not a sponsored pro, who in their right mind cashes in 11k on a snazzy wheel set just because it "feels stiffer"?

Don't tell me "because it's lighter and will make me faster", then you need to invest some time in actually learning to ride your bicycle - especially technical riding - rather than (futilely) throwing money at your slow issues.

Something tells me you haven't ridden a set of carbon wheels yet. 

I don't own a set, but I have ridden a set, and I can tell you that the difference is night and day. 

Yes, you can get better by investing in some technical skills courses and riding the bike more often, but the point of the matter is - IT'S NOT YOUR MONEY. 

It won't "make you faster" for definite, but it may lead to the bike taking on a set of handling characteristics that enable you to progress faster and with more purpose, due to the fact that your inputs are now that much sharper and more direct (again, the difference is HUGE)

Same can be said for "who in their right mind cashes in 20 / 30 / 40 / 100 / 200k for a bike that their skill level will never unlock!?" - who are YOU to decide what someone decides to spend their cash on, or say that it's a stupid purchase?

Methinks the "bugging" is really a case of jealousy, and not understanding how something so deceptively "small" can make such a big difference.

BTW - I'd much rather have my bike (50k) and a set of carbon rims from Light Bicycle or someone else, than a 70k bike with alu rims. 

arendoog

Oct 8, 2015, 6:52 AM

I don,t see the value of carbon rims on a full suspension bike .On a road bike i notice the difference ,but a proper alu rim is already stiff enough 

Oct 8, 2015, 6:59 AM

I don,t see the value of carbon rims on a full suspension bike .On a road bike i notice the difference ,but a proper alu rim is already stiff enough 

think of what you notice on the road bike - and then think how much more deflective forces are on an MTB trail. 

On a full suss it's arguably more effective as it removes an element of flexion, and therefore allows the bike to do what it's designed to do. Plus it allows a far faster / sharper input. 

Eon du Plessis

Oct 8, 2015, 7:36 AM

Do you really notice a difference between an entry level wheel like Mavic Aksiums and a R12k set of Dark Horse carbon wheels? Understandably strangers wouldn't be keen to let me take their set for a spin and I don't have any close friends with sets to try and I'm not dropping that much on something that may not actually improve my experience.
Wannabe

Oct 8, 2015, 7:39 AM

Do you really notice a difference between an entry level wheel like Mavic Aksiums and a R12k set of Dark Horse carbon wheels? Understandably strangers wouldn't be keen to let me take their set for a spin and I don't have any close friends with sets to try and I'm not dropping that much on something that may not actually improve my experience.

YES YOU DO!!

Even an plonker like me noticed the difference between my American Classic alu rims and the AMC carbon rims I bought as racing whhels.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment