Tech

Review: fi’zi:k M5 BOA

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 4 comments

The fi’zi:k M5 BOA replaces the previous generations ratcheting buckle and loop straps for a BOA closure system.

The Shoe

ccs-62657-0-04865700-1479390335.jpg

The M5 BOA features uppers are made up from a mixture of Microtex synthetic leather and anti-scratch genuine leather. The genuine leather is placed around the toe box and heel cup to resist scuffing when walking. A lightweight mesh is used between the leather panels to assist with cooling and water movement. The Microtex inner liner is supposed to provide comfort and cooling.

Fi’zi:k use the same Superlight insole as the M5 road shoe. Despite not being custom molded like the top of the range fi’zi:k shoes, the M5 still promises to absorb vibrations and comfortably support the foot. The outsole is carbon-reinforced nylon.

Specifications

• Upper Material: [toe and heel] leather, [body] mesh
  • Lining: Microtex
  • Closure: BOA
  • Sole: carbon-reinforced nylon
  • Cleat Compatibility: 2-hole mountain
  • Claimed Weight: 360g each, size 42
  • Manufacturer’s Warranty: 2 years
  • RRP R2,550.00

On the Trail

Though they look narrow, the M5 BOA are surprisingly spacious. I have fairly wide feet and battle to find shoes that fit well. I did not experience any hot spots or discomfort through the test period. Similar to the rest of the shoe, the heel cup is very comfortable with no signs of slip when pedalling.

ccs-62657-0-36888900-1479390334.jpg
ccs-62657-0-71946100-1479390335.jpg

The outside of the shoes repel water quite well. Thankfully, they air out quickly when they do get wet. For the worst winter riding, which may include some hike-a-bike, there is the option to fit spikes to the soles to add some grip and traction. These will also help for those who participate in a bit of cyclocross style riding.

Although they are not the stiffest shoes on the block, they still push a lot of power through the pedals. In fact, I found the shoe to have a good balance between stiffness and comfort. Off the bike, the shoes are reasonably comfy, but they’re not the most flexible, so you wouldn’t want to hike in them for hours.

ccs-62657-0-21544800-1479390336.jpg
ccs-62657-0-19359200-1479390337.jpg

Verdict

The combination of materials, scuff protection, and design features have resulted in a very comfortable and seemingly durable shoe. The fi’zi:k M5 BOA is a great option for those looking for a clipless shoe that offers race-ready features at a more affordable price.

ccs-62657-0-71755800-1479390336.jpg

Comments

Eugene Brown

Nov 22, 2016, 5:23 AM

I've been using these shoes for just over 2 years now, with the moldable insoles fitted. I was skeptical about the BOA system, but it has only given me trouble once, after a big off into a puddle of sludge at Red Barn. The dial became loose, and wouldn't ratchet, but after rinsing it out with my water bottle, everything was back to normal :) Really good shoe for wide feet at a very good price!

Knersboy

Nov 22, 2016, 10:56 AM

Replaced my previous specialized shoes with these as I was getting some nasty hot foot. Has defiantly helped with the hot foot, very comfy shoes that I would recommend. Only issue is that the toe box is not as protective as what I was used to with the specialized shoes, if you hit a rock you feel it a bit more.

'Dale

Nov 22, 2016, 12:15 PM

Have this pair and the carbon soled version

Like a slipper

Love it

The Italians know how to make a cool looking, yet very practical and durable, skoen.

Traveler

Nov 22, 2016, 1:13 PM

Have been riding in a pair of these since end of 2015. These are without doubt the most comfortable MTB shoes I have owned; they have proved durable and offer a great balance between power and flex. If I replace them, it will be with a similar pair without any doubt.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment