Tech

Review: Giant Propel Advanced 2

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 17 comments

Giant first entered the aero road bike game in 2013 with the launch of their Propel Advanced SL. Tests showed that, at 40 kph, the Propel Advanced SL saves 12-36 seconds over 40 kilometres. Third-party wind-tunnel tests showed that the Propel Advanced SL is more aerodynamic from every yaw angle tested when compared to other leading aero road bikes.

ccs-62657-0-41251500-1446368797.jpg

The Frame

Giant says that during its design and development, they went through more than 80 iterations of the design as well as plenty of prototyping, riding and wind tunnel analysis to get to a happy medium. The bike’s geometry is based around the race-ready TCR and, its more forgiving stable mate, the Defy blending the best of both into an aero platform. Other than the lack of an integrated seatpost, the fundamentals of the Advanced 2 are the same as the SL: the frame geometry is identical and they share aero profiled tubes, oversized head tube and bearings, hidden brakes and profiled bars.

There is no excess on the frame with lots of attention to detail and, in keeping with the aero nature of the frame, everything is neatly tucked away behind or under a sculptured tube. One simple example of the thought that has gone into the bike is how the bottle cage mounts have been incorporated. The down tube changes shape midway through to incorporate a standard bottle cage that can fit a round bottle. The second bottle cage mounts on the seat tube are lower, so they stay in line with the down tube bottle. Clever stuff.

ccs-62657-0-20251800-1446368854.jpg
ccs-62657-0-80564700-1446368811.jpg

The only oddity seems to be the loop the rear derailleur outer makes from the handlebar to where it disappears into the top tube behind the steerer tube. In terms of aero gain, that’s the place to do it as it’s already in “dirty” air, but it’s bit unsightly.

Specification

• SizesXS, S, M, ML, L, XL
  • ColoursComp (Matte/Gloss), Blue (Matte/Gloss)
  • FrameAdvanced-Grade Composite
  • ForkAdvanced-Grade Composite, Hybrid OverDrive Steerer
  • HandlebarGiant Connect
  • StemGiant Connect, ±8-degree rise
  • SeatpostGiant Vector Composite
  • SaddleGiant Performance Men’s, Manganese rails
  • ShiftersShimano 105, 11-speed
  • Front DerailleurShimano 105, 11-speed
  • Rear DerailleurShimano 105, 11-speed
  • BrakesGiant SpeedControl SL
  • Brake LeversShimano 105
  • CassetteShimano 105 11-28, 11s
  • ChainKMC X11L
  • CranksetShimano RS500, 34/50
  • Bottom BracketShimano, Press Fit
  • RimsGiant P-A2
  • HubsGiant Performance Tracker Road, Sealed Bearing
  • SpokesSapim Race
  • TyresGiant P-R3, Flat Guard, front and rear specific, 700×23
  • Retail Price R 26,495.00 (2016 pricing: R 28,495.00)

Components

Powering the Advanced 2 is Shimano’s excellent 11-speed 105 groupset paired with a RS500 chainset. This was obviously done to hit a certain price point and although it makes no immediately obvious difference to the performance of the drivertrain, there is a slight weight penalty and it limits the chainring choice to a 34/50, something some riders may find to be too low. Even so the drivetrain performed flawlessly during my time on the bike and to be honest the 34/50 was at times a welcome spec choice.

ccs-62657-0-89247100-1446368818.jpg
ccs-62657-0-63256500-1446368827.jpg
ccs-62657-0-74158700-1446368834.jpg

Except for the KMC chain and Sapim spokes, the rest of the kit comes from Giant’s own range of gear. It may lack some big name wow factor, but there is little to fault in terms of performance and it helps keep the price within range for some buyers. The aero-profiled alloy P-A2 rims are suited to all-round riding. Acceleration was good and climbing out of saddle (something I don’t do too often) showed they were stiff with good engagement from the hub. The bike came fitted with Giant’s own brand tyres, which have proved to be a good tyre, offering lots of grip in both wet and dry conditions and did not suffer any punctures. They have since made way for a set of Vee Tire Co Apache tires we have on test.

ccs-62657-0-30346200-1446368862.jpgRideSense: Integration for a cadence and wheel speed sensor.

The SpeedControl SL brakeset (made by TRP) is well up to the task with its aero shape keeping the overall profile of the bike down and with it the drag low. Special mention has to go to the in-house saddle. I found it comfortable from the first ride and it never caused me any issues or pain. Well done to Giant for getting it just right.

On the Road

At 179cm, the M/L was a perfect fit. A low front end means you will be able to go very aggressive with your setup and run a super low, slammed stem and handlebar for maximum aero effect. This will cost you some comfort, but raising and dropping a stem is easy enough to go back to a more comfortable position on longer training rides.

ccs-62657-0-35370400-1446368842.jpg
ccs-62657-0-94118400-1446368870.jpg

I can’t honestly comment on just how much the aero shape plays a part in real life conditions, but the Propel certainly felt fast. Much has been said about the ride qualities of aero road bikes and I’m glad to report that the Propel, as tested, suffers from just about none of that. To be clear – it is not a Defy and cannot match it for its all-day comfort. In terms of feel it is closer to a TCR, but it is not nearly as harsh a ride as some other aero bikes I’ve sampled and could easily be anyone’s “one bike”. The frame and fork manage to soak up high frequency vibrations and chatter well enough to keep fatigue at bay and with the growing trend of wider road tires there is little to nothing to write home about.

Thankfully that doesn’t come at the expense of handling. The Propel carves corners and mountain pass descents with precision. There were no scary or sketchy moments pushing the bike – it felt like anything I could throw at it was well within its ability. It picks up and maintains speed with the vigour and determination of a Fox Terrier.

Verdict

Not one to comment too often on looks in a review as it is very subjective, but I will make an exception on this one: The frame is beautifully designed with lines that blend and flow into each other. The paint job can look plain in some stock photos, but it looks great in the flesh. There is a bit of “satin” in the paint that makes it pop, making this one stand out.

ccs-62657-0-89592400-1446368804.jpg

Think of the Propel Advanced 2 as a great road bike that happens to be aero and you get the picture. If ever you were looking at getting an aero road bike, but are worried about the ride quality, then this is the one to get. Late to the game, but nailed it at first attempt did Giant. This leaves me to wonder that if the Advanced 2 is this good, what must the Advanced SL 0 ride like?

From the Manufacturer:

Escape from the pack, its just you against the wind. Sprints, attacks or solo rides find your edge with this class-leading aero road bike.

• Stiff enough to transfer power to the pedals, forgiving enough to keep you comfortable during long training efforts. A class-leading aerodynamic road frame module based on extensive wind tunnel testing-that’s Propel Advanced.
  • Lightweight Advanced-grade composite frameset
  • Aerodynamic shaping throughout including headtube, downtube, seatstays, fork and seattube
  • Aerodynamic composite seatpost for maximum aero’ advantage
  • Internal cable routing and aero brake system-no detail overlooked

Related posts

Comments

Vanzyl

Nov 2, 2015, 9:35 AM

Wow...HOT!!!

Iwan Kemp

Nov 3, 2015, 7:07 AM

Wow...HOT!!!

And it's an absolute stunner in the flesh!

Jaq L

Nov 7, 2015, 7:48 PM

Dodgy bike from a Dodgy supplier! Save your money for another brand. A good mate who I regularly ride with, had his for 3 weeks and only rode it on weekends. This past Sunday while riding in the cradle he tackled a hill and "bang" the hanger gave out and caused significant damage to the frame, the rear derailleur, and to the spokes. When complaining to Cajees about the problem they exclaimed that he peddles too hard and that its his fault for being in the wrong gear when ascending the hill. They made him pay for the repairs and offered him no further assistance.

That - in my books - is totally unacceptable and appalling of Giant and the Cajees supplier. I won't be buying from either Cajees or Giants brands and will continue to warn all those I know, away from their dodgy business practise.

The MTBer

Nov 7, 2015, 8:00 PM

Dodgy bike from a Dodgy supplier! Save your money for another brand. A good mate who I regularly ride with, had his for 3 weeks and only rode it on weekends. This past Sunday while riding in the cradle he tackled a hill and "bang" the hanger gave out and caused significant damage to the frame, the rear derailleur, and to the spokes. When complaining to Cajees about the problem they exclaimed that he peddles too hard and that its his fault for being in the wrong gear when ascending the hill. They made him pay for the repairs and offered him no further assistance.

That - in my books - is totally unacceptable and appalling of Giant and the Cajees supplier. I won't be buying from either Cajees or Giants brands and will continue to warn all those I know, away from their dodgy business practise.

I see only one problem there, and it is Cajees

Why didn't he do for a second opinion at an other Giant bike shop?

I've been riding Giant for 7 years with no issues, that is just plain ridiculous to call Giant a dodgy business!

Welcome to the HUB, your first Rant wasn't so good, I am sorry. I will say with Gaint no matter what!

Monark

Nov 7, 2015, 8:11 PM

Jacques that is utter nonsense. Giant has a life time warranty on the frame. I suggest that your mate go to another bike shop and get a second opinion. I've ridden Giant for over a decade and have only ever been amazed by the after sales service

Rocket-Boy

Nov 7, 2015, 8:15 PM

Im sorry but calling Giant a dodgy brand is a joke.

The lifetime warranty is generally associated with a brand that stands by its products.

Dragu

Nov 7, 2015, 8:32 PM

Giant is one of the biggest and oldest brands in the world, to call it dodgy just shows ignorance

Jaq L

Nov 8, 2015, 12:20 PM

Easy guys - you'd swear that you're all Giant sales reps with a bad service record.

@ MTBer - Whilst I appreciate your moral high ground and your authority as a fellow hubber, this is not my first post or rant, in fact I have another account and I've been a member since 2009 - longer then you have.

Overall when it comes to reliability I don't care about how long a brand has been around or how big they are (this didn't curb Toyota nor VW)- if they're going to produce goods that self implode when riding up hills that they're supposedly designed for, then I have a major issue with the products' and the brands integrity especially where People pay good money for supposed innovation and quality.

No brand is beyond reproach nor should consumers ever have to tolerate mediocrity. Whilst I'm sure many other giant road bike consumers maybe very happy with their purchase I am very weary of the brand and I'll continue to voice my opinion - especially if you consider the mass recall of the Giant Anthem in 2010- 2011.

So, no more name-calling and condescending chirps. I've stated facts and I've made my point - there's nothing more to debate. This is a dodgy bike and the supplier Cajee is even more dodgy for not assisting with a clear manufacturers defect.

Butterbean

Nov 8, 2015, 12:36 PM

Easy guys - you'd swear that you're all Giant sales reps with a bad service record.@ MTBer - Whilst I appreciate your moral high ground and your authority as a fellow hubber, this is not my first post or rant, in fact I have another account and I've been a member since 2009 - longer then you have.Overall when it comes to reliability I don't care about how long a brand has been around or how big they are (this didn't curb Toyota nor VW)- if they're going to produce goods that self implode when riding up hills that they're supposedly designed for, then I have a major issue with the products' and the brands integrity especially where People pay good money for supposed innovation and quality. No brand is beyond reproach nor should consumers ever have to tolerate mediocrity. Whilst I'm sure many other giant road bike consumers maybe very happy with their purchase I am very weary of the brand and I'll continue to voice my opinion - especially if you consider the mass recall of the Giant Anthem in 2010- 2011.So, no more name-calling and condescending chirps. I've stated facts and I've made my point - there's nothing more to debate. This is a dodgy bike and the supplier Cajee is even more dodgy for not assisting with a clear manufacturers defect.

First off - having two accounts is not allowed and should be banned from both.

I can't understand how you're slagging off a very well respected brand in both performance and customer service when clearly the issue was with a retailer who treated your friends case badly? Cajees is so well known for being the dodgiest, crappest shops around. They are a few grand cheaper, but you get what you pay for in the cycling world.

Your friend should contact giant directly and dispute it. You will likely find the shop didn't even approach giant in the first place.

Your resentment for the brand is very badly placed and you need to reevaluate the situation.

CYCLERENT SERVICES

Nov 8, 2015, 12:51 PM

I mustve had about 30 top end roadbikes over the last couple of years and bought the 2016 TCR carbon with Ultegra 11 speed

I could not believe that n sub 50k bike ride as good if not better than most of my previous roadbikes at twice the price

It really is up there these days with the best in the world at a fraction of the price

Its normal for a jockey to go into the spokes if the bike hasnt been assembled right and rear der limit set from the beginning

The bike could've also fallen over on the jockey causing the hanger to bend and shifting past the limit that should stop it

If Marcel Kittels power dont bend dropouts I think most other people also wont - And its also not a Giant jockey that went into the spokes so maybe a bit harsh to blame the bike brand for a groupset error

In more than 20 years in the bicycle industry I have never not once had any problems with Dragons Sports the Importers of Giant they most probably dont even know that your jockey went into spokes

Just my 2 cents...

Capricorn

Nov 9, 2015, 5:47 AM

hectic bit of self-righteous indignation there, Jacques. Perhaps test your assertions that Giant is a *** brand by dealing with them directly. Reserve your harsh judgements till after you've exhausted reasonable options.

the nerd

Nov 9, 2015, 5:53 AM

what a box...

Underachiever

Nov 9, 2015, 6:08 AM

Jacques if you know anything about cycling then you should know that Cajees is the problem here.

I have 6 Giants at home and been supporting the brand for more than a decade.  Nothing wrong with the bikes if they are decently assembled - something Cajees knows nothing about.

rock

Nov 9, 2015, 7:13 AM

If Marcel Kittels power dont bend dropouts I think most other people also wont - A

Juts as an FYI, most pro's have custom steel drop outs on their bikes cause their bikes take such a beating in crashes etc. and they can risk a cracked frame and place more importance on getting to the finish line.

you and me would rather have the alloy hangar snap and save our frame.

Rocket-Boy

Nov 9, 2015, 7:49 AM

Oh well, looks like all of the recommendations in the "which marathon bike" type threads are going to need to change from anthems to something else in future, what with Giant being such a bad brand.

Im going to need to get rid of my anthem and rethink the propel roadie I was considering too.

bssales

Nov 9, 2015, 7:09 PM

Like another famous online retailer cajees is known for bringing in grey imports. Meaning a warranty would come out of their pocket and not from Dragons Sports

NGUTF

Nov 10, 2015, 4:58 PM

Cajees should be called Crapjees. Walked into one today for the first time in about 7 years after they sold me a bike that was 2 sizes to big. 20 seconds later I remember why I stopped going there. Have never had an issue with my Giant MTB's and like a previous hubber said, life time warranty on factory faults.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment