Tech

Review: Momsen LA651

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 4 comments

The Momsen LA651 is a women’s specific 650b hardtail. Retailing at just over R7,000 it falls firmly in the entry-level category, however it might be just the ticket to encourage you or your partner to fall in love with biking, without making the huge financial commitment required by a higher specced model.

ccs-62657-0-21653500-1444635878.jpg

The LA651 is an attractive bike and features the ubiquitous pink and black colour scheme seen on many women’s models. Attention to detail is shown in the carefully matched decals on the saddle, rims and fork.

The ride

I found the handling enjoyable, and good for a beginner as the bike was nicely manoeuvrable on the flat and downhill. On the climbs, I found it a little heavy, and sometimes struggled to get over obstacles. I am must admit that I landed in a bush while trying out an interesting new line up some single track. I then did the same thing on my own bike a few days later- so I can only blame myself, and not the equipment.

ccs-62657-0-50352700-1443789013.jpg

I was impressed by the performance of the Shimano 3×9 drivetrain, which shifted reliably throughout the ride. The Tektro Hydraulic brakes performed adequately, although I did not tangle with any flat-out descents. The SR Suntour XCM fork felt a lot stiffer than what I am used to, but it worked well enough for moderate single track- although I would not recommended it for tackling flights of stairs, drop offs or rougher trails.

ccs-62657-0-47927100-1443789012.jpg

The LA651 features a low standover height, as is seen on most women’s specific models, which makes getting on and off much easier, and keeps the centre of gravity low and stable. The geometry meant that my seat was just below the bars, meaning that I was riding in a very upright commuter-style, which felt a little awkward.

I had some issues with the overall comfort- I tried the small frame size, and suspect I would be better off on a medium. My bum did not appreciate the saddle, so I got a great workout standing a lot more than usual, which was fine for short rides. I also found the ergonomic grip shape to be annoying- to me it felt more like pushing a trolley than riding a bike, but the shape might be confidence-inspiring for a beginner, and is a matter of personal preference.

ccs-62657-0-05249400-1443789014.jpg

In the end

The LA651 is a good introductory bike, especially for shorter women, thanks to the 650b wheel size, which makes handling easier than that of a 29er, while still giving improved rollover when compared with 26” wheels. It is quite capable of keeping up with better specced bike-companions, on short rides and easy single track, and will allow a weekend warrior to enjoy the outdoors without breaking the bank.

Comments

Chro Mo

Oct 9, 2015, 1:22 PM

are the grips not on back to front?

Kylie

Oct 9, 2015, 1:50 PM

Looks like they may have twisted some time before the photo shoot. They twist pretty easily. I had to readjust them once or twice while riding.

Simon123

Oct 11, 2015, 10:32 PM

I know the female body has a different leg length : upper body ratio to guys, but surely one can get better value (lighter, better frame + components)  for similar money in a men's bike?

2wheelmachine

Oct 12, 2015, 9:20 AM

a salesman named Fabian from Northcliff cycles recommended this bike to me (but mens version), so i bought one for me and my wife and i really think its an awesome bike. i know that Northcliff cycles are selling them at R6000 each, as they bought a lot of them from the suplliers. awesome shop and awesome service.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment