Tech

Review: PowerTap P1 Pedals

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 40 comments

Offering a unique solution, the P1 pedals by PowerTap are self-contained units, having all the electronics and battery contained in a 196g pedal. As with other offerings, Look Keo cleats can be used, but they ship with with proprietary 6 degree float PowerTap cleats and hardware. They also offer a 0 degree float cleat option as an extra accessory.

ccs-62657-0-32055900-1444736034.jpg

The P1 measures cadence through a digital encoder, as there isn’t an accelerometer. As with all PowerTap power meters, accuracy is claim to be +/- 1.5 percent. Communication with other devices is either through Bluetooth Smart (aka 4.0) or ANT+. The pedals are fully plug-and-play with the AAA batteries giving a claimed battery life of 60 hours. The right pedal is a “slave” pedal that passes it’s data to the left pedal to transmit to the head unit. Each pedal has a LED indicator that will flash green once woken and connected or red in various patterns if there is a problem. When battery life reaches 20%, the P1 sends a low battery flag to your head unit, this warning should help prevent complete loss of battery. If the right pedal battery dies, the left pedal will double its output to create a power reading. If the left battery dies, there will be no power reading.

ccs-62657-0-55344500-1444736036.jpg
ccs-62657-0-85790700-1444736037.jpg
ccs-62657-0-40435600-1444748398.jpg

Each pedal houses eight strain gauges in the steel axle, spinning on two needle bearings and one case bearing. According to PowerTap, the bearings should be good for many thousands of miles, but you can’t service them yourself. Serviceability is limited to external wear items like the claw, spring, pedal plate and battery cover o-ring. All other internal wear components must be serviced by PowerTap.

In addition to the strain gauges built into each pedal there is a “Multipole Ring” sensor with 20 magnets positioned around each pedal spindle. This measures the application of force throughout the entire stroke and identifies dead spots and pedal-stroke inefficiencies. To date, PowerTap is yet to find a way to display this data, but they are working on it and it’s certainly exciting to know the tech exists and comes already build in.

ccs-62657-0-70351800-1444736034.jpgA green LED indicates that the pedals are on and connected. It turns red when there are complications.

Specs

• Weight: 398 grams (Actual weight of 421g on our test pair)
  • Thread Type: 9/16″
  • Cleat Interface: 3 bolt
  • Cleat: Red, 6 degree floating
  • Spring Type: Adjustable Elastomer
  • Proven PowerTap accuracy
  • Release Tension: 6-20 Nm
  • Stack Height: 14mm
  • Centre of Pedal: 53mm (measured from crank to pedal)
  • Lean Angle: 25.5 degrees (based on 175mm crank length, 75mm BB drop and 147mm Q-Factor crank)
  • Firmware Updates: Over the air
  • Connectivity: ANT+ and Bluetooth SMART
  • Battery: AAA
  • Battery Life: 60 hours
  • WARRANTY: PowerTap 2 Year Warranty
  • Recommended Retail Price: R17,995.00

Accessories

PowerTap Joule GPS+

ANT+ allows the unit to connect with power meters, heart rate straps and other devices and sensors. With Bluetooth, the Joule GPS+ can do a wireless upload to PowerTap’s mobile app, which in turn can be linked to auto-upload to popular training sites like Strava and TrainingPeaks. With about 80 hours of internal memory your rides and info will remain safe until you next make it to your computer to transfer the data.

ccs-62657-0-14724600-1444736038.jpg
ccs-62657-0-67464800-1444744251.jpg

The PowerTap Joule GPS cycling computer allows you to upload routes and receive turn-by-turn directions while riding your bike. To do so, create the route using any popular map creation software or website, export the route in .GPX or .TCX file type, and upload to the Joule GPS using PowerAgent.

The Joule GPS+ was a joy to use. Simple to set up and understand, taking no time away from riding your bike. Pairing devices was quick and painless and once a connection was established it was rock-solid for the duration of my training. I didn’t use the turn-by-turn navigation often, but when I did it was accurate and can be a bonus to riders training a specific route or when out exploring on your bicycle.

ccs-62657-0-93426100-1444736034.jpg

The screen and the data views are highly configurable. In direct sunlight it does suffer a bit, but not to the extent where you can’t see the display. It’s route logging is accurate and the GPS signal is solid once acquired.

• VAM – How quickly the rider is climbing a hill. The rate of ascent in meters/hour. This feature is most effectively used in interval mode. Start an interval at the bottom of a large climb. Stop the interval at the top. See how quickly you’re gaining elevation.
  • Normalized Power (NP) – An estimate of the power the rider could have maintained for the same physiological “cost” if the output power was constant.
  • IF – Comparison (ratio) of a ride’s normalized power to the rider’s threshold value.
  • TSS – Training stress score: an estimation of a ride’s total difficultly based on glycogen burned.

For more definitions and information, you can visit PowerTap’s Glossary.

Specs

• Unit dimensions: 48mm x 69mm x 22mm
  • Display size, WxH: 30mm x 37mm
  • Display resolution, WxH: Combo Dot Matrix
  • Weight: 75 grams
  • Battery: Rechargeable Lithium Ion
  • Battery life: 17 Hours, typical
  • Mount: Front of bar/Stem/Handlebar
  • ANT+: Yes
  • Bluetooth SMART: Yes
  • Memory: 40 Hours second by second
  • Downloadable: Yes – includes power, altitude, TSS, normalized power and other critical power training data
  • Barometric Altimeter: Yes
  • GPS: Yes
  • Accepts data cards: No
  • Intervals: Yes
  • 1 second ride data: Yes
  • Ride Reports: Yes
  • Ride History: Yes
  • History w/Current Ride Comparisons: Yes
  • Workouts: Yes
  • Extras: Out front mount, Stem/handlebar mount, Download/Recharging USB Cable, Quick start guide
  • Recommended Retail Price (Joule GPS+ with PowerCal): R4,995.00

PowerTap PowerCal

The PowerCal is a chest strap that converts your heart rate into an ANT+ watts signal that can then be displayed on the CycleOps Joule or any other compatible unit. The calculation is done using an algorithm which quantifies your effort on the bike, providing a real-time ‘wattage’ number as you ride.

Specs:

• Signal Transmission: Bluetooth Smart (Cycling Power Service, Heart Rate Service, Device Info Service) or ANT+ (2.4 GHz)
  • Operational Temperature: 0-40C/32-103F
  • Battery Type: CR2032
  • Battery Life: 400 Operational Hours (Bluetooth); 600 Operational Hours (ANT+)
  • The PowerCal is not a waterproof device and should not be submerged in water
  • PowerCal BLE is compatible exclusively with the PowerTap mobile application on iPhone 4S or higher.
  • PowerCal ANT+ is compatible with android and iPhone/iPad devices with use of appropriate ANT+ adapter key
  • PowerCal ANT+ is not compatible with cervos (little yellow computer) or older grey indoor cycle consoles.
  • Recommended Retail Price: R1,495.00

ccs-62657-0-19192600-1444736035.jpg

I found the PowerCal a bit gimmicky. I think it will offer a rider a step into power training without the relatively high cost of a power meter pedal, hub or chaining, but for the serious athlete it is not accurate enough. By their own admission PowerTap say that the PowerCal is not as accurate as a power meter and is not intended to replace one. They say that research has shown varying degrees of accuracy based on individuals and types of riding.

Fitting the P1 to a bike

The pedals are calibrated at PowerTap’s US manufacturing facility and installation is the same as fitting regular pedals using a 8mm Allen key – no need for special tools. If you would like to use a torque wrench, make use of your crank’s torque guide. The P1 pedals automatically detect the installation angle, accurate to within 0.5 degrees, and they also learn the crank arm length after a few revolutions using the built-in gyro. The pedal knows its position in the stroke, as the gyro gives a precise north/south tracking. PowerTap recommends that you manually zero the pedals before each ride.

Release tension can be set using a 2.5mm hex wrench to adjust between a range of 6 – 20 Nm. The P1 pedal’s stack height is 14mm, which is about 3-5mm greater than some other popular pedal systems on the market, so remember to account for this with your saddle height when moving to the P1.

Elliptical or oval rings are supported with the P1. The P1 takes 40 individual angular velocity measurements and subsequently 40 power measurements per pedal stroke. Any acceleration/deceleration within a pedal stroke would be measured. Compare this to some other systems that assume constant angular velocity, which typically reports higher power when using non-round rings.

On the Road

Out on the road, the pedals work very well and in general use there is nothing that will give away the fact that they are not ordinary pedals. Clipping in and out is positive and, depending on the cleats you opt for, there is a good amount of float. PowerTap has ensured the pedals can stand up to plenty of abuse by testing them to extremes – from underwater to high weight loads, and they are confident the pedals can cope with whatever the most demanding cyclist can throw their way. To increase longevity, the metal plate on top of the pedal is replaceable.

ccs-62657-0-56885600-1444736035.jpg
ccs-62657-0-98097700-1444736035.jpg

Once you have the Joule’s screen set up to display the fields you would like to view, all you have to do is get going. The Joule GPS+ will start recording your ride as soon as it picks up that you’re moving and, as explained above, the P1’s will pick up crank arm length and exactly where it is in the stroke thanks to it’s host of build-in sensors.

Live left / right analysis while riding is great feature over and above pure power figures and that alone gave me enough to work on during the review period. It was especially interesting to see that one leg drops a greater percentage of power when the fatigue sets in. This information will not only help cyclists improve general strength and endurance, but help athletes recover from injuries and ensure that they do not put unnecessary strain on their legs or knees while recovering.

Ground clearance is a non-issue to me and should be for most, if not all, riders and so to is the increase in weight (keeping in mind what you gain out of it). I have read comments about their ground clearance, but can’t remember ever seeing any road bike rider scraping his pedals going around a corner. If you are that one in a million for whom it may be an issue, chances are that you will end up scraping the side of the pedal before the bottom.

Verdict

During my time using the pedals I have found them to be very accurate and consistent. There were no signs of spikes or false data on any of my rides, even though I used them in varying temperatures, on the road and on an indoor trainer. The pedals and accessories as tested are well made and the perceived quality is high, leaving me with the impression that it will last for many a season of riding and training.

Having access to cadence, power, heart rate and left / right power data while training opens up a plethora of training options. You can now monitor strength training, efforts during high intensity interval training, look after yourself during recovery rides and work on not only increasing base fitness, but ultimate strength and peak performance too. All of this in an easy to use and set up pair of pedals and cycling computer.

ccs-62657-0-43697000-1444736033.jpgLeft to right: Shimano PD-R540, PowerTap P1, and Look Keo 2 Max.

Pros

• Easy to install
  • Can be moved between bikes in very little time
  • Self-contained means less that can get damaged or lost
  • Two-sided measurement
  • Accurate
  • 2 Year Warranty
  • Crash Replacement Policy
  • Connection to head unit is quick and rock solid
  • User friendly

Cons

• Price?
  • Weight penalty over standard pedals
  • PowerTap app only available to Apple users at the moment

From the Manufacturer:

These aren’t ordinary pedals. The P1 pedal is a simple, intelligent and uncompromising design that provides the same proven PowerTap accuracy and reliability. The simple one-piece design easily mounts to any crank and does not require calibration nor installation angle setting, providing a true “plug-and-play” experience. The P1 also features dual band ANT+ and Bluetooth SMART for compatibility with a multitude of head units and smart devices. Plus, the independent measurement opens the possibility for a new set of pedaling metrics previously unavailable to help give you the ultimate competitive edge.

We’re proud to offer a 2 year warranty worldwide on all of our PowerTap branded power meters.

PowerTap P1 user guide.

Comments

Capricorn

Oct 14, 2015, 6:05 AM

nvm. found the price after scrolling a zillion times. *sigh*.. need to wake up.

travisza

Oct 14, 2015, 6:13 AM

I've heard reports on other forums about poor battery life. A follow up on how long batteries lasted would be appreciated

BicyclePower

Oct 14, 2015, 6:28 AM

The battery life on the PowerTap P1 pedals should last the average rider between 4 - 6 weeks depending on riding. The benefit of the AAA battery is that it is the second most common battery available in the world and fits in nicely behind the axle of the pedals eliminating the need for pods. 

Future firmware updates on the pedals should include extension on battery life along with active peddling dynamics. 

Skinnyone

Oct 14, 2015, 6:33 AM

The bonus regarding the battery life is that you can buy a set of AAA batteries literally anywhere and relatively cheap. they can be changed on the road as well as you just need a 6mm allen key - which is found on 99% of multi tools carried...

Iwan Kemp

Oct 14, 2015, 6:44 AM

I've heard reports on other forums about poor battery life. A follow up on how long batteries lasted would be appreciated

BicyclePower's reply below is spot on - depending on use obviously.

The battery life on the PowerTap P1 pedals should last the average rider between 4 - 6 weeks depending on riding. The benefit of the AAA battery is that it is the second most common battery available in the world and fits in nicely behind the axle of the pedals eliminating the need for pods. 

Future firmware updates on the pedals should include extension on battery life along with active peddling dynamics. 

Agreed

The bonus regarding the battery life is that you can buy a set of AAA batteries literally anywhere and relatively cheap. they can be changed on the road as well as you just need a 6mm allen key - which is found on 99% of multi tools carried...

True. Bonus is most, if not all, riders will have a multi-tool with them and to carry a spare AAA won't cost you a podium.

I'd probably have 2 sets of rechargeable batteries and cycle them. (See what I did there?)

Iwan Kemp

Oct 14, 2015, 6:48 AM

For those interested here's a LED Indicator chart

?ui=2&ik=c88433d084&view=fimg&th=1505635

Something else I noticed while taking the photos: of all the road pedals I had on hand the P1's were the only ones that could stand on the axle. The others are all rear heavy and kept falling over and n doing so ruined my chances of a side profile pic of each.

May not have a massive effect, or at all, but the P1's are balanced front to back. Not 50/50, though. Probably closer to 40/60. Use it, don't use it.

raptor-22

Oct 14, 2015, 6:58 AM

Road clipless balance rearward to aid the rider finding the front hook for the cleat. It makes entry to the engagement more consistent. MTB pedals are dual sided so engagement is easier anyway

Looking at the bulk and compromise the pedal based systems have to work around I'm still leaning toward a crank based systems like stages or 4iiii Precision

Skinnyone

Oct 14, 2015, 7:12 AM

Looking at the bulk and compromise the pedal based systems have to work around I'm still leaning toward a crank based systems like stages or 4iiii Precision

If I may ask - why is that your preference?

travisza

Oct 14, 2015, 7:54 AM

4-6 weeks depending on riding doesnt really mean anything does it?

Could be 4-6 months if I rode 15min every 3 weeks. I was looking for an estimate on hte number of hours of battery life. Yes I could easily replace the batteries, but I dont want to be doing that every 10 hours if possible.

BicyclePower

Oct 14, 2015, 8:11 AM

Could be 4-6 months if I rode 15min every 3 weeks. I was looking for an estimate on hte number of hours of battery life. Yes I could easily replace the batteries, but I dont want to be doing that every 10 hours if possible.

The AAA battery is rated at 60h. 

Iwan Kemp

Oct 14, 2015, 8:15 AM

60 hours. Says so in the review.  ;)

"The pedals are fully plug-and-play with the AAA batteries giving a claimed battery life of 60 hours" 

mr HED

Oct 14, 2015, 8:46 AM

i have had these since they launched, used between 2 road bikes, no power variances , no issues. loving them.

raptor-22

Oct 14, 2015, 8:59 AM

If I may ask - why is that your preference?

Firstly Left and right measurement is not a necessity.

Secondly all the pedal based systems seem to have big  compromises. Look and Garmin have the ugly potentially vulnerable pods and PT has the bulky look and high stack height.

Crank base systems look cleaner, offer excellent accuracy , consistency, repeatability and reproducability at a lower cost.

These systems are also quite a bit lighter and far less vulnerable.

raptor-22

Oct 14, 2015, 8:59 AM

"The pedals are fully plug-and-play with the AAA batteries giving a claimed battery life of 60 hours" 

at what sample rate is that battery life claimed?

travisza

Oct 14, 2015, 9:04 AM

My bad.

Iwan Kemp

Oct 14, 2015, 9:06 AM

Yes, we can get very technical about this only to realize that no two batteries are the same and that different brands and different models yield varying results. OR the user can ride and gauge it himself and work from there. Again, to carry a spare AAA battery or two with you towards the end of the current one's life will not do any harm. 

travisza

Oct 14, 2015, 9:06 AM

Firstly Left and right measurement is not a necessity.

Secondly all the pedal based systems seem to have big  compromises. Look and Garmin have the ugly potentially vulnerable pods and PT has the bulky look and high stack height.

Crank base systems look cleaner, offer excellent accuracy , consistency, repeatability and reproducability at a lower cost.

These systems are also quite a bit lighter and far less vulnerable.

Agree with what you've written and while the size of the pedal isnt my favourite (just from a looks point of view, I can't see too much issue with vulnerability)  its the ease with which you can swap between bikes which is making me consider these (as soon as I manage to save the cash)

travisza

Oct 14, 2015, 9:10 AM

Yes, we can get very technical about this only to realize that no two batteries are the same and that different brands and different models yield varying results. OR the user can ride and gauge it himself and work from there. Again, to carry a spare AAA battery or two with you towards the end of the current one's life will not do any harm. 

We're looking at power metres....suggests that by our very nature we are concerned with the technical bits  ;)

Reason I asked is that I found a number of complaints online regarding the battery life. Yes they could be using poor quality batteries but you wouldnt be stoked to spend R18k on a power metre and then find that based on your experience you need to replace batteries every month. Im not going to spend a large amount of money without doing full research,

Iwan Kemp

Oct 14, 2015, 9:15 AM

We're looking at power metres....suggests that by our very nature we are concerned with the technical bits  ;)

Reason I asked is that I found a number of complaints online regarding the battery life. Yes they could be using poor quality batteries but you wouldnt be stoked to spend R18k on a power metre and then find that based on your experience you need to replace batteries every month. Im not going to spend a large amount of money without doing full research,

I get that. Using 4 rechargeables will be easy enough. 

Agree with what you've written and while the size of the pedal isnt my favourite (just from a looks point of view, I can't see too much issue with vulnerability)  its the ease with which you can swap between bikes which is making me consider these (as soon as I manage to save the cash)

The size of the pedal is a non-issue to me. Unless you are worried about the extra rotational weight. Once clipped in there is no way of knowing or feeling the extra bulk. The extra height can be accounted for easily enough.

But for the money it is worth looking at all available options and weigh up the pros and cons of each.

BicyclePower

Oct 14, 2015, 9:19 AM

every 1 sec.

raptor-22

Oct 14, 2015, 9:19 AM

@travisza: Yes swopping pedals between bikes is much easier but depending on the crank you use these is pretty simple as well.

@Iwan,

Sure we can technical and carrying spare AAA's is an option but I don't understand why you don't want to entertain discussion. Its like you lay down the law in a review and only praise and adulation is acceptable? 

Discussion is not a reflection on your review but a desire to understand the product in more detail. Many electronics goods company's list the best achievable battery life. Some provide battery life based on only a specific set of data that is being measured at a low sample rate and others provide battery life based on the amount of data sampled per second. its like mobile phones, with all the useful apps running you only get half the advertised battery life.

When one is considering dropping R20k on a power meter regret decisions is not an option. For me these are a nice option but they're not significantly cheaper than the LOOK system, but that system has pretty good battery life. Personally I don't like AAA's due to their lack of capacity and as you mentioned variability in that capacity hen new. CR2032's are pretty consistent and have good capacity and therefore life.

Yes there's lots of choice out there but hence the point of discussion......to choose.

raptor-22

Oct 14, 2015, 9:21 AM

every 1 sec.

Thanks, thats pretty decent.

And this will be for the full suite of measuring points available for display i.e. none turned off?

BicyclePower

Oct 14, 2015, 9:23 AM

every 1 sec.

So ALL powertap product will send data to head unit every 1sec however the smoothing fact you put on your head unit will not effect the battery life of the power meter. the new 5GHz caps that PowerTap is working on will mean that even more data is send in shorter durations of times however for the vast majority of users (99.9%) a 1sec transfer rate is good enough.

BicyclePower

Oct 14, 2015, 9:25 AM

Thanks, thats pretty decent.

And this will be for the full suite of measuring points available for display i.e. none turned off?

This is where the 5GHz transfer rate come in, i believe the P1's and C1's already have this built it, it just need to be turned on and this will happen in the coming updates. this is also where the active spin scan will be available. so the hardware is already built in its just a case of turning it on. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment