Tech

Review: Pyga OneForty650 Pascoe

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 47 comments

Pyga Bikes have managed to capture the imagination of many local mountain bikers. Look no further than the Post your Pyga topic for evidence of this. With it’s promises of burley performance and all day comfort, the OneForty650 Pascoe is a crowd favourite.

Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 1.jpg

The Bike

The OneForty650 Pacoe is an aluminium 140mm big trail bike which supports forks between 140mm and 160mm and rolls on 650b wheels. Our test bike is the Mark 2 frame, Pyga don’t do year models, instead they do incremental changes between batches. The updated frame sees the head angle slacken slightly to 66.5 degrees with a 160mm fork. Pyga also modified the tubing, the head tube, top tube and seat tube are all redesigned. Chainstays remain suitably short for a bike that’s intended to excite on the descents at 431mm.

Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 3.jpg

The suspension is a float design meaning that the shock is held in position between the top rocker and the extended chain stays without being fixed directly to the front triangle. The float setup offers better tuning through the shocks travel. The main pivot is low, just above the chain line, to assist with pedalling efficiency.

The aesthetically motivated may be disappointed to see external cable routing but those working on the bike will be pleased. There is routing through the seat tube for a stealth dropper post. The rear wheel fits into a Syntace X-12 axle and there is provision for ISCG-05 bash guards and chain guides.

Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 21.jpg

The Build

Fork: The RockShox Pike has been the go to trail and all mountain fork for a few years now. On the Pascoe, the Pike worked just as well as it does on any other bike. A solid dependable specification choice.

Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 6.jpg
Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 4.jpg

Shock: Like the Pike, the RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair proved more than up to the task on the OneForty650 Pacoe. It is silky smooth and ramps up when needed.

Drivetrain: The drivetrain on our test bike was a combination of SRAM X01 and X1 components. The X01 cranks were solid, especially after taking somewhat of a beating under my piloting, while the gears didn’t miss a beat. A setup I’d be glad to ride on any trail bike.

Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 12.jpg
Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 9.jpg

Chainring: Our test OneForty650 Pascoe arrived with cSixx’s thick-thin oval chainring and Super Single chain guide. I noticed no differences with the elliptical shape compared to a round chainring. The idea behind it on a bike like the Pascoe is to assist with a smoother transition of power assisting with maintaining traction on technical or steep sections. While the OneForty650 Pascoe was composed in the rough stuff, I’d struggle to say whether the chainring was a contributing factor.

Retention device: cSixx’s Super Single chain guide chain guide attached to the ISCG-05 tabs. The chain guide served its purpose and kept the chain in place throughout our testing which included the infamously rocky Eselfontein Enduro.

Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 10.jpg
Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 19.jpg

Brakes: The SRAM Guide RS brakes provide good stopping power when needed with good feedback and control. I’ve only had good experiences with the Guide range of brakes.

Wheelset: The Spank Oozy Trail wheelset proved to be up to the task providing no hassles. While current trends demand wide wheelsets with extra wide widths, I felt the Oozy Trail’s 25mm internal diameter was sufficient.

Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 17.jpg
Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 18.jpg

Tyres: The Onza Ibex tyres provides plenty of grip and can soak up a beating. A good choice for this style of bike.

Cockpit: Short stem, wide bars is how I like a mountain bike cockpit to be set up. The OneForty650 Pascoe obliges with sturdy Kore components. The saddle is also Kore and was attached to the bike via a faultless RockShox Reverb Stealth adjustable seat post.

Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 7.jpg
Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 20.jpg

On the trail

Jumping on the bike for the mandatory car park test, the Pyga lacked that instantaneous fizz and front wheel pop feeling that makes you feel like Cédric Gracia. But taking the OneForty650 Pascoe down a mountain shows how poor initial judgements can be.

On the trails, the OneForty650 Pascoe is all about composure. The Pascoe feels supremely comfortable and stable on any trail and from this safe place it eggs you on to push yourself further and further to edge of your abilities.

Pyga OneForty650 Pascoe 2.jpg

The 140mm rear suspension feels much bigger than the numbers suggest. The RockShox Monarch shock and Pyga’s float suspension do a great job at feeling effortlessly smooth and bottomless without obliterating feedback from the trail. On a number of occasions, particularly after casing jumps, I had to stop and check that the bike had been using the full complement of travel. Each time it had. The extra travel on the 160mm Pike helped the bike feel balanced, matching the big hit capability of the rear suspension.

The handling was precise and predictable. The shortstays proved good at getting the rear wheel through turns with the rear suspension making sure of traction throughout. In the dry summer conditions, the Pascoe gripped very well in turns and felt best when I got forward, committing my weight over the front wheel.

Although the large sized bike was a bit short in the legs for me at 193 cm, the Pascoe felt roomy when out of the saddle and put me right in the centre of the bike.

Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 11.jpg
Pyga OneForty 140 Pascoe 5.jpg

The Pyga is more than happy to pump and flow on smoother trails but it’s in the rough stuff where it shines. The geometry and super capable rear suspension work together to get the rider through most situations. And it does so with speed. Even under hard braking the suspension remained as effective as ever.

On the climbs the OneForty650 Pascoe is no spring chicken and it feels a little chunky but with efficient pedalling it will get you to the top of the steepest climbs. It was a bit better on longer flat roads than I expect, being able to eat up distance without letting you know that it’d prefer to be facing downhill. Even though locking out the shock wasn’t entirely necessary, I found myself reaching for the lever on most sizeable climbs. The full ready to ride build (excluding pedals) weighed in at 13.1 kilograms.

Conclusion

The Pyga OneForty650 Pascoe is a fully fledged super trail bike. It shines on the descents, encouraging the rider to go big with its confidence inspiring feel. It will also get you to the top of climbs and out the other end of all day trail adventures. For those looking for a practical hard hitting trail bike, you won’t go wrong with a Pyga OneForty650 Pascoe.

Pricing

The Pascoe frameset which includes a Monarch Debonair shock, Syntace X12 axle and seatclamp retails for R23,900.

Pyga also offered a full build kit. We had the X1/X01 build for testing which goes for R58,000. However, due to exchange rates, moving forward Pyga will be offering the Pascoe with a SRAM GX build (including dropper post) at R63,950. Full specifications of both bikes are listed below.

Full Bike X01/X1 (as tested) Specifications:

• Rear ShockRockshok Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair
  • ForkRockShox Pike RCT3 650b
  • BrakesSRAM Guide RS
  • Rear DeraileurSRAM X01
  • ShiftersSRAM X1
  • CranksetSRAM X01
  • Bottom BracketSRAM GXP Pressfit 92
  • CassetteSRAM XG 1150
  • ChainSRAM X1
  • WheelsetOozy Trail-275 Bead Bite 27
  • TyresOnza Ibex 275×2.25
  • HeadsetCanecreek CC ZS44/ZS56
  • HandlebarsKORE Mega 760, 31.8mm, 20mm rise
  • StemKORE Cubix 50mm
  • GripsKORE Ikon grips
  • SaddleKORE Frazer
  • SeatpostRockShox Reverb125 420

Full Bike GX1 Specifications:

• Rear ShockRockShox Monarch Plus RC3 Debonair
  • ForkRockShox Pike RCT3 650b
  • BrakesSRAM Guide RS
  • RotorsSRAM Rotor Centerline 180/160
  • Rear DeraileurSRAM GX 1x11spd Long Cage Black
  • ShiftersGX 11 SP Trigger Black
  • CranksetGX 1400 175 32T
  • Bottom BracketBB Pressfit MTB
  • CassetteXG 1150 10-42
  • ChainPC1130 11S
  • WheelsetSRAM Roam 40 27.5″
  • TyresOnza Ibex 27.5 60TPI
  • HeadsetCanecreek CC ZS44/ZS56
  • HandlebarsKORE Mega 760
  • StemKORE Aerox 50mm
  • GripsKORE Ikon grips
  • SaddleKORE Durox Saddle
  • SeatpostOCD 30.9
Tags: ,

Comments

Thermophage

Jan 18, 2016, 11:55 AM

Well I don't have one of these, but the OneTwenty....And man is it ever capable! 

Coming from the Spaz Enduro I was a little worried about its capabilities for going down...but those were unwarranted! :D

Pipsqueak

Jan 18, 2016, 12:06 PM

You got full rear travel out of a Pyga?  Unusual.

popcorn_skollie

Jan 18, 2016, 1:37 PM

Nice review Nick.

Now that you've ridden both the Pyga Poscoe and the Transition Patrol.

Which one did you like better?

rouxtjie

Jan 18, 2016, 1:43 PM

love mine...as you were

Slowbee

Jan 18, 2016, 2:03 PM

would this be suitable for say S2C, or Race to rhodes type long distance touring - or should one look more at the 120 ?

Thermophage

Jan 18, 2016, 2:06 PM

would this be suitable for say S2C, or Race to rhodes type long distance touring - or should one look more at the 120 ?

To be honest this is exactly the reason I got the OneTwenty...However, people have done Trans Baviaans on the Pascoe.

I think the OneTwenty may just climb ever so slightly better due to the different head angle.

Iwan Kemp

Jan 18, 2016, 2:13 PM

120 would be more suited. In fact 110 would be even better suited and the Stage will be the most suitedest

Slowbee

Jan 18, 2016, 2:28 PM

120 would be more suited. In fact 110 would be even better suited and the Stage will be the most suitedest

you recommend for doing a ride like the munga ?

rouxtjie

Jan 18, 2016, 3:09 PM

Eish slow one, look it's not impossible it just won't be ideal lol. It's not a marathon bike it plays better with endure / am rides and events. Suppose you can also do an endure event with a marathon bike...just won't be ideal

Slowbee

Jan 18, 2016, 3:17 PM

Eish slow one, look it's not impossible it just won't be ideal lol. It's not a marathon bike it plays better with endure / am rides and events. Suppose you can also do an endure event with a marathon bike...just won't be ideal

thanks Roux ... I'll wait with my questions till after 1 Feb 2016

rouxtjie

Jan 18, 2016, 3:17 PM

Anyone know where one get that retention device locally

Crow?

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Jan 18, 2016, 3:35 PM

Ive heard rumours of Chuck Norris getting full rear yravel on a Pyga, but they are rumours. And unconfirmed........

Thermophage

Jan 18, 2016, 3:56 PM

But to be honest as an all rounder "fun" do it all the 120 for me is best. I'm not not sold on any 29'rs yet except the Evil so far ;)

Jan 18, 2016, 4:17 PM

"Contentment" sums it up with this frame ;)

rouxtjie

Jan 18, 2016, 4:20 PM

"Contentment" sums it up with this frame ;)

Like this....you don't want for anything, and thank goodness since if I still had an itch, I wouldn't have been able scratch it thanks to our dear mr president.

Iwan Kemp

Jan 18, 2016, 4:21 PM

you recommend for doing a ride like the munga ?

110 if your budget is Alu, Stage or Stage 110 if your budget allows for carbon.

Iwan Kemp

Jan 18, 2016, 4:23 PM

Crow?

Try cSixx on sales@csixx.com or PM bibi for a cSixx or MRP option.

rouxtjie

Jan 18, 2016, 4:24 PM

Try cSixx on sales@csixx.com or PM bibi for a cSixx or MRP option.

Ta kraai.

Bibi will pm u in the morrow

Borriz

Jan 18, 2016, 11:54 PM

My objective view after a month on my 140. It climbs a lot better than stated in article. But doesn't like flat roads. Couldn't agree more on front wheel comment.

This bike eat single track like boarding school boys eat toast - very fast

So ito Munga - not recommended. S2C? Hell yes. Crater Cruise? Noway Jose. Basically find any race profile that goes up and down but not flat and the narrower the better

Ryanpmb

Jan 19, 2016, 3:29 AM

Definately the wrong tool for the job. I rode my 110 during J2C. It was fine but it wasn't ideal. For S2C it would be fine. I also rode my 110 during R2R. It worked well but, again, I probably won't do it again on this bike. PYGAs are heavy and don't make ideal marathon bikes. The 110 does a lot of things well but doesn't excel at any one thing either - bike of compromises really. The 140 now focuses on a more specific purpose, making it a great trail/ local enduro bike. But even less of a marathon/ endurance machine. If you're up for punishment - take it on R2R...

Nick

Jan 19, 2016, 4:19 AM

Nice review Nick.

Now that you've ridden both the Pyga Poscoe and the Transition Patrol.

Which one did you like better?

Tough one. I rode the Transition in a bike park in the Alps, so I had huge fun on it. Different ball game to the familiar Cape trails that I rode the Pyga on. But had I taken the Pascoe, I'm sure I would have had just as much fun.

Didn't John settle this debate last year? Surely your only choice is their carbon 650b hardtail. How else do you expect to win it?  ;)

Personally, within the Pyga range, I'd go with a OneTen for those events unless your pocket can stretch to one of the Stage bikes.

Crow?

There is also their website: http://www.csixx.co.za/collections/chainguides

My objective view after a month on my 140. It climbs a lot better than stated in article. But doesn't like flat roads. Couldn't agree more on front wheel comment.

This bike eat single track like boarding school boys eat toast - very fast

So ito Munga - not recommended. S2C? Hell yes. Crater Cruise? Noway Jose. Basically find any race profile that goes up and down but not flat and the narrower the better

Thanks for the comment. It's good to get another perspective.

Perhaps I was having a good day when I tested it out on the flats.

rouxtjie

Jan 19, 2016, 4:59 AM

thanks for the link... :thumbup:

I think Ryan's summary is spot on. There is compromise with the bike...even if you build it with top spec component. It will never hang with marathon bikes on the ups nevermind the flats. But what you give up you get back with compound interest on the downs and singletrack. 

NickGM

Jan 19, 2016, 5:25 AM

I think this review got it spot on. I have a pascoe and before that was riding a decent alu hardtail 29er. My climbing is noticeably slower on the pascoe but it's not unexpected; the bike is a bit heavier, the smaller wheels don't roll as well, and a bit of energy is lost in "pedalbob". It's also not comparing apples with apples. So would it climb slower than another 650B full-sus alu bike with 140-160mm travel? I have no idea, but I hope not. 

Going downhill it inspires confidence and is shedloads of fun. And this is why I bought it. I am by far the limiting factor of the two of us. A more skilled rider could do so much more with this bike but I'd rather run out of talent than run out of bike. All things that were a hindrance going uphill are an asset going down. 

On a side note, it was also nice to read a bike review on Bikehub that was not constant gushing. Many of the others I'd read were all like "This bike is so flippin awesome, etc". 

MarcBurger

Jan 19, 2016, 5:29 AM

If I'm not mistaken, one of the top solo riders in the Joberg2C was on a Pascoe.

Can't find the link right now.

But yes, open fast flat roads you need to work a little harder. Probably because you're not allowed to put fast track or any semi-slick tyres on a Pascoe. Full of no.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment