Tech

Review: Rudy Project Traylx

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 9 comments

Rudy Project’s Traylx are the Italian company’s newest addition, having first emerged late in 2015. These sports focussed sunglasses are designed for superior comfort, efficient heat dissipation, and maximum safety all with high quality optics.

I’ve been riding this test pair of Traylx sunglasses for close on a year. They feature Rudy Project’s “unbreakable” photochromic lenses. The ImpactX 2 lenses have photochromic particles embedded in the lense itself, said to be superior to other photochromic options which simply use a film over the lense. The ImpactX 2 black lense, in our test model, is an all-rounder lense offering good performance in a variety of light conditions.

Rudy Project Traylx-1.jpg

Rudy Project Traylx-2.jpg
Rudy Project Traylx-3.jpg
  • FrameTralyx Crystal Gloss Orange Fluo
  • LenseImpact X 2 Black
  • Retail priceR 4,490.00 As tested (Starting at R 2,990.00 standard lense)

Thanks to their light weight, at just 28 grams, and the super comfortable contact points, the Traylx are hardly noticeable when worn. So much so that I was concerned about how easily they may slip off on a bumpy trail or in windy conditions. The grippy ear and nose pieces work well to cling on to your head though, with little, if any, movement even in harsh conditions.

Rudy Project Traylx-4.jpg

The nosepiece is fully adjustable, allowing you to fine tune the fit to your unique features. The tips of the arms are also adjustable via a steel core running along half their length with the remaining material soft and flexible. This allows for even more adjustability and results in an incredibly comfortable fit around the ears with no pressure points.

Rudy Project Traylx-15.jpg

Rudy Project Traylx-11.jpg
Rudy Project Traylx-13.jpg

A key selling point of the Traylx is the venting and heat dissipation features. The frame has subtle vents above the eye line with larger air “intakes” in the temple region. The lense also features small vents on each of the lower outer edges. While moving, this system is very effective in eliminating lense fog, but when coming to a standstill they tend to mist up quickly, especially in the cold winter air. As soon as you are on the move again, the lenses quickly clear up, and in warmer weather it’s not a problem.

Rudy Project Traylx-9.jpg
Rudy Project Traylx-10.jpg

On the off chance you are unfamiliar with the technology, photochromic lenses automagically adapt to match the light conditions, going darker in full sun and lighter to fully transparent in low light. Perfect for early morning rides from dark to light or trails dipping in and out of shade. The lenses do take a little time to adapt though, and quick transitions from full sun to full shade still require a moment for your eyes, and the lenses, to adjust.

The lenses themselves provide exceptional clarity with a neutral tone and natural colours. The shape of the lenses and overall design creates a wrap-around feel with no obstructions to your field of view. The only noticeable element for me was the bright orange nose piece, but this can be swopped out for something more subtle. The lenses are said to provide protection from solid objects (stones, etc.), although the only objects we encountered during testing were bugs of various sizes. The lenses are also designed to be flexible, minimizing the potential for injury in a crash.

Rudy Project Traylx-16.jpg

Verdict

The Rudy Project Traylx are a high performing and great looking set of cycling sunglasses. The adjustability in the nose and ear pieces allow for a custom fit and incredible comfort. The attention to detail in the design and “Made in Italy” stamp do come at a premium price though, but if comfort is high up on your feature list these might be worth the spend.

Comments

Albatross

Aug 2, 2016, 9:44 AM

mmmm new sunnies or new dropper ? The mind boggles

Pure Savage

Aug 2, 2016, 9:58 AM

I find my pair dont stay in place

Matt

Aug 2, 2016, 10:28 AM

I guess this may vary quite significantly from person to person based on your physical features.

I've found with the noise piece a bit tighter they're most secure, if it's loose and the shades are pushed right up to the top of my nose there is some bouncing.

BDF

Aug 2, 2016, 11:00 AM

I need prescription lenses and they told me they cannot do thaty in these lenses. Oh well, Oakley can so I stay with them!

'Dale

Aug 2, 2016, 11:40 AM

Yip

It's my least used sonbrille

J∆kk∆ls

Aug 2, 2016, 1:13 PM

Rudy P for the win. My only gripe is the transparent frame. 

Thinus155

Aug 3, 2016, 6:58 PM

I find mine great!

Oakley360

Aug 3, 2016, 8:06 PM

Have 2 pairs and wear them every single day from morning to nite.... and I love them!

Garry64

Aug 3, 2016, 9:02 PM

Love mine too and wear them on every ride. Very comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Add a comment

You must log in to comment