Tech

Review: SDG Circuit Mountain Ti-alloy saddle

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 4 comments

Saddle choice is highly subjective and personal making it tough to give a verdict. On a bicycle you can make changes and adjustments to get it to your liking, but a saddle either works or it doesn’t.

Sporting a long feature list, the SDG Circuit Mountain is at the cutting edge of saddle design and manufacturing.

ccs-62657-0-27681500-1429191916.jpg
ccs-62657-0-76721800-1429191925.jpg

On the Trail

I have always been a fan of low profile saddles with a wider dropped nose, minimal (but some) padding. The surface must be durable and easy to keep clean but not slippery. The SDG Circuit meets my requirements perfectly.

The wider, dropped nose of the Circuit serves two purposes. First, the width reduces the pressure point out front . Second, the slight drop makes sitting on the tip of the saddle a little more forgiving – especially when moving forward on technical climbs to help keep the front wheel down.

ccs-62657-0-21153500-1429191903.jpg

Even with it’s low profile and lightweight build, the Circuit is very comfortable with the pressure-relieving channel on top and the base cutaway underneath. Hanging out behind the saddle is made easy by the flat and rounded rear.

The synthetic cover with kevlar side panels shows little sign of wear after several months of use. It also helps to keep the saddle clean and looking sharp.

Conclusion

Most riders tend to stick to a particular saddle once they find something that works. But if you like a low profile race saddle, the SDG Circuit is worth breaking from tradition and trying out.

ccs-62657-0-25733100-1429191910.jpg
ccs-62657-0-86881100-1429192307.jpg

I’ve tried many saddles of this nature and the SDG Circuit has proven to be the most comfortable on longer rides. Throw in the huge selection of candy colours to match your bike and you have a winner here.

Specifications

• Under Cut Base // Cut-Out – Base cut out reduces pressure and softens the ride
  • Base Bridge – Bridge design for maximum stiffness and ultimate power transfer
  • Weight: 220g (Carbon rail model weighs 165g)
  • Dimensions: 280mm x 135mm
  • Optimal Rideable Area (ORA) : (90 – 130): Small – Medium
  • Disciplines: Mtn (XC, Trail, Enduro) & CX
  • Black Microfiber Top w/ Black Kevlar Sides, *Black Embossed graphics*or Yellow, Lime, Cyan, & Orange Embossed Graphics
  • RRP: R1,440

From the manufacturer:

The Circuits are Stiff, Light, Acceleration Kings! Originally designed with competitive road teams, the Circuit platform has evolved, now extending to multiple models and disciplines. The Circuit Carbon Fiber is the road animal and the new Circuit Mountain (MTN) is developed with Kevlar radness and used by world class DH’ers and Enduro riders alike.

Every base in the family are injected with Nylon Glass Fiber which provide optimal weight and strength savings and constructed with a dominate Base Bridge. This bridge allows for ultimate stiffness, resulting in superior power transfer with each pedal stroke. To combat the structural firmness, each Circuit incorporates a Light-Weight EVA foam.

The Circuit defined with a full channel Cut-Out relief and sealed with a base gasket and 1pc. Seamless stitched cover. The MTN delivers relief as a hidden Under-Cut and assembled with a dual panel, double stitched cover. Both use a durable Microfiber material top and the MTN is constructed with bulletproof Kevlar side panels. Ultimately, both deliver a performance tool across all disciplines.

Comments

J∆kk∆ls

Apr 21, 2015, 6:16 AM

Very nice, I'd like one in orange please!

ChigginLeg

Apr 21, 2015, 6:42 AM

Where do you get these in SA - had a BelAir which was the bomb.

Apr 21, 2015, 6:51 AM

A-Line.co.za

Call Phia

Headshot

Apr 21, 2015, 9:31 AM

SDG make brilliant saddles but that price is just insane - another bike industry rip off. I'll stick to my lightish, wide nosed cromo railed Spesh Phenom Gel I picked up on sale for R250. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment