Tech

Specialized S-Works Venge ViAS Disc eTap review

Written by Iwan Kemp.

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Specialized launched the disc brake version of the Venge ViAS in 2017. A year after the rim brake version despite the ViAS being designed to be a disc brake bicycle but with the indecision from the UCI, Specialized was forced to release a rim brake version first in 2016.

ccs-62657-0-00662500-1519489432.jpg

Specification

• FRAMES-Works FACT 11r carbon, Rider-First Engineered, Win Tunnel Engineered, internal cable routing, 12x142mm thru-axle, carbon OSBB, flat disc mount
  • FORKS-Works FACT 11r carbon, full monocoque
  • CHAINSRAM Red 22
  • BOTTOM BRACKETSRAM BB30, 68mm
  • CRANKSETSRAM Red 22, BB30
  • SHIFT LEVERSSRAM eTap disc
  • CASSETTESRAM Red 22, 11-28t
  • FRONT DERAILLEURSRAM eTap, Braze-on, wireless
  • CHAINRINGS52/36T
  • REAR DERAILLEURSRAM eTap
  • SADDLES-Works Power, 143mm, carbon rails, carbon base, synthetic leather
  • TAPES-Wrap w/ Sticky gel
  • SEATPOSTSpecialized Venge Aero seatpost, FACT carbon
  • STEMVenge ViAS aero
  • REAR WHEELRoval CLX 64 Disc rim, Roval AFD2, Centerlock, CeramicSpeed bearings, DT Swiss 240 internals, 11-speed, 12x142mm thru-axle, 24h
  • FRONT WHEELRoval CLX 64 Disc rim, Roval AFD1, Centerlock, CeramicSpeed bearings, 21h
  • TYRESTurbo Cotton, 700x26mm, 320 TPI
  • WEIGHT7.85 kg
  • RETAIL PRICER145,000

ccs-62657-0-44798500-1519495540.jpg

A close look at the frame quickly reveals the level of attention to detail that Specialized has put into the Venge ViAS frame. Both the seat tube and down tubes curve around the rear and front wheels respectively, with the down tube taking a deep truncated aero shape. It does not stop there with detailed tube profiling found in the skinny chain and seat stays as well. A teardrop shaped seatpost is used which gets locked in place by an internal seat clamp hidden in the top tube. All cables are routed internally straight from the shifter hoods into the handlebar and stem before making their way down the frame and fork, only appearing again near the disc brake calipers. As SRAM’s eTap gear system is fully wireless, there are no wires leading from the shifters to the derailleurs.

ccs-62657-0-78803000-1519495147.jpg
ccs-62657-0-49103900-1519495149.jpg

Specialized developed the Aerofly handlebar with a negative 17-degree stem, as their testing found this to be the optimal aerodynamic profile. To counter this aggressive position the standard Aerofly handlebar features a 25mm rise (there is a flat option too for the very agile among us) which gives it a winged-shape. A further clue to the aero gains is the trailing edge of the stem and headset spacers which are shaped to best deal with wake or “dirty” air coming off the front of the bar. Due to the shape and level of integration, the Aerofly bar comes with an integrated Garmin mount that has a more positive click into place feel than the stock Garmin mount and K-Edge mounts I have been using and comes with some fore-aft adjustment to fine-tune the placement of your device. Specialized claim that the Aerofly handlebar is up to 20 seconds faster at 40kph over 40km than a regular round bar.

ccs-62657-0-88038400-1519495171.jpg

ccs-62657-0-69696300-1519495367.jpg
ccs-62657-0-87375100-1519495365.jpg
ccs-62657-0-12405500-1519495243.jpg

As one would expect from the range-topping S-Works model, the bike comes standard with the best of the best. The 64 mm carbon clincher Roval wheels come standard on the top models in the range with the two S-Works variants getting the latest CLX wheels compared to the Pro Disc model’s CL. Rim width on the CLX64 is a healthy 20.7mm internal / 29.9mm external with the wheelset weighing in at a claimed 1,615 grams (735g front, 880g rear). Maximum tyre clearance is set at 28 mm which is great considering that this is an all-out racer.

The R&D team at Specialized has its own wind tunnel which they used to develop the shape of the Venge and wheels. Over a two year development period, 80 variations in rim design and with 300 hours studying tyre and frame interactions, they settled on the 64 mm depth, as they found it to be more aerodynamic with better handling than some 80mm+ wheels. The disc Venge makes use of thru-axles front and rear for maximum stiffness under load and is also convenient to use in real life. Quick release axles be gone! To top it all off, the rims are tubeless ready enabling you to run tubeless tyres for extra puncture protection.

ccs-62657-0-84750000-1519495762.jpg
ccs-62657-0-12095900-1519495503.jpg

The drivetrain is an all SRAM affair with a Quarq power meter (dressed in Specialized’s S-Works Fact Carbon cranks) powering the SRAM Red eTap drivetrain with stopping power coming from SRAM’s hydraulic road disc brakes (HRD). We’ve already reviewed SRAM’s Red eTap and Quarq power meter and won’t go into too much detail here other than saying that my experience on the Venge ViAS echoes that of the review done in 2017. What I can add for those worried about batteries on a bike is that I am yet to get stuck next to the road with no power. Paired with my Garmin, I have received a low battery warning once or twice, but always in time to charge them before they completely ran out of juice.

The finishing kit is of the same high standard as everywhere else on the bike with an S-Works Power being the saddle of choice and the bottle cage coming out of the box with a SWAT EMT Cage Mount Road Tool.

Looks are very subjective and not something we comment on often, in this case, it is worth a mention though. For the first time ever, I had people slowing down to drive just a bit behind me when passing to check out the bike on my car’s bike rack. I had a runner shouting “nice bike” when I cycled passed him, my neighbour asked for a picture to send to his riding buddies, and I had a small crowd of people gather when I photographed the bike at Struisbaai Harbour. The clean lines, sculpted tubes, space-age looking handlebar, deep wheels, and lack of cables make for a very good looking bike.

Set Up

The purchase price includes a bike fit to find the best set up which includes cutting the steerer to the ideal height to suit the buyer. As this was a review bike, I rode it with the steerer uncut. For reference, I am 179cm with a 77cm saddle height and the seat post was at maximum extension on the size 54 as tested. Something to keep in mind when shopping. The bike I rode came with Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28C tyres which are a more all-round tyre compared to the 700x26mm Turbo Cotton the bike comes standard with. The Roubaix added some much-needed puncture protection against our glass-strewn roads and a level of comfort thanks to the wider profile.

On the Bike

What we have here is a full carbon road bike that is aero and runs on tubeless carbon wheels, comes with hydraulic disc brakes, wireless shifting, a power meter and levels of integration not fathomable only a couple of years ago. Marty McFly may have predicted flying cars, but I’m sure he would never have predicted all of that on a road bike. I can’t even begin to imagine what road bikes will look like 10 years from now.

The big story here though is the disc brakes. Braking tests showed between 66% to 75% improvement in braking power under best case scenario circumstances over rim brakes. The difference will jump significantly in adverse weather conditions as the rim brakes will suffer more when it is wet and slippery. For reference, both bikes were running eTap and Roubaix tyres and I did several runs with each bike back-to-back. (A vehicle was used to shuttle the bikes and me back to the top). Even though I was blown away by how controlled and effective the braking was after each run, I thought there could be more and it took several runs on the disc brake equipped bike before I felt I was nearing the grip limit of the tyres. And with each of those runs, the braking distance between the rim brake and disc brake bike grew. It would be nice to test the brakes (and bike) in the Alps, but on the hottest of Cape Winelands summer days, there were no signs of heat build-up and the subsequent brake fade that goes with it on the Venge ViAS.

ccs-62657-0-18336200-1519495554.jpg
ccs-62657-0-15991400-1519495556.jpg

SRAM’s HRD brakes are thankfully not on and off. Modulation is very good and there are no nasty surprises on the first ride. The lever feel is also good with positive feedback on the braking limit which allowed me to let the bike run free for longer before reigning it in to rail around corners. Add the grip of the tyres and the point and shoot nature of the stiff frame and you have a fun factor which motivates you to push even harder and enjoy the speed at which the Venge ViAS is happy to descent.

The overall feel of the ride is in the ballpark for an aero bike – not early days harsh and unforgiving, but no silky ride either. Feedback is direct with the combination of a stiff frame, thru axles, and the Aerofly handlebar all contributing to the sensation of speed. The first time that I stood up to hammer the pedals, I was genuinely taken by surprise by just how stiff the bike is. There is absolutely no comparison with any bike I have ridden before this one.

Although the comparative stats Specialized claims is for gains at 40km/h (116-second advantage compared to the Tarmac over 40km), there is no doubt that the aero advantages kick in earlier and that the bike is faster from slower. There is a genuine sense of speed and free watts from around 20 to 25km/h; push it beyond that and the smiles for miles kick in. To confirm that it wasn’t just the Kool-Aid, I did several back-to-back runs with my Venge Elite to see what the computer (speed, power, and heart rate) says and time after time it showed the Venge ViAS was faster for less effort. It is remarkable how well the bike holds speed and manages a high average speed without having to burn your lungs. In short, it eats PB’s for breakfast.

What I did miss was the snap of a superlight bike at very low speeds. My Venge Elite saves 600g of which 300g is in the wheels and at lower speeds, there is a sense of immediacy that the ViAS with its deep section wheels lacks, but to be fair I’m talking sub 10-15 km/h here and the Venge ViAS won’t see numbers that low very often. I reckon even standing still the ViAS does more than 15km/h!

ccs-62657-0-09025000-1519495629.jpg

I found the Aerofly handlebar to be very comfortable in all positions. The reach to the hoods spot on and the flat top was just the right size for my hands. As one would expect it is every bit as stiff as it needs to be, but does an excellent job of keeping road vibrations to an absolute minimum. The S-Wrap bar tape is on the thin side but was still very comfortable. Even wearing no gloves on longer rides I never felt the need to wear gloves for extra cushioning.

The wheels were predictable but not sidewind proof and it would be good to try Specialized’s CLX50’s for riding around in and around Cape Town during the windy months. Although, that is only when the wind is hitting you from the side. Head into the wind and the wheels cut through the air like a hot knife through butter. Catch the wind from behind and you will think you’re on an e-bike with no governor.

I feel it is worth mentioning that on this all-out racer the S-Works Power saddle with its minimal padding and carbon rails was still comfortable.

ccs-62657-0-21401000-1519495631.jpg

Verdict

If you skipped straight to the verdict to see whether this bike is fast, then I’m happy to say “yes” and I say that without a doubt. I can’t remember spending time on a road bike that is this rewarding to ride. Other than actually being fast, it feels fast – on straights and through the twisties. It is the sheer sense of speed that motivated me to push harder myself and give maximum effort at every turn and after having sampled a disc equipped road bike for a couple of months, there is no way I will be spending my own money on anything other ever again. It is that good.

However, for this bike to flourish under the correct rider and in the appropriate start group, it needs that stamp of approval from the governing body. At the sharp end of the pack, disc brakes will reward the last of the late brakers and have the potential to push up average speeds on descents as braking distances will reduce and riders will be able to carry speed for longer. The Venge ViAS will reward Joe Average too, so if you’re shopping in this price bracket the S-Works Venge ViAS is definitely worth looking at.

Specialized set out to build the fastest road bike based on what they know today working within the limits of the UCI. There are no compromises or middle ground, no meeting you halfway. A pure racer specced with the best of the best. That it is a piece of art is an added bonus.

Pros

• It is fast. Very, very fast
  • Disc brakes are the real deal. Excellent stopping power with great control
  • The latest, greatest tech in road cycling found on one bike with clever integration
  • Great specification (comes standard with a power meter)
  • Bar maybe the colour of the Di2 version, this is the one to go for

Cons

• Bit of a firm ride
  • CLX32’s will cope better with side winds

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment