Events

Adverse analytical finding – in competition test

· By Press Office · 153 comments

Cycling South Africa reports that veteran cyclist Joe van der Westhuizen returned an adverse analytical finding in an in-competition test conducted by the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS) on 4 October 2014 at the Engen Cycle in the City Race.

The analytical report confirmed the presence of the Anabolic Agent, Clenbuterol as well as the Glucocorticosteroid, Prednisone and its metabolite Prednisolone in his urine sample.

Mr. Van der Westhuizen waived his right to a hearing and has been found guilty by SAIDS. He received a two-year ban from all sport effective from 4 October 2014 to 3 October 2016.

Cycling South Africa respects the independence of the SAIDS process and respects the outcome. Cycling SA further reiterates its zero-tolerance approach to doping in sport and will continue working with SAIDS in the promotion of a drug-free sport via its awareness programmes and extensive testing.

All cyclists are urged to avail themselves of all the resources available to them to ensure a drug-free career in sport. In addition, all cyclists are advised to exercise extreme caution at all times with regards to any food and/or medical products they may come into contact with.

Comments

Jaco-fiets

Mar 26, 2015, 8:14 AM

Joe who?

sometime

Mar 26, 2015, 8:16 AM

Good to see them catching one of the many vet racers 'competing' at the sharp end of vets racing who are juiced up. Keep it up SAIDS - test more of the vets riders and I can guarantee you many more positive results.

Andrew Steer

Mar 26, 2015, 8:17 AM

Joe who?

Average Joe  :whistling:

NotSoBigBen

Mar 26, 2015, 8:20 AM

post-271-0-18609800-1427358021_thumb.jpeg

'Dale

Mar 26, 2015, 8:21 AM

Lekka man lekka

koukie

Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 AM

What was his result in the race?

Bayboy

Mar 26, 2015, 8:29 AM

just a pity that they are not naming all offenders

sometime

Mar 26, 2015, 8:29 AM

No idea on this race but he is a podium contender in vets racing

gummibear

Mar 26, 2015, 8:34 AM

Joe who?

Joe ma......

Zeffer

Mar 26, 2015, 8:35 AM

Take back his goody bag!!!!!!

Andrew Steer

Mar 26, 2015, 8:37 AM

No idea on this race but he is a podium contender in vets racing

Yip, and lots of male tandem wins

gummibear

Mar 26, 2015, 8:38 AM

Better test his partner to then :whistling:  :ph34r:

Frosty

Mar 26, 2015, 8:40 AM

Regarding this statement:

all cyclists are advised to exercise extreme caution at all times with regards to any food and/or medical products they may come into contact with.

Should I ever by summoned to pee in a koppie, subconsciously I have no fear - my diet is not exactly the best around but I try stay away from processed stuff, don't use any supplements, use water only in my bottles.

BUT - I wonder if there IS anything illegal in day-to-day foods. Why would there be? Growth hormones in animal feeds and GMO used in foods to sustain the hungry world - the life cycle of food is getting shorter and shorter every day.

Coffee is getting cold - time to focus on positive matters.

Pants Boy

Mar 26, 2015, 8:40 AM

Queue the 'semi-pros' shouting about not testing 'amateurs'

Spinnekop

Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 AM

Think it was the Pretoria Engen Crit, yes? 

He came third and won one of the Hotspots. 

Think he got about a grand or two?  Can't remember.....

gummibear

Mar 26, 2015, 8:53 AM

Think he got about a grand or two?  Can't remember.....

It's about the bragging rights and not the cash with the vets.

Jaco-fiets

Mar 26, 2015, 9:03 AM

just a pity that they are not naming all offenders

Thought it is std procedure to make all names public?

Wyatt Earp

Mar 26, 2015, 9:07 AM

Joe who?

Better be careful, sarcasm is not allowed .

Good to see them catching one of the many vet racers 'competing' at the sharp end of vets racing who are juiced up.

:thumbup:

Long Wheel Base

Mar 26, 2015, 9:25 AM

Yip, Happens to be an ex sa champ. Think it was about 3 years ago he won. BUT he is no longer riding with the guy he won with.

RocknRolla

Mar 26, 2015, 9:26 AM

Joe who?

Joe...he did some blow

but now he has no results to show

arme ou - Regtig nou?

Wez-O

Mar 26, 2015, 9:29 AM

Cycling South Africa reports that veteran cyclist Joe van der Westhuizen returned an adverse analytical finding in an in-competition test conducted by the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS) on 4 October 2014 at the Engen Cycle in the City Race.

Click here to view the article

Hectic! As someone who has raced against Joe on many occasions over the last year or so, I actually don't know what to say  :wacko:

EmptyB

Mar 26, 2015, 9:32 AM

Joe must be joking..........

nonky

Mar 26, 2015, 9:35 AM

that just sounds DODGY - "male tandem", WTF?
davem

Mar 26, 2015, 9:39 AM

"The analytical report confirmed the presence of the Anabolic Agent, Clenbuterol as well as the Glucocorticosteroid, Prednisone and its metabolite Prednisolone"

That is no small amount of serious drugs which got there on purpose.

This is the sort of cheating that is deliberate and devious and deserves a life time ban from racing. By this I mean a racing licence. I have no problem with a banned doper returning to UNseeded funriding after a few years.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment