Events

Anti-doping rule violation for top track cyclist: In-competition Test

· By Press Office · 86 comments

Cycling South Africa reports that Maroesjka Matthee has been found guilty of an anti-doping rule violation after an in-competition test conducted on 8 August 2016 confirmed the presence of Pseudoephedrine.

The SAIDS Independent Doping Hearing Panel imposed a period of ineligibility of one year, commencing on 02 October 2016. Ms. Matthee is therefore suspended and prohibited from competing and administering in the sport of Cycling as well as in any other sport in South Africa and Internationally from 2 October 2016 – 1 October 2017. This decision may be appealed by Ms. Matthee, the UCI and SAIDS.

Cycling South Africa respects the independence of the SAIDS process and will respect the outcome. Cycling SA further reiterates its zero-tolerance approach to doping in sport and will continue working with SAIDS in the promotion of a drug-free sport via its awareness and extensive testing programmes.

Comments

Skubarra

Nov 14, 2016, 7:06 AM

Ag no, what a waste :(  :(  :(

Was wondering why she was a no show at Killarney & local WC races lately..

deanbean

Nov 14, 2016, 7:09 AM

Oh no Fire, not cool

Reg Lizard

Nov 14, 2016, 7:13 AM

Ai...

shaper

Nov 14, 2016, 7:24 AM

I see it has been back on the WADA list since 2010 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoephedrine

What benefits will a nasal decongestant have?... used as a stimulant?

TALUS

Nov 14, 2016, 7:27 AM

I see it has been back on the WADA list since 2010 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoephedrine

What benefits will a nasal decongestant have?... used as a stimulant?

Jip
VeloRacer

Nov 14, 2016, 7:37 AM

That substance is almost found in any medication even off the shelf Vicks Medinite

Thornman

Nov 14, 2016, 7:47 AM

Think before you guys judge her read what she has to say about it.

She went to to pharmacy for Sinustat, they did not have stock. The pharmacist gave her Actifed and said it's almost the same thing.

Wil6

Nov 14, 2016, 7:48 AM

That substance is almost found in any medication even off the shelf Vicks Medinite

But is it not a pro cyclists obligation to know that?

Andrew Steer

Nov 14, 2016, 7:51 AM

Very sad

Sharkie 2

Nov 14, 2016, 7:52 AM

Guys do not judge before all the facts are known and do not draw nor make up conclusions. She has the right to appeal it let the process run its course.

For interest sake Coryx also has a substance in that we test yoy as positive in a window period of two days after consumption, how many of you use it for a cold?

Ofaniy

Nov 14, 2016, 7:53 AM

She went to to pharmacy for Sinustat, they did not have stock. The pharmacist gave her Actifed and said it's almost the same thing.

I feel for her. Unfortunately it happens too often, pro athletes should check their meds.

Ofaniy

Nov 14, 2016, 7:54 AM

But is it not a pro cyclists obligation to know that?

Don't think they should know every substance, but yes for any pro athlete, it is at least their obligation to check

Thornman

Nov 14, 2016, 7:54 AM

Here is a shocker, Beroca Boost is also illegal.

Wonder how many people knew that

Ofaniy

Nov 14, 2016, 7:56 AM

Here is a shocker, Beroca Boost is also illegal.

Wonder how many people knew that

ha ha, seriously? What is in it that makes it illegal?

Icycling

Nov 14, 2016, 7:57 AM

I made a comment in another track - Another Adverse Analytical finding page 8 - this is an example off the controllers failing the sport in my opinion.

Pseudoephedrine has been on and off the banned list too many times and is way to easy to get even at your Local PnP.

Here is what Drug free sport says on it website which is rather vague as to how long it may last in your system / half life.

PSEUDOEPHEDRINE (iso-ephedrine) Category: PROHIBITED in-competition only
Last Upated: Mon, 19 Sep 2016
Information
Prohibited substance: PSEUDOEPHEDRINE - refer to section S6 (Stimulants) of the WADA 2016 Prohibited List.

Clarifying information (WADA):
- The established threshold levels may be reached by some individuals within 6-20 hours of intake of some formulations.
- Advise athletes to stop taking pills at least 24 hours before competition.
For therapeutic applications during the In-Competition period, consider the use of alternative permitted medications upon previous consultation with a physician, or apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) for the use of pseudoephedrine for therapeutic purpose(s).
Find out more and Search on wikipedia

Wil6

Nov 14, 2016, 7:57 AM

ha ha, seriously? What is in it that makes it illegal?

+1, is it not just a crap load of vitamins?

Wil6

Nov 14, 2016, 8:00 AM

I made a comment in another track - Another Adverse Analytical finding page 8 - this is an example off the controllers failing the sport in my opinion.

Pseudoephedrine has been on and off the banned list too many times and is way to easy to get even at your Local PnP.

Here is what Drug free sport says on it website which is rather vague as to how long it may last in your system / half life.

PSEUDOEPHEDRINE (iso-ephedrine) Category: PROHIBITED in-competition only

Last Upated: Mon, 19 Sep 2016

Information

Prohibited substance: PSEUDOEPHEDRINE - refer to section S6 (Stimulants) of the WADA 2016 Prohibited List.

Clarifying information (WADA):

- The established threshold levels may be reached by some individuals within 6-20 hours of intake of some formulations.

- Advise athletes to stop taking pills at least 24 hours before competition.

For therapeutic applications during the In-Competition period, consider the use of alternative permitted medications upon previous consultation with a physician, or apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) for the use of pseudoephedrine for therapeutic purpose(s).

Find out more and Search on wikipedia

From this, she had taken the "pills" in a 24hour period before the competition?

Thornman

Nov 14, 2016, 8:00 AM

Nope there is something in it that athletes use as a masking agent.

Wil6

Nov 14, 2016, 8:02 AM

Source?

Spinnekop

Nov 14, 2016, 8:04 AM

Unfortunately athletes should know their stuff.

When you have a cold, almost all medicine are banned IN competition.

So you do a little research here and there and figure out that the halflife of Pseudo is 6 hours and it takes 8 halflifes to get out of the system.

Thus 48 hours.

So if you have a cold and it does not get better 3 days before the event....cancel the event.

If you really really really want to do the event, stop drinking medicine 4 days prior. 

That is my research on Pseudo.......I might be wrong....

Icycling

Nov 14, 2016, 8:05 AM

This was my comment in the other track:

Is it a case of one size fits all with doping?

So you take EPO and lets say 9 other proper drugs easily detectable, but not easily to get, then Life time ban for sure.

But what about those banned substance you can buy (accidentally) possibly even at Pick ’n Pay - should these also be life time bans?

I just think the list of ban substances is way to long knowing that only a few have GREAT impact. The test need to test for these substances and not masking agents - the test designers need to do a better job, hopefully possible job.

What about artificial stimulating your environment  - like Altitude tents, sitting in sauna at gym, H2O therapy - or training in your bathroom (increased humidity and temp) for world champs (Tony Martin)?

Wil6

Nov 14, 2016, 8:09 AM

This was my comment in the other track:

Is it a case of one size fits all with doping?

So you take EPO and lets say 9 other proper drugs easily detectable, but not easily to get, then Life time ban for sure.

But what about those banned substance you can buy (accidentally) possibly even at Pick ’n Pay - should these also be life time bans?

I just think the list of ban substances is way to long knowing that only a few have GREAT impact. The test need to test for these substances and not masking agents - the test designers need to do a better job, hopefully possible job.

What about artificial stimulating your environment  - like Altitude tents, sitting in sauna at gym, H2O therapy - or training in your bathroom (increased humidity and temp) for world champs (Tony Martin)?

You've lost the plot with this statement

Pure Savage

Nov 14, 2016, 8:12 AM

This is a *** one. 

Patchelicious

Nov 14, 2016, 8:18 AM

And in about 10 seconds one can see if its on the naughty list.

http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/online-medication-check/

Edit: As an athlete, making the above link a bookmark in you browser is a must.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment