At Bike Hub HQ we kicked off the year with some fanfare following the launch of a brand new Classifieds platform in December last year. In 2020, despite some disruptions, we built on that momentum with improvements and updates across the platform, a new premium membership offering and most recently, a secure payment service.
Lockdown threw most riding plans out the window and all but a few events were postponed or cancelled. The mad dash for indoor trainers before lockdown was followed by a surge in demand for bicycles as people emerged from their homes looking for new (or old) ways to get around and stay active.
Here's a look back at 2020 on Bike Hub by the numbers.
Website Stats - Visitors
Despite a surge in demand and traffic for all things bicycle in the second half of 2020, the abrupt stall of hard lockdown is visible in our top line traffic numbers. From mid-may things crept up to normal and in the three months from June to August we hit consecutive record numbers.
South African User Split
International User Split
Website Activity - New Members
Section BreakdownBy pageviews
- Classifieds: 74.45%
- Forums: 13.93%
- Home: 9.69%
- News & Articles: 1.03%
- Stolen Bikes: 0.17%
- Events: 0.14%
Top 15 most searched bike brands
For the second year running, Specialized increased their lead in the share of brand searches by a percentage point, consolidating a formidable advantage over other brands. Giant stole the second spot on the podium from Scott as it gained a small margin. Trek gained close on a percentage point and claimed fourth spot from Cannondale who moved down to fifth.
1. Specialized - 23.42% (22.26%)
2. Giant - 10.30% (9.98%)
3. Scott - 10.11% (10.92%)
4. Trek - 8.15% (7.29%)
5. Cannondale - 8.09% (8.62%)
6. Santa Cruz - 4.50% (4.31%)
7. Merida - 3.95% (4.23%)
8. Bianchi - 3.59% (3.12%)
9. Pyga - 3.39% (3.08%)
10. Silverback - 2.53% (2.89%)
11. Titan - 2.39% (1.68%)
12. Momsen - 2.00% (2.12%)
13. Colnago - 1.57% (1.89%)
14. Canyon - 1.56% (1.45%)
15. Pinarello - 1.47% (1.32%)
(2019 figure listed in brackets)
Listings and Sales Figures
In years gone by we've reported impressive top line listings values, but with little insight into actual sales. We now have some visibility into sales thanks to new functionality, however as it is reliant upon user reported data its still likely an underrepresentation of the true number (likely 2-3x). Still, R152 million in confirmed sales for the year is a significant number.
Total Listings Value
R 625 379 674 + 22.3%
* This figure is based on user reported data and likely under-represents the true sales value. 33% of ads created in the period were actively reported by the seller as having been sold. A further 40% of ads were removed by the seller and 20% expired after 30 days without feedback from the seller.
** Average price difference compares the listed price to the user reported sale price.
Advert count by Location
Advert count by Category
Introducing Bike Hub Pay: Buyer & Seller ProtectionOn 30 November 2020 we announced the launch of our buyer and seller protection service Bike Hub Pay. Funds are held securely until the buyer receives the goods, offering peace of mind for buyers and expanding the buyer pool for sellers.
Website Activity - Top 20 Articles Published in 2020
- 2020 Cape Epic Cancelled
- Review: 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic Evo
- Review: 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic
- First Look: 2021 Cannondale Scalpel adds spring to its step
- Review: Trek Supercaliber 9.8
- First Ride: The Specialized Turbo Levo SL Changes The Game
- PPA urges government to allow cycling under strict lock down conditions
- Inside Movistar documentary series hits Netflix screens
- Specialized Racing pull teams out of Cape Epic
- Titan Racing Launch All-New Drone Hardtail
- Backyard Bike Checks: Show Your Bike Some Love and Win
- Italian-based Team Trek-Pirelli withdraw from Cape Epic
- 2020 Mountain Bike Stage Race Calendar
- Shimano Launch All-New 12-Speed Deore Groupset
- Matthys Beukes Turned Lockdown Upside Down with 1000km Ride
- NanoTime announce professional MTB team riders
- Specialized champion ride experience with 5.9 kg S-Works Aethos
- SRAM crank it to 52 tooth with new Eagle groupsets
- New Owner for 947 Ride Joburg
- The Digital Swiss 5 - Pro and Fan Races by Tour de Suisse Start April 22
In most years events account for a large proportion of the forum discussion. This year, outside of the Cape Town Cycle Tour and cancellation of the Cape Epic, there wasn't a whole lot of event activity to get people talking. And the numbers show it.
Given its universal impact, Covid-19 unsurprisingly dominated what was left of the cycling and non-cycling discussions on Bike Hub. Thankfully, the delayed Tour de France and Giro d'Italia provided us all with a temporary distraction later in the year, but we're hopeful to see a broadening the scope of cycling discussions in 2021.
Top 10 Most Viewed Topics
Top 10 Most Replied-to Topics
All stats for the period 17 December 2019 - 16 December 2020(and compared to the same period for the prior year).