Stage 2 was declared a neutral day after poor weather and dangerous conditions caused the race to be rerouted. The third stage saw riders cover 86kms from Jolivet farm to Scottburgh.
The dormakaba team of Amy McDougall and Robyn de Groot won the women’s race in an overall time of 07:03:10, after a clean sweep of stage wins.
PYGA Euro Steel’s Matthys Beukes and Phil Buys were second over the line today and came second overall (06:19:39). The young Insect Science team of Brendan van Eeden and Keagan Bontekoning were third overall (06:25:24) after taking third place in the stage today.
The second women’s team across the line today was Galileo Risk Infiniti, Sarah Hill and Theresa Ralph, taking second overall in a time of 07:15:41. Absolute Demacon’s Kim le Court and Frances Janse van Rensburg were third in the stage, which secures them third place overall in a time of 07:35:36.
Du Toit and Heyns stamped their authority on the race from the start, and after their Stage 1 win on Thursday they had a gap of over 3 minutes on the PYGA Euro Steel team. Without a second stage day of racing, that usually descends the Umkomaas Valley and climbs out again, the PYGA Euro Steel team were going to struggle to make up time in the fast third stage down to the coast.
The top three men’s teams stuck together for much of the race, no one taking any chances in trying conditions.
In the women’s race, McDougall and De Groot powered their way to a 2 minute lead early on in the race and were able to maintain the lead until they crossed the line at Scottburgh.
Third placed Absolute Demacon were both riding their first sani2c, and at 19 years old, Frances Janse van Rensburg was riding her first stage race.
The 16th edition of KAP sani2c was postponed to December from its usual May dates due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and took place on a much smaller scale to comply with regulations. 500 riders took part in the Adventure from 2-4 December, and less than 500 riders took place in the Race.
Stage three results
- DSV Pro Cycling (Arno du Toit/Gert Heyns) 03:09:30
- PYGA Euro Steel 1 (Matthys Beukes/Phil Buys) 03:14:11
- Insect Science 1 (Brendan van Eeden/Keagan Bontekoning) 03:18:33
- PYGA Euro Steel 2 (Pieter du Toit/Francois Theron) 03:26:03
- Insect Science 2 (Alan Gordon/CP van Wyk) 03:32:46
- dormakaba (Amy McDougall/Robyn de Groot) 03:36:48
- Galileo Risk Infiniti (Sarah Hill/Theresa Ralph) 03:44:25
- Absolute Demacon (Kim le Court/Frances Janse van Rensburg) 03:58:38
- DSV Pro Cycling (Arno du Toit/Gert Heyns) 06:10:38
- PYGA Euro Steel 1 (Matthys Beukes/Phil Buys) 06:19:39
- Insect Science 1 (Brendan van Eeden/Keagan Bontekoning) 06:25:24
- PYGA Euro Steel 2 (Pieter du Toit/Francois Theron) 06:39:18
- Insect Science 2 (Alan Gordon/CP van Wyk) 06:42:32
- dormakaba (Amy McDougall/Robyn de Groot) 07:03:10
- Galileo Risk Infiniti (Sarah Hill/Theresa Ralph) 07:15:41
- Absolute Demacon (Kim le Court/Frances Janse van Rensburg) 07:35:36
- Absolute Motion TCH (Chris Horter/Christie Hearder) 07:49:00
- The Rodents Mys & (Andries van der Merwe/Helen Squirrel) 08:22:17
- Black Sheep (Many Augustyn/Wesley Augustyn) 08:49:17