Events

Developing African cycling talent at the TSOGO Sun Amashova Durban Classic

· By Press Office · 1 comment

HotChillee today announced that two of its star young development riders will be heading to Durban to take part in the Tsogo Sun Amashova Durban Classic on the 18th October. The two young riders are Nicholas Dlamini and Shameeg Salie, both of whom have competed in Europe as part of the HotChillee development programme.

ccs-62657-0-40725600-1444992135.pngNicholas Dlamini in a solo break at this year’s Cape Rouleur.

Nicholas Dlamini rides for the MTN-Qhubeka feeder team based out of the UCI World Cycling Centre in Potchefstroom and Shameeg Salie who has ridden for several clubs and teams in the Western Cape, most recently completing a stint at Lights by Linea. Both of the riders have represented South Africa at an international level.

Stephen Roche, 1987 Tour de France, Giro d’Italia winner and World Champion said, “I have ridden with Nicholas and Shameeg in Europe and South Africa. Both demonstrated early talent and having improved massively are now demonstrating world class potential. Nicholas showed exceptional class at the recent UCI World Championships in America – I have big hopes! Shameeg won the Climbers and Sprinters Jersey at this year’s LONDON-PARIS, with mechanical misfortune preventing him from taking the General Classification.”

British pro Ben Swift has been mentoring the development riders and says, “I have been really interested in seeing what HotChillee have been doing with their development rider programme. Having the opportunity to ride with the young talent in Cape Town has been phenomenal and having them compete with the best at the Tsogo Sun Amashova Durban Classic is a great opportunity and a very good test. The more quality road racing that is made available the better they will become.”

Sven Thiele, founder of HotChillee said, “It is still extremely challenging for young emerging African talent to break through into the world pro cycling scene. At the moment we’re overlooking talent but having the likes of Tsogo Sun join our founding partners Oryx Stainless Group, numerous corporates, individuals and mentors who fund, develop and assist the young riders means this is another great step forward!”

ccs-62657-0-18541900-1444992175.pngShameeg Salie takes a stage win on this year’s LONDON-PARIS.

Kevin McCallum Chief Sports Writer at The Star who has been close to the program commented, “I’ve followed this programme since its inception. Creating world class talented development cyclists is about providing opportunity, motivation, infrastructure and opening doors. An understanding where the riders come from, where they go home to and how that’s managed together with their sport is true development.”

Nicholas Dlamini said “This is my first time riding the Tsogo Sun Amashova Durban Classic. I’m really excited to ride in one of South Africa’s premier road races together with Shameeg.”

Some recent highlights:

Nicholas Dlamini
Attended UCI World RR Championships U23 (2015)
2nd SA National ITT Championships U23 (2015)
2nd SA National TTT Championships (2015)
1st Margate Classic (2015)
1st Cape Rouleur (2015)

Shameeg Salie
1st One Tonner (2014)
2nd SA National Track Championships U23, 3rd Overall – Omnium (2014)
1st Sprint Champion LONDON-PARIS (2015)
1st Climb Champion LONDON-PARIS (2015)
2nd Cape Rouleur (2015)

Comments

lesego.2

Oct 16, 2015, 7:44 PM

Big things are Gwan.keep up the good work gents!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment