Events

Europeans turn up the heat in men’s Masters cross country

· By Matt · 0 comments

The Netherlands and Sweden scooped new world champions in the morning session of the second days racing at the UCI MTB Masters World Championships, before local riders bounced back to take four of the eight titles up for grabs in the downhill discipline.

2013M4TommyOlssonWins_2.jpg

Tommy Olsson of Sweden was unchallenged throughout his victory performance in the men’s 50-54 cross country at the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg.

Photo: Darren Goddard/Gameplan Media

The first race of the day, the men’s 50-54 category, saw a clean podium sweep from the Europeans after the Swede Olsson took the lead early in the race and never relinquished it to anyone. It was a comfortable win in the end for the Scandinavian who beat second place and former 45-49 champion Jean-Paul Stephan of France to win the event.

“I am so happy that I managed to win this year after being sick last year,” the former runner-up said. “I woke up the night before the race last year and was sick so I couldn’t race so being able to win it this year was great!”

The Swede had been focusing on winning the event this year and once he got in front of the other riders he put his head down and did not look back to see where the other riders where.

2013M4DougBrown_2.jpg

South Africa’s Doug Brown worked his way back up to fifth position after suffering a first lap crash before a third lap puncture put pay to his men’s 50-54 cross country race at the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg.

“Every single bit of training that I have been doing since I didn’t race last year has been geared at winning this year.

“Having a silver medal was great but I was determined to add the gold to my collection and I accomplished that,” the elated Swede said.

The race was marred with a controversial incident early in the race when South African Doug Brown was reportedly forced into the barrier early in the race and had to restart from the back of the field.

“I was in a great position early but was pushed off my bike and was stone last,” Brown said.

“The whole field was in front of me and I worked my way through into fifth and I was on the wheel of the guy in fourth but then I got an almighty puncture and had to pull out of the race,” a dejected Brown mentioned.

Coming into the final sprint to the line 10th place Mark Langman crashed and was forced to run with his bike for the last 250 metres to the finish line.

In the men’s 45-49 race it was the turn of the Dutchman Patrick Jansen to show his steel and take the win ahead of South African Shan Wilson. The race was packed with drama with potential podium finisher Rob Sims broke the frame of his bike on the second half of the first lap and had to pull out of the race.

The man from the Netherlands was in front for the entire race and although he started battling with cramp towards the end of his second lap and started feeling the effects of the Kwa-Zulu Natal winter as the dry air started taking its toll but he had enough of a lead to stay in front.

“I started battling a little with the dry conditions and I always knew that the guys behind me were never going to let up,” Jansen said. “My tactic was to get in the front from the start because it worked for me at the Dutch national championships.”

The Dutchman was chased down courageously by two South Africans, Shan Wilson and Andrew Mclean but it was Wilson who, after a nasty fall, claimed the silver medal.

2013M4ShanWilsonRocks_2.jpg

South Africa’s Shan Wilson picked himself up from an early crash and dislocated jaw to climb back up to second place in the men’s 45-49 cross country at the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg.

“At one of the drop offs on the first lap I double bounced and went over the handle bars and landed heavily on my face dislocating my jaw.

“I was dazed and got up and carried on, if it wasn’t a World Champs I probably would have gone home but I really had to finish,” mentioned a broken Wilson.

The Cape Tonian got up and started reeling in the rest of the field and caught his country man Mclean and tried his hardest to pull in the Dutch rider.

“We all came here to win but under the circumstances I am really happy with my second position overall,” he said.

South African cycling guru Andrew Mclean lost out on a top two position but he was content with his third and felt that he had lost out to better riders.

“Before I rode today I said I would be happy with a podium and would not mind losing out to better riders.

“Shan (Wilson) was so strong but Jansen was in a class of his own out there today so I am pretty happy with my third place,” Mclean said.

2013M4AndrewMcLean_2.jpg

Popular cycling personality Andrew McLean claimed a hard-fought third place in the men’s 45-49 cross country at the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg.

The UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships takes place at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg from 26 August to 1 September 2013, and will be preceded by the UCI MTB Masters World Championships from21 to 25 August. More info can be found at www.mtbworldchamps.co.za

SUMMARY OF RESULTS – UCI MTB MASTERS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

CROSS COUNTRY MEN

45-49 (3 laps)

1. Patrick Jansen (NED) 01.22.15

2. Shan Wilson (RSA) 01.23.02

3. Andrew Mclean (RSA) 01.24.38

4. Rafael Garrido (VEN) 01.26.16

5. Petrus Swiegers (NAM) 01.32.50

50-54 (3 laps)

1. Tommy Olsson (SWE) 1.21.44

2. Jean-Paul Stephan (FRA) 1.23.22

3. Mads Boedker (DEN) 1.23.31

4. Patrick Balthazard (FRA) 1.27.26

5. Atle Hansen (SWE) 1.29.47

2013M4PatrickJansen_2.jpg

Patrick Jansen of the Netherlands celebrates his victory in the men’s 45-49 cross country at the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg.

2013M4PatrickJansenAction_2.jpg

Netherlands’ Patrick Jansen was in a class of his own as he cruised to victory in the men’s 45-49 cross country at the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg.

2013M4RobertSimWithdrawal_2.jpg

South Africa’s Robert Sim makes his way through the forest on foot after crashing out and breaking his frame whilst occupying fourth position in the men’s 45-49 cross country at the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg.

2013M4JeanPaulStephan_2.jpg

Jean-Paul Stephan of France winds his way through the course en route to claiming second place in the men’s 50-54 cross country at the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment