Events

2020 CCPP Group Lions Karoo to Coast Postponed to 2021

· By Press Office · 5 comments

The 22nd CCPP Group Lions Karoo to Coast Mountain Bike Challenge will not take place on 20 September 2020, as scheduled. Amidst uncertain times as to when cross-provincial travel will once again be allowed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as out of concern for the health and safety of the riders and other stakeholders, the Lions of Uniondale and Knysna have taken the decision to postpone this year’s event.

ccs-144148-0-16869900-1594305296.jpg

This decision has been made with input from our safety team as well as the relevant municipal officials and our title sponsor,

the President of the Uniondale Lions, Ian du Plessis commented.

September is just two months away and we unfortunately cannot wait any longer to make the call,

he added.

The event – which acts as a seeding event for the Cape Town Cycle Tour – is an icon on the South African racing calendar and one of the largest of its type in the country. According to The Lions, in the unlikely event that the current legislation changes by September 20 – the practicalities of protecting the riders, supporters and crew, as well as the wider communities involved will be very complicated.

This is obviously a massive disappointment to the riders and organizers and a loss for the charities (managed through The Lions) which benefit each year, but the potential risks and consequences are simply too high.

ccs-144148-0-93811700-1594305307.jpg

The Lions of Uniondale and Knysna would like to thank their new title partner: CCPP Group who has committed to being on board in 2021 as per the current agreement. CCPP Group CEO – Clint Cawood – who is a keen cyclist – gave event organiser – Zandile Meneses, this positive news which means that the event has the backing to produce a top quality experience for riders in 2021.

Meneses added:

The event values its service providers, sponsors and crew members and volunteers and especially our riders. We can feel the enthusiasm of the riders and we know they are really chomping at the bit to have a “real life” racing experience. South Africans love an adventure and a journey and we are going to put all our energy in to improving the rider experience at this event in 2021.

At time of publication, entries for the event were nearing 50% full. The Lions Karoo to Coast will honour all paid entrants for this event in the most positive way possible. Three are three options available to those who have already entered:

1. Fully paid entry can be transferred to the 2021 event at the 2020 rate.
2. A cash refund of just 100% of your entry fee.
3. Riders may also opt to donate their entry fee to the charities that the Uniondale and Knysna Lions support through the event.

Riders can contact info@racetec.co.za before the end of July 2020 to confirm what option they would like to take so that this can be arranged.
Please see the website and social media pages for more info on how to proceed with regards to the policy above.
All proceeds from this event go to charities managed by the Lions of Uniondale and Knysna. The launch of the 2021 entries will take place on the 20th September 2020 and information on this will be at www.karootocoast.com as well as our social media pages.

Related posts

Comments

Skubarra

Jul 10, 2020, 9:06 AM

Was kind of hoping this one would be my post covid comeback event...

(Guess the Amashova will also be cancelled any day now)

So what is the earliest date on the calendar now for an event that haven't cancelled yet?

Wayne pudding Mol

Jul 10, 2020, 9:20 AM

Was kind of hoping this one would be my post covid comeback event...

(Guess the Amashova will also be cancelled any day now)

So what is the earliest date on the calendar now for an event that haven't cancelled yet?

probably Sani in December or has that been cancelled?

I am going to do the K2C on my own in the not too distant future - I don't "race" much but CTCT and K2C are fun events I try not miss.  K2C in particular as it suits my lard@rse.  For some reason I'm faster on this course than I should be and get a nice seeding from it

FondTF2

Jul 10, 2020, 9:23 AM

Not at all surprised.

Was inevitable

Skubarra

Jul 10, 2020, 9:23 AM

probably Sani in December or has that been cancelled?

I am going to do the K2C on my own in the not too distant future - I don't "race" much but CTCT and K2C are fun events I try not miss.  K2C in particular as it suits my lard@rse.  For some reason I'm faster on this course than I should be and get a nice seeding from it

Nice idea - K2C is one ride you can really do on your own or with a few friends without the need to enter the actual event.

Wayne pudding Mol

Jul 10, 2020, 9:37 AM

Nice idea - K2C is one ride you can really do on your own or with a few friends without the need to enter the actual event.

I don't have many friends that ride and the few I do are too lazy or too damn fast

At least solo I can use my gravel bike  - the biggest issue will be getting lost - bearing in mind I got lost 3 times during the 2016 Sani2C with a garmin and surrounded by 4500 people

The ladies who came 3rd overall steered us right on all 3 occasions, that's the part my wife likes best about that story

Add a comment

You must log in to comment