Events

Honey: Custom Creations Born Out of Lockdown

· By Press Office · 5 comments

Honey Custom Apparel is a Stellenbosch based cycling kit brand, which launched in 2020, in the midst of the pandemic. Born out of the need for a creative outlet and the desire to create attractive, modern, designs that ensure the wearers look as good on the bike as off it.

ccs-62657-0-30904900-1612172209.jpeg

Honey’s initial designs included a men’s and women’s specific funky jersey, a black women’s jersey with a subtle floral pattern, and a classic black men’s jersey. Classic black bib-shorts, in men’s and women’s specific designs, boasting an exceptionally comfortable chamois, polka dot windbreakers, a women’s specific floral fleece jersey, floral head socks and a range of cycling socks completed the initial line-up. Those designs were soon followed by a collaboration inspired by the Mother City and cyclists in search of fashionable apparel will be pleased to note that Honey’s founder has big ambitions for 2021.

“I’ve been astounded by the support Honey received from the local cycling community” founder Nicky Giliomee confessed. “Honey was born as much out of my own desire for attractive, women’s specific, designs and my brother, Ben’s, search for classic men’s apparel as it was any market research. It has also proven to be a great creative outlet and I can’t wait to share my 2021 designs with the South African cycling community.”

ccs-62657-0-00426500-1612172228.jpeg

“Having great friends and well-known cyclists – like Cherise Willeit and Ehlers Smit– riding in the kit has been invaluable too” Giliomee added. “Feedback from cyclists of their calibre helped refine the designs and dial in the garments’ fit. With the women’s jerseys it was particularly important to me that the garments were made to make ‘normal’ women look great on the bike. There’s no easy way to say this, but often cycling tops don’t make allowances for women with even moderately sized breasts. Part of the brief for Honey’s fit is that the jerseys allow women to feel and look feminine and attractive on and off the bike.”

ccs-62657-0-32016500-1612172177.jpeg

A jersey which certainly achieves this is the Honey collaboration with Tegan Phillips. The Cape Town based cartoonist is an avid cyclist herself and is currently preparing for a Ciro to Cape Town record attempt in 2022. Phillips hand drew a series of icons, inspired by the Mother City’s summer cycling most iconic moments, which adorn a peach-coloured women’s specific Honey Custom Apparel jersey.

Honey’s 2021 goals include creating unique summer and winter ranges which inspire cyclists to enjoy the great South African outdoors. Each design will only be produced in limited numbers to ensure riders always stand out from the peloton when wearing a Honey Custom Apparel garment. “We have plans to launch a range of off-the-bike leisurewear too” Giliomee smiled. “The idea is to create items which hint at our love of cycling but can be worn by anyone. Lockdown drove us to found Honey Custom Apparel, but also highlighted the importance of being active and the benefits of exercising outdoors. If we can provide clothing which makes people feel good while riding, running or just going for a walk then Honey will be a success.”

ccs-62657-0-67927900-1612172861.jpeg

ccs-62657-0-48430900-1612172239.png

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

Pure Savage

Feb 2, 2021, 11:15 AM

Any idea where the garmants are made?

nickygiliomee

Feb 2, 2021, 12:12 PM

Everything is made in South Africa #localislekker

Pure Savage

Feb 3, 2021, 2:18 PM

Everything is made in South Africa #localislekker

Awesome!

Hilton.

Feb 4, 2021, 6:39 AM

Nicky, the bibs look really good, from the little I can see. But on your site, there is only 1 image. And almost no details.

Can you give some more details about the construction, paneling, chamois, grippers etc? And more pics :)

Coeta

Feb 9, 2021, 1:40 AM

When I read Honey,,I thought of the jewelry and fashion things for woman as my wife buy from them, the moment I saw the cycle jerseys  I got the correct idea,good luck hope they dont fight over the sharing of brand names

Add a comment

You must log in to comment