Events

Ashburton Investments boosts elite women’s prize purse to equal men’s

· By Press Office · 63 comments

Ashburton Investments, the title sponsor of the South African National MTB Series, has announced it will equal the Elite women’s prize money.

This follows the Facebook message posted by three-time Cape Epic winner and Swiss champion, Ariane Lüthi of Team Spur. Lüthi, a Swiss national who lives in Stellenbosch for most of the year, is a former winner of the series.

ccs-62657-0-07012200-1485778283.jpgCandice Neethling leads the women’s charge through Grabouw’s soaked routes this past weekend at the first round of the Ashburton Investments National MTB Series in Grabouw. Photo credit: www.zcmc.co.za

While grateful for an increase in the Elite women’s prize money over 2016, Lüthi still recognised that the men earned more prize money than the women, for the same race distance, and refused, on principle, to participate in Saturday’s event in Grabouw.

Ashburton Investments, a part of the FirstRand Group, a company that is highly committed to gender equality, has agreed that equal prize money should be given for the entire series.

“We are firmly committed to the series, and as such, we want to encourage the participation of every rider. The prize money should be equal, and our hope is that this will further encourage more women to enter and compete. We would like to thank miss Lüthi for bringing it to our attention, and that we are able to rectify this discrepancy for the remainder of the series” said Marie Creighton from Ashburton Investments.

“I am glad that we can offer an equal prize purse to the ladies, without lowering the men’s prize money and I do believe that the result is a win for all. I would like to thank Ashburton Investments for the continued support and look forward to a great series in 2017!” said Fritz Pienaar, Director of Advendurance, the company that organises the Ashburton Investments National MTB Series.

“This is fantastic news and I cannot thank Ashburton Investments enough for increasing their sponsorship towards our beautiful sport and, in particular, their support of equality within it. I also need to thank Fritz Pienaar for contacting me this morning. We had a very positive conversation. I understand his position as a businessman. He did and still does a lot for the professionalism of the sport and I truly appreciate that,” said Lüthi.

“The way Ashburton Investments as well as Fritz Pienaar responded to my request is admirable. The fact that Advendurance, with the help of Ashburton Investments are willing to change the prize money structure and make it equal for women and men, is something I don’t take for granted. It is often very difficult to effect change. Maybe that is one of the biggest reasons why I love South Africa. I love it for its open mindedness,” added Lüthi.

“It is important to me to clarify that it was never my intention to make it a fight between Advendurance and myself or between men and women for that matter. My intention was to create awareness for the gender inequality that there still is, making people think and causing a discussion about it. If the cycling community’s response to this issue could be mirrored in broader society I really believe we could move forward on many more challenging social issues,” said Lüthi.

The Ashburton Investments National MTB Series is the most prestigious mountain bike racing series in South Africa and widely considered the best organised series in the world. It comprises seven rounds of racing in six provinces and caters for all levels of mountain bike racer, from novice to professional.

For more information on Ashburton Investments, visit www.ashburtoninvestments.com.

For more information on the Ashburton Investments National MTB Series, visit www.nationalmtbseries.com.

Comments

Sitting slip

Jan 30, 2017, 12:20 PM

as per fritz comment on her salary with spur team. spur now has to step up and make it equal as it would also be a positive move to inspire young girls to ride more and compete.

two hands

Jan 30, 2017, 12:28 PM

as per fritz comment on her salary with spur team. spur now has to step up and make it equal as it would also be a positive move to inspire young girls to ride more and compete.

Ariane is the best-paid member of Team Spur. Always has been. Fritz was mistaken when he made that comment.

PygaSchmyga

Jan 30, 2017, 12:32 PM

Ariane is the best-paid member of Team Spur. Always has been. Fritz was mistaken when he made that comment.

Fritz seems to have had a lot to say, all of which seems to justify lesser treatment of women.  Fritz needs to enter the 21st century, and leave behind his sexist views.  #getwiththeprogram

Bikejunkie

Jan 30, 2017, 1:18 PM

Fritz had a lot to say and at the end of that was still not prepared to budge. I'm glad somebody at Advendurance/ Ashburton investments realized that impact and aimed to resolve it. That kind of publicity does nothing for you as a person, your brand, your company, your events or your sponsors. Wakey Wakey Fritz.... The world turns with or without you... get on the train or go home with your tail between your legs. Someone just saved you from a s#@$ storm...

MarcW

Jan 30, 2017, 1:32 PM

Fritz has a lot of egg on his face this afternoon

Donovan Le Cok

Jan 30, 2017, 1:40 PM

Who is Fritz....?

Patchelicious

Jan 30, 2017, 1:41 PM

Why not equal pay for the men in her team?

NotSoBigBen

Jan 30, 2017, 2:21 PM

Without making light of this achievement, I guess this is specific to their series. What about all the other events that do not have equal prize money or is it because in this series the prize money is quite high that it is targeted ....

PygaSchmyga

Jan 30, 2017, 2:25 PM

Without making light of this achievement, I guess this is specific to their series. What about all the other events that do not have equal prize money or is it because in this series the prize money is quite high that it is targeted ....

you need to start somewhere - the others will follow, I'm sure

Eveza

Jan 30, 2017, 2:27 PM

Amazing what a little pressure from the top (from Ashburton in this case) can do.

As title sponsor they obviously realized that they cannot afford to share the same view as the event organizer. It would have reflected badly on them as a company.  

Shebeen

Jan 30, 2017, 2:29 PM

Very similar debate been going on in pro tennis.

I think it's ridiculous that the women's and men's purse is equal. Not because I'm sexist, but because of the pure economics that drive the sport (for reference, the Aus open tickets were starting at $200 for the ladies, $403 for the men's - TV viewing gets about double the audience for the men's).

It is obvious to see that it is much harder to make the top 30 in the men's field than it is to make the top 10 in the ladies. It can be argued that more prize money will attract more ladies, but I think equal prize money does very little to promote the sport (beyond the window dressing, and paying the few elite ladies). Catch 22 situation really.

Fritz has been roasted for being a dinosaur here, I sympathise as his argument is sound. Dangerous game for a pro athlete to hold organisers publicly like this (in my opinon as a total outsider).

PygaSchmyga

Jan 30, 2017, 2:54 PM

I think it's ridiculous that the women's and men's purse is equal. Not because I'm sexist, but because of the pure economics that drive the sport (for reference, the Aus open tickets were starting at $200 for the ladies, $403 for the men's - TV viewing gets about double the audience for the men's).

It is obvious to see that it is much harder to make the top 30 in the men's field than it is to make the top 10 in the ladies. It can be argued that more prize money will attract more ladies, but I think equal prize money does very little to promote the sport (beyond the window dressing, and paying the few elite ladies). Catch 22 situation really.

Fritz has been roasted for being a dinosaur here, I sympathise as his argument is sound. Dangerous game for a pro athlete to hold organisers publicly like this (in my opinon as a total outsider).

Both Fritz and your argument is founded in prejudice and ignorance, and yes, it IS archaic. 

Ariane asked for the same purse for the winner, and conceded not having the same top 10 - in fact, I think she offered to halve this to top 5 for women to address exactly what you and Fritz have tried to argue in justifying a blatantly sexist stance. 

You are both on the wrong side of this.  Rather just say well done to Ashburton who correctly and quickly understood the folly of unequal treatment, or do THEY not understand economics? 

Patchelicious

Jan 30, 2017, 3:00 PM

Both Fritz and your argument is founded in prejudice and ignorance, and yes, it IS archaic.

Ariane asked for the same purse for the winner, and conceded not having the same top 10 - in fact, I think she offered to halve this to top 5 for women to address exactly what you and Fritz have tried to argue in justifying a blatantly sexist stance.

You are both on the wrong side of this. Rather just say well done to Ashburton who correctly and quickly understood the folly of unequal treatment, or do THEY not understand economics?

Surely somebody can raise questions without being called archaic and ignorant.

It is a very valid point to discuss, because we all support equality, how ever sometime the pure economics of some cases make it a tough thing to get right.

Skubarra

Jan 30, 2017, 3:08 PM

It is a very valid point to discuss, because we all support equality, how ever sometime the pure economics of some cases make it a tough thing to get right.

I'll try

It's a case where economics aren't "self-correcting" and need some "intervention". To take an analogy in football, Barcelona and Real Madrid is dominating spanish football, therefore they have the most fans/viewers and in turn the biggest income which allow them to buy the best players/coaches/stadiums which perpetuate their dominance - a self-feeding circle (. Under normal circumstances it would be impossible for another team to permanently break into the top 2 unless some rich Arab/Russian with oil money show up...

It's the same with male-dominated sports, over years they have received the most investment which produces the better product which in turn attract the most investment.

One way to start breaking this cycle is equal prize money.

2013 and 2014 US open tennis woman finals drew more viewers than the mens finals, so the potential is there.

Shebeen

Jan 30, 2017, 3:16 PM

You are both on the wrong side of this.  Rather just say well done to Ashburton who correctly and quickly understood the folly of unequal treatment, or do THEY not understand economics? 

okee dokee, It's a bit hard to see exactly the he said/she said currently as things have been misquoted. BUT if she only wanted it for the leader then it's quite a self motivated campaign

Well done to Ashburton because they prevented a PR media sh1tstorm with quick action by throwing money to put out the fire, or well done because they take women's rights seriously??

Patchelicious

Jan 30, 2017, 3:16 PM

I'll try

It's a case where economics aren't "self-correcting" and need some "intervention". To take an analogy in football, Barcelona and Real Madrid is dominating spanish football, therefore they have the most fans/viewers and in turn the biggest income which allow them to buy the best players/coaches/stadiums which perpetuate their dominance - a self-feeding circle (. Under normal circumstances it would be impossible for another team to permanently break into the top 2 unless some rich Arab/Russian with oil money show up...

It's the same with male-dominated sports, over years they have received the most investment which produces the better product which in turn attract the most investment.

One way to start breaking this cycle is equal prize money.

2013 and 2014 US open tennis woman finals drew more viewers than the mens finals, so the potential is there.

Good point.

I agree that equal prize money is a good starting point. But as you say, we need to acknowledge that this is intervention to correct an issue, so if some people question the economics we cannot just cover them with a blanket "bigot" label. Without sorting the root issue, equal prize money might not be a sustainable solution.

Equal prize money is also not the only solution, so along with equal prize money we need to support other angles too. The Spur school series seems to be attracting lots of young ladies to the sport.

jcza

Jan 30, 2017, 3:26 PM

Pro tennis is a slightly different story - One of the Williams sisters wiped the floor with her opponent in 60 minutes in 2 sets and walks away with the same purse as Murray/Nadal/Djok/Fed that fought for nearly 6 hours in a 5 setter.

Not quite sure how that works. Make the ladies play best of 5 sets then.

Skubarra

Jan 30, 2017, 3:28 PM

Equal prize money is also not the only solution, so along with equal prize money we need to support other angles too. The Spur school series seems to be attracting lots of young ladies to the sport.

Think this is a storm in a tea cup anyway, lets be honest, the prize money we are talking here aren't exactly earth shattering. It is more about the principle.

One can convincingly argue economics to keep the status quo but there is a bigger picture here, the sport as a whole will benefit if it can attract more ladies.

Patchelicious

Jan 30, 2017, 3:32 PM

Think this is a storm in a tea cup anyway, lets be honest, the prize money we are talking here aren't exactly earth shattering. It is more about the principle.

One can convincingly argue economics to keep the status quo but there is a bigger picture here, the sport as a whole will benefit if it can attract more ladies.

I'm not disputing that, and I agree 100% with what you are saying.

I am just saying that if some people do question the economic aspects of it, it's not right to take the shortcut and simply label them bigots.

PygaSchmyga

Jan 30, 2017, 3:34 PM

Perhaps a bit harsh, but when people use non-relevant facts to justify an argument that reinforces an unfair status quo, then why is it NOT fair to call it ignorant? 

I find it ironic that BikePub quoted stats from the aussie open, because the purse for women and men is the same, in spite of ticket prices being different! 

And I disagree with you - I do not think there is any debate here.  It is not right to award female winners less purse.  Quoting this and that about different participation levels etc etc is merely using the historic situation, which was born out of discrimination in the first place, to justify continuing an unfairness is self-defeating.  Change has to start somewhere, and the fact that Ashburton have acknowledged this ends the debate in my mind.

Patchelicious

Jan 30, 2017, 3:41 PM

Snip

And I disagree with you - I do not think there is any debate here. It is not right to award female winners less purse.

That is not what I said!!!! I NEVER said that females deserve less.

I said equal purse is correct, but refusing to engage in the debates around it and simply labeling anybody who questions the mechanics of it as bigots is ignorant.

Shebeen

Jan 30, 2017, 3:42 PM

Perhaps a bit harsh, but when people use non-relevant facts to justify an argument that reinforces an unfair status quo, then why is it NOT fair to call it ignorant? 

I find it ironic that BikePub quoted stats from the aussie open, because the purse for women and men is the same, in spite of ticket prices being different! 

I think the tennis debate is a good analogy. The debate has been going on for much longer, and the arguments/status quo are similar.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/21/novak-djokovic-is-right-male-tennis-players-do-deserve-to-be-paid-more-than-female-stars-5765546/

I was pointing out that it doesn't make sense at the aussie open, but because it is in the spotlight the organisers are forced to do equal pay. Rest of the year the men make the money in tennis. So you actually got that one loud and clear.

And I disagree with you - I do not think there is any debate here.  It is not right to award female winners less purse.  Quoting this and that about different participation levels etc etc is merely using the historic situation, which was born out of discrimination in the first place, to justify continuing an unfairness is self-defeating.  Change has to start somewhere, and the fact that Ashburton have acknowledged this ends the debate in my mind.

ok. let's look at this from the otherside then.

Male model's deserve the same money that female models do. http://fortune.com/2015/07/15/male-models-pay/

It's a stupid argument, because in my mind equal prizemoney doesn't really do much for the development of elite females. 

V12man

Jan 30, 2017, 3:44 PM

Fritz seems to have had a lot to say, all of which seems to justify lesser treatment of women. Fritz needs to enter the 21st century, and leave behind his sexist views. #getwiththeprogram

Seems to have made a u turn in his approach after Ashburton boosted the prise money... what a tjop
Shebeen

Jan 30, 2017, 3:45 PM

the answer is simple here.

Epic made equal prize money in 2014, so we have a bit of data to work with.

Is the ladies elite field better in 2017 than it was in 2013?

If that really is the case then I concede all arguments.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment