Carmen Buchacher found guilty of anti-doping rule violation

Cycling South Africa reports that Carmen Buchacher has been found guilty of an anti-doping rule violation of Article 2.1 and Article 2.2 of the SAIDS Anti-Doping Rules after an out-of-competition test conducted on 3 March 2018 confirmed the presence of ESAs, including Recombinant EPOs and Analogues.

SAIDS has imposed a period of ineligibility of 2 years, commencing on 3 March 2018 until and including 2nd March 2020. Ms Buchacher is therefore suspended and prohibited from competing and administering in the sport of Cycling as well as in any other sport in South Africa and Internationally during this time.

Source: Cycling South Africa.

42 Comments

xamnam, Jul 26 2018 08:05

Carmen Bek@khaarself toe sy besef sy is uitgevang vir ateletiese bedweleming.

Pure Savage, Jul 26 2018 08:36

sucks for her teammate in the epic. does she loose her 6th place as well?

Probably owes that R30k back to the organisers.

blinx, Jul 26 2018 09:34

Why do they do this when they know you can get caught?

olffie1, Jul 26 2018 09:55

Why only 2 years? The only way we are going to sort the cheats out is if the Governing Bodies really get tough! Two years is not a big enough suspension to outway the rewards they have benefitted in!

Tankman, Jul 26 2018 10:44

Why only 2 years? The only way we are going to sort the cheats out is if the Governing Bodies really get tough! Two years is not a big enough suspension to outway the rewards they have benefitted in!

Weren't the Epic the first one's to implement a Lifetime Ban for Dopers?

Then a local pro doper really wanted to ride, they said Ok, The ban is only in valid from the year after before the doper got caught.

The some big European pro dopers really wanted to ride, then they said, Ok as long as you served your time!

How many dopers has ridden the Epic since they implemented their "Life Time Ban"?

All of them!! That's how many!

banna, Jul 27 2018 07:07

With all the focus on doping these days, it just boggles the mind that the guys are still doing it? Stupidity? Arrogance?

gtr1, Jul 27 2018 08:24

I don't think the lifetime ban is still in place for Epic. Not since the race was sold. Hence why Hincapie and Van De Velde can race.

gtr1, Jul 27 2018 08:26

The person to really lose out here is Carmen's Epic partner. Presumably raced clean for a 6th spot for nothing :-(

Robbie Stewart, Jul 27 2018 10:52

Governing bodies are not giving a toot, it's all just posturing and grand standing if one considers that these days one can get caught red handed and still be allowed to contest the greatest race on earth, a la CF's Le Tour...

Makes me so mad that I have to watch a race only to wonder who in the bunch is not doping. Probably no-one.

babse, Jul 27 2018 11:05

The person to really lose out here is Carmen's Epic partner. Presumably raced clean for a 6th spot for nothing :-(

presumably

nathrix ® ©™, Jul 27 2018 02:44

I don't think the lifetime ban is still in place for Epic. Not since the race was sold. Hence why Hincapie and Van De Velde can race.

https://www.cape-epi...olerance-policy

"Any person who is under provisional or final sanction by an Anti-Doping Organisation with jurisdiction under the WADA Code (a “person under sanction”) is prohibited from participating or being involved in the race, whether as a rider, team manager or official or in any other capacity whatsoever. Where any such sanction has been made final for an offence committed after 31 December 2012, such prohibition shall apply for the life of the person under sanction (irrespective of the duration of the sanction imposed by the relevant Anti-Doping Organisation)."

Oufy MTB (Roadie), Jul 27 2018 02:51

Dumb behaviour. Black mark against your name for life.

But people have short memories, I see quite a few dopers happily embraced as if they did nothing

Oufy MTB (Roadie), Jul 27 2018 02:53

agree, I know of a guy that got a lifetime ban. 

Andrew Steer, Jul 28 2018 05:50

Curious statement for a kit manufacturer to engage with.

To be fair that's not really a binary argument at all on the other 5 teams, also wouldn't exactly say she "burst onto the scene" 
Doping can only enhance pre existing athletic ability, which if one is able to get to an elite level of competition then yes it is a measurable advantage. 

No amount of doping certainly doesn't take an athlete from club level to elite level. Which isn't to say it's rationale either, it deserves absolute penalisation. 

Whoops, that was me posting on the Anatomic profile (face palm!)

I do have my personal doubts about most of the top echelons of any professional sport - history has taught me many harsh lessons and I'm not convinced anti-doping is or ever will win the game.

My point was more against the view that doping alone makes someone a winner. There could have been 5 dopers ahead of her, there could have been zero, there could have been 20 below her - it's not a binary line, you are quite correct.

At the top though, smallest margins make big differences, and money is on the line, so the incentive is so much more. 

I like most of our top riders, some fantastic human beings in my experience, but that certainly doesn't make them perfect. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer guy and a more model professional than Kevin Evans, but hey, we know how that ended.

Andrew Steer, Jul 28 2018 05:55

With all the focus on doping these days, it just boggles the mind that the guys are still doing it? Stupidity? Arrogance?

Still relatively easy to get around the checks... and locally lets not kid ourselves, the testing is unfortunately pretty thin on the ground.

Yip it's not a free for all like it once was, but it's still going down... that's one thing you can pretty much assure yourself of

DieselnDust, Jul 30 2018 12:12

Whoops, that was me posting on the Anatomic profile (face palm!)

I do have my personal doubts about most of the top echelons of any professional sport - history has taught me many harsh lessons and I'm not convinced anti-doping is or ever will win the game.

My point was more against the view that doping alone makes someone a winner. There could have been 5 dopers ahead of her, there could have been zero, there could have been 20 below her - it's not a binary line, you are quite correct.

At the top though, smallest margins make big differences, and money is on the line, so the incentive is so much more. 

I like most of our top riders, some fantastic human beings in my experience, but that certainly doesn't make them perfect. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer guy and a more model professional than Kevin Evans, but hey, we know how that ended.

Very true. Good people sometimes do excise poor judgement.

I don't think its just the pro's who engage in questionable practices. I've seen some meteoric rises in the amateur and fun rider categories that can't be explained.

A lot of the time ego is the incentive

tubed, Dec 02 2018 03:13

You really have to wonder if she is ok, entering UTCT 21 today coming 3rd only to be disqualified. Someone close to her needs to have a good chat to her or get her some help.