Cycling SA clarifies rules regarding e-bikes in sanctioned events

Cycling SA has noted a trend amongst some event organisers to include E-bikes (electronically assisted bikes) into the events. This is an unfair and unsafe practice. There have been incidents involving E-bike riders – from causing accidents in technical terrain to actually claiming podium amongst normal bicycle riders.

Currently, under UCI and Cycling SA regulations, the use of E-bikes by participants is not allowed in sanctioned events. Events that are sanctioned by Cycling South Africa agree to abide by the current rules and regulations.

Specialized ebike.jpg
Currently, under UCI and Cycling SA regulations, the use of E-bikes by participants is not allowed in sanctioned events. Events that are sanctioned by Cycling South Africa agree to abide by the current rules and regulations.

Should an event organiser choose to include the participation of e-bikes they do so at entirely their own risk. The insurance cover provided under Cycling SA sanctioning only covers the riders who participate within the rules of Cycling SA – that is riders on conventional bicycles. Members of Cycling SA who participates in sanctioned events on an E-Bike will also forfeit any potential claim for medical assistance, as the use of E-Bikes falls outside of the scope of the federation’s rules and regulations.

An E-Bike rider has a distinct advantage over all other competitors and can be used by a participant to try and influence their seeding for future events in both road and mountain bike events, attain a podium or influence the overall outcome of a race by assisting others who are on normal bicycles (drafting, mechanical support, towing, pushing).

Any protest or objections regarding the inclusion of E-bikes at an event will be solely the responsibility of the event organiser or race director and not the responsibility of the Cycling SA race commissaires. E-bike riders will be excluded from commissaire result sheets and/or verification.

E-bikes are considered as mechanical doping and a contravention of UCI regulation 1.3.010. The potential sanctions are severe.

Cycling South Africa Mountain Bike Regulations for 2018 (published in 2017) have expressly excluded E-Bikes into the regulations.

14.01.010 The use of electronically assisted bicycles (E-Bikes) are not permitted in any form of mountain bike events when run on the same course at the same time.

43 Comments

Robbow, Aug 24 2018 04:23

Thanks to CSA for releasing a statement to clarify their current position on it. But I also think they are missing a trick here.

More and more Ebikes are coming into the market (more like Flooding the market) and with race numbers dropping and clearly people buying these bikes they are losing out on a solidly growing income stream. Perhaps they should be investigating Ebikes having there own batches?

A really good example of this is Enduro where you effectively race on your own, a separate category and away you go.

There is obviously the very real concern about using them to benefit racers (i.e. pushing, towing etc) but this could be mitigated by making these ebikes start last.

As for the inflammatory statements in the article about ebikes causing accidents, that's pretty laughable. What about all the people riding bikes who have no idea how to ride anything remotely technical, I'm sure none of them have ever caused a crash or got into situations that they couldn't handle.

I personally am buying an Ebike and couldn't care less if I'm allowed to race it or not. They are fun and let me ride more trails in the same time I have available.

Pure Savage, Aug 24 2018 04:25

Ok, this press release is rather funny. 

If you allow e-bikes to ride you will forfeit the insurance cover we allowed to lapse anyway... oops

So for organisers to get around it they just cant use the same course, so the ebike riders do a 500m random loop and its not the "same" course. 

I am pretty sure racetec is able to nulify seeding if you enter an ebike category. 

Great seeing our national body getting more people off bikes, out of events, pretty much the same policy they hold with nurturing talent. 

GTFO

T-Bob, Aug 24 2018 04:59

Ok, this press release is rather funny. 

If you allow e-bikes to ride you will forfeit the insurance cover we allowed to lapse anyway... oops

So for organisers to get around it they just cant use the same course, so the ebike riders do a 500m random loop and its not the "same" course. 

I am pretty sure racetec is able to nulify seeding if you enter an ebike category. 

Great seeing our national body getting more people off bikes, out of events, pretty much the same policy they hold with nurturing talent. 

GTFO

Bwaaahahahahaha. That is the best burn of the week. Gold. 

Clinton H, Aug 24 2018 05:00

.They should never be in the results or show as an official finisher , then I'm happy for them to join any race anywhere . ( of course a non competitive category is standard issue for these dudes ) 

Shebeen, Aug 24 2018 05:51

Two simple rules for ebikes in races.

*if an event wants to allow ebikes, then they must start behind a dedicated and clearly indicated Ebike marshall provided by the race organisers. They must stay behind this guy the whole way, (and he must finish below the top30% of the field).

*no official finish recorded.

everyone gets to play.

Titleist, Aug 24 2018 06:10

Funny that I haven’t seen race numbers dropping. It’s an e-bike, end of story. Mechanical propulsion on two wheels on dirt is called motocross, that’s where they belong. If you want to cycle you have to sweat. Simple.

bikebloke, Aug 24 2018 07:41

yay ban the bloody moped drivers

Heinrich Hattingh, Aug 24 2018 07:49

How is riding an e-bike unfair and unsafe? if an event organiser allows e-bikes you enter into a specific e-bke chategory. So how is this unfair to any of the other competitors competing in their own category? Muppets. nothing wrong with riding an ebike if the results are grouped within their own category. 

SwissVan, Aug 24 2018 08:05

Philistines (Cycling SA)....stating the obvious

Why dont they just allow the E Bikes to start at a different time compared to the rest of the field.... 

Cycling South Africa Mountain Bike Regulations for 2018 (published in 2017) have expressly excluded E-Bikes into the regulations.

14.01.010 The use of electronically assisted bicycles (E-Bikes) are not permitted in any form of mountain bike events when run on the same course at the same time.

Forthelove, Aug 24 2018 11:23

For many that are not worried about coming in the top 100 or 200 and just love MTBing but for some reason can’t ride or train or manage on a normals bike- EBIKES ARE THEIR BLESSING. My bike patner had a bad fall and it took 14 days in ICU to get back up and walking. Guess what’s motivating him, the fact he can still ride with me on a Ebike. The SPORT of MTB is still possible for him due to EMTB. NO ONE should take this away from anyone and we will be doing Sani and he be right next to me. Many people just love to ride races on a MTB or EBIKE NOT TO WIN but to have FUN on the trail. That’s all. Incase some of us are a little behind MTB EBIKES are the fastest growing bike segment in 15 years. There will always be option and opposition to some things new. Like wheels from 26 to 29 who can remember the massive controversy. This will become part of MTB and no one can stop the tidal wave.

mornevg, Aug 25 2018 08:07

Perfect reply Forthelove.

I don't get why anyone would want to stop someone from riding a bike.

Seperate cats, seperate ride. Easy.

Then again, I am sure if one would do a search on the BikeHub, we will see that CSA only ever post press releases overextending their unwelcome reach. Majority of the time takimg credit for other peoples hard work and dedication.

No mention of talent identification, no mention of sponsorship generating processes, nada.

nigelhicks, Aug 25 2018 08:20

they really need to wake up. its a huge market and a great way to bring in rider who otherwise wouldnt/cant ride as Forthelove said.
i agree that you cant race them in the same batches as a normal bike in marathons. thats just unfair. but if they have their own category. and its a fun class that jas no impact on the overall results.... why on earth not.

i realise that csa have to abide by uci regulations. ... and maybe its an insurance issue but if the top brass were forward thinking they would get off their arses and look into how to accommodate such a market to help grow the sport.

brumby, Aug 25 2018 08:26

Never followed the E Bike posts - but here goes - There's an elderly gentleman, mid sixties, that rides an E bike at N Farm - had a hip replacement op a couple of months ago. A well known cyclist who has been competing for years , had a heart attack , now also on an E bike. My sons stepfather weighs 160kg, family and friends chipped in and bought him an E bike , after not riding for over 40 years he's now riding again. Both my knees are buggered, have a rare disease in both feet and have also lost the cushioning layer in my left foot. I've had my E bike for 4 weeks and absolutely loving it.Big up to the organizers of the 94.7 for allowing an E bike class.  and hope that other race organizers will do the same in the future,

DieselnDust, Aug 25 2018 04:54

Manne manne. Moenie worry nie. There's nothing in the statement that forbids e-bikes. CSA can't sanction them because e-bikes do not exist In any IOC mandate. So all CSA are saying is it's up to the event organisers to work out how to include the e-bikes. The event organiser also needs to address the insurance and liability aspects. End of story/ vluit vluit my storie is uit.

Devon Mans, Aug 25 2018 05:57

Does anyone have any examples of an event where an E-bike rider claimed a podium amongst normal riders? That would be really shocking if it's true!

DieselnDust, Aug 25 2018 09:36

To be honest it looks like the lazy gits read the ebike thread on bikehub and formed an ebike policy. There's a smattering of cut and paste in there

Robbie Stewart, Aug 25 2018 10:34

I will be miffed when, after riding my regular mtb up a single track climb getting passed by e-bikes, to then be held up on the descents because the git who can't ride a normal bike also does not have the requisite skills to handle that beast in technical terrain. E-bikes should stay on the gravel roads and off the trails.

Robbow, Aug 26 2018 07:32

I will be miffed when, after riding my regular mtb up a single track climb getting passed by e-bikes, to then be held up on the descents because the git who can't ride a normal bike also does not have the requisite skills to handle that beast in technical terrain. E-bikes should stay on the gravel roads and off the trails.

It's rather funny that you blame ebikes for this. I've always been crap at climbing and have spent endless races stuck behind riders who climb faster and then sux at anything pointing downwards. Ebikes aren't going to cause that, it happens already.

solty, Aug 26 2018 08:05

Why would e-bike riders want to participate in races (races, not general mountain biking, or funrides) ? The e-bike playing field isn't level in term of motor power, battery performance, etc. It will just be about the guy who has the newest tech e-system biggest battery, or has hacked his bike's electronics to increase maximum assistance.

Kind of like who took the most epo, or discovered the newest performance enhancing substance. The playing field will never be level between e-bike racers. The result isn't the product of human effort.

Donga, Aug 26 2018 08:29

So at 70 I switched from "normal" to e-bike. It's not a scrambler - still need to work hard whilst managing battery on longer trails. Delighted to start races in separate category - allows me to mix it with the younger riders I raced 10 years ago. All the previous comments about skills apply to all riders - some are great climbers - some freeze on technical obstacles or downhills - normal hazards of racing. Until rules learn how to incorporate e-bikes I am happy not to be included in results - I will be able to participate in big stage races and myriad of MTB events for the next 10 years!! The future of MTB fun has arrived for me.

mountainfun, Aug 26 2018 08:59

What would help here is if the non-Ebikers tried to argue as Ebikers..  

And E-bikers as non-Ebikers.

Seems to me that no one is even trying to really understand the other's point of view.  Or rather, very superficially.

I'll try and do the same, as I probably also have some very strong views on the negatives of ebikes. 

But, there are positives.  

By understanding each other a bit better, we'll be able to come to better solutions.

Bonus, Aug 26 2018 10:37

An E-Bike rider has a distinct advantage over all other competitors and can be used by a participant to try and influence their seeding for future events in both road and mountain bike events, attain a podium or influence the overall outcome of a race by assisting others who are on normal bicycles (drafting, mechanical support, towing, pushing).

This must be a real and  genuine concern. There's always going to be an unscrupulous pair where the one on the E-bike tows the one on a "normal" bike to a better finish than they could ever have achieved under normal conditions?

I know drafting already exists, and of course in some races it's an actual team strategy, but working a motorbike, team car, or E-bike into the equation can't be allowed. . . .

Jewbacca, Aug 26 2018 12:01

Said it on the e-bike thread and I will say it here. The issue is not with 97% of the e-bike drivers.

Most of you wouldn't cheat, wouldn't try to claim results etc but as humans with an insatiable will to win at all costs, there will be some teams/people who use the e-bikes to their advantage.

Being motopaced for a day long breakaway, riding across gaps, lead out trains. People will use them to gain an advantage so removing the temptation is the only way anyone can be certain it won't happen.

The few ruining it or the many. As per normal

Bonus, Aug 26 2018 01:36

I was going to say the same thing. As in all walks of life it's a few who spoil it for the rest.