Cycling SA President William Newman resigns

At the Cycling South Africa National Council Meeting that preceded the Annual General Meeting in Gauteng today, President William Newman resigned with immediate effect.

Secretary General Gregory van Heerden will care take the post until we place a call for nominations for the position of President. The nomination and manifesto will be approved by the Board.

Cycling South Africa thanks Mr Newman for his unwavering commitment, dedication and input into the sport, specifically during trying recent times. Newman continues to serve on the continental Confederation of African Cycling Management Committee and at the highest level in the sport, the UCI (International Cycling Union) Track Management Committee.

William Newman CSA resign.jpg
At the Cycling South Africa National Council Meeting that preceded the Annual General Meeting in Gauteng today, President William Newman resigned with immediate effect.

11 Comments

Meezo, Feb 17 2018 06:44

Zuma!

Bloukrans, Feb 17 2018 09:34

Cyril is cleaning up the rot all over😂

johannrissik, Feb 18 2018 12:01

Oh no! How sad.

rpedro, Feb 18 2018 09:25

Sad indeed.

Shebeen, Feb 19 2018 09:59

Can someone give the 911 on what this actually means?

Was he a goodie or a baddie?

Pure Savage, Feb 19 2018 10:20

This is a 'braking' story I take it!

fabs, Feb 19 2018 10:24

What do you mean " goodie or a baddie " ?

I've always wondered where our CSA membership fees end up ?

Do we get any hard evidence of the benefits ?

Headshot, Feb 19 2018 11:15

Perhaps he made enough so he could retire :-)

Shebeen, Feb 19 2018 12:10

ok. was he part of the problem or part of the solution.

people who know more must have an opinion.

Skinnyone, Feb 19 2018 01:32

The reason he resigned was there was a vote of no confidence about to be tabled against him...guilty conscience perhaps?

OR he wasn't getting paid to be in that position (which I don't really believe) so he thought screw it I'm not getting paid to take this heat so I'm out...

More likely - the vote of no confidence would mean a possible audit and exposure of corruption.

milky4130, Feb 21 2018 10:25

William Newman quit as Cycling SA president due to ‘lack of appreciation for his efforts’

FEBRUARY 20, 2018 ,  4:02 PM  BY IN THE BUNCH STAFF REPORTER
Share this:

William Newman, who tendered his resignation as president of Cycling South Africa at the organisation’s National Council meeting in Johannesburg on Saturday, has explained why he opted to step down.

Newman said he decided to resign after the council showed a “lack of appreciation” for his efforts in remedying the organisation’s current situation.

“Our current financial situation has not been pleasant and our membership rightly demanded answers and a resolution,” Newman said in a statement.

“Due to my efforts I managed to bring about substantial relief, in excess of R1-million, through sponsorship procurement and a negotiated payment settlement plan with the UCI.”

William-Newman.jpg?resize=800%2C533&ssl=

William Newman. former president of Cycling South Africa. Photo: Cycling South Africa

However, he realised in the meeting that taking responsibility for the situation, his efforts to bring about stability and the substantial relief he achieved were “not enough for our council members”.

“The mood in the meeting indicated that council members were demanding more than this. It was very evident that my efforts were not appreciated.

“Being the experienced, astute leader that I am I sensed they wanted change.”

Newman then granted the council their “wish” and stepped down. “This was done in a very respectful and dignified manner,” he said.

Newman first became aware of the severity of the organisation’s financial challenges in April last year.

“I amplified my efforts to remedy the situation. It was important to restore the tarnished image of our organisation and to this end, and at personal cost (subsequently reimbursed), I travelled for meetings with key creditors and stakeholders.

“I had meetings with company directors and national and international sports leaders. We worked out a plan to address the situation.

“At the same time, drastic austerity measures were introduced in the organisation. Shortcomings in the organisational structure were identified and plans were put in place to address these.

“A 16-point action plan was developed with tasks allocated amongst the staff, executive and management committee members.”

Newman further added, “With 40 years of experience as a rider and an administrator and having been thrust into admin positions from an early age, I am confident in my ability.

“My principles of integrity, respect, professionalism and leading by example while advocating good corporate governance are unquestionable.

“I am very proud of what I have achieved in my cycling career, on the sporting front and as an administrator – and the majority of the time during very trying times.

“I am fully committed to serving the sport and improving the lot of our riders. There is still a lot to be done.”

Outside of Cycling SA, Newman serves as a Sascoc High Performance Commission member, management committee member of the Confederation of African Cycling, president of the Confederation of African Cycling Track Commission and as a member of the UCI Track Commission.

“As was the case with my position as president of Cycling SA, I will continue to serve in those positions to the best of my ability where my efforts are recognised and appreciated.

“I am very proud of my contribution to cycling in South Africa and Africa and I am extremely proud of what I have achieved. I will continue to serve the sport I love.

“I wish Cycling South Africa all the best for the future,” he added.