Events

Chapman’s Peak Drive remains off limits for cyclists

· By Press Office · 47 comments

Repair work on the catch fences above Chapman’s Peak Drive that were severely damaged during the fires of March 2015 has been completed. The only outstanding work on the contract is minor cleaning work and the planting of indigenous plants. The planting will be done early next year. The road will be open to two-way motor vehicle traffic during the December holiday period. However, no cyclists or pedestrians will be permitted on the road for safety reasons.

ccs-62657-0-05576100-1449825772.jpg

The fences are designed to catch rocks of a certain size. Normal vegetation cover holds the soil together, and reduces the risk of smaller rocks rolling down the slope. However, the vegetation is still recovering from the fire. The geotechnical engineer’s report has made it clear that significant numbers of rocks about the size of a human fist continue to roll down onto the road. These pose a serious hazard to cyclists and pedestrians because of the height from which these projectiles fall off the mountain.

The Department of Transport and Public Works considers the safety of road users to be its highest priority. It was hoping to have been able to remove the restrictions on cyclists and pedestrians at the end of November 2015, but the road is not yet safe. The situation will be reviewed again in 2016.

Comments

Nick

Dec 11, 2015, 9:29 AM

The Department of Transport and Public Works statement is a bit vague. There's a more comprehensive update from Chapman's Peak here: http://blog.chapmanspeakdrive.co.za/2015/12/cyclist-update-on-chappies/

blonde kid

Dec 11, 2015, 9:56 AM

Cyclists not allowed but scooters and motorbikes are allowed. Where is the logic?

porqui

Dec 11, 2015, 10:17 AM

If a 20kg rock comes down - does it matter what you are riding or driving - will you even know it hit you -

Thomo

Dec 11, 2015, 10:18 AM

Is this still just south/Noordhoek side.?

porqui

Dec 11, 2015, 10:23 AM

Is this still just south/Noordhoek side.?

Lookout point to Noordhoek.

raptor-22

Dec 11, 2015, 10:29 AM

has never been enforced. Thousands of cyclists on that road every weekend.

EmptyB

Dec 11, 2015, 10:38 AM

has never been enforced. Thousands of cyclists on that road every weekend.

....and watch all hell break loose when someone gets drilled by a 50kg rock

J∆kk∆ls

Dec 11, 2015, 11:53 AM

That people think they are safe inside their car baffles me !?! 

DJR

Dec 11, 2015, 11:54 AM

I'm normally a "stick to the rules" type, but I suppose I have to start my civil disobedience campaign somewhere - and what better place than the gorgeous Chappies ride?  :whistling:

DJR

Dec 11, 2015, 11:56 AM

Why people think they are safe inside their cars baffles me !?!

P.S. the rock does not actually fall on the car! 

:eek:  I nearly wet my pants just watching this

Pure Savage

Dec 11, 2015, 11:57 AM

....and watch all hell break loose when someone gets drilled by a 50kg rock

The alternative is Constania Nek with the 1000kg taxi's.

People get drilled by those often. 

Spoke to the guy at the top with the flag, he said I am not here to stop you, just to advise you there was a rock fall 3 weeks ago.

FlashingPedals

Dec 11, 2015, 1:03 PM

:eek:  I nearly wet my pants just watching this

Hectic!!!!

:eek: :eek:

Capricorn

Dec 11, 2015, 2:21 PM

jakkals: why you remove the vid?

rpedro

Dec 11, 2015, 2:32 PM

I drove there yesterday in my car and rocks fell just a couple of meters in front of my car. Faaaaaaaak !!!!

DJR

Dec 11, 2015, 2:43 PM

Chapmans Peak is a rock fall zone. It can happen any time. The nets and barriers will catch big rocks. The little ones will get through and end up on the road. I know the risk when I drive my car there, and I know the risk when I cycle there. It is miniscule.

!!!!

By comparison, just cycling through Camps Bay and Clifton to get there is many times more dangerous because of the much more hectic traffic. Riding from home to link up with the (safe) Millnerton cycle path is much more dangerous because of the traffic and armed bike jackings.

Chappies is safer on both counts. You make your choice, I know what I will do!

J∆kk∆ls

Dec 11, 2015, 2:58 PM

jakkals: why you remove the vid?

Mistake when editing post. But then I saw DJR commented (there by keeping it on the hub) so I left it. 

See you guys on Chappies this weekend  :thumbup:

lechatnoir

Dec 11, 2015, 4:47 PM

I'm not sure why this is suddenly a thing... that sign's been there for ages - since the fire actually. It stopped cyclists for a bit, but since then, not so much.

But, I still think it'll be easier to stop cyclists from riding than getting them to keep left and not abreast.  :whistling:

mazambaan

Dec 12, 2015, 4:56 AM

Hectic vid; that car driver must have needed new shorts.

I can't see any catch fence stopping that thing.  Even the roofed section could have a re-think.

porqui

Dec 12, 2015, 8:41 AM

Guy with a large red flag has been placed to flag you down - I just say I ride at my own risk but they think they cover themselves by having warned you with a flagwaving

man.

JannievanZyl

Dec 12, 2015, 2:59 PM

Do I understand the above correctly that you can cycle from Houtbay side up, but not down the Noordhoek side?

Or is it completely off limits?

Long Wheel Base

Dec 12, 2015, 3:29 PM

That people think they are safe inside their car baffles me !?!

Jeez!!!!!! Lol when he got out the car it looked like he was going to try push the rock. That is a fairly large chunk of a mountain.
DJR

Dec 12, 2015, 4:14 PM

Do I understand the above correctly that you can cycle from Houtbay side up, but not down the Noordhoek side?.................

That is correct. But Entilini has dragged it out for so long that most cyclists just ignore it and ride Chappies all the way!
raptor-22

Dec 13, 2015, 3:08 PM

The rock falls are exacerbated by vibration from motor vehicle traffic. But of coire closing the pass to motor vehicles means no revenue so the soft targets (pun intended) carry all the risk.

Pure Savage

Dec 14, 2015, 4:59 AM

The rock falls are exacerbated by vibration from motor vehicle traffic. But of coire closing the pass to motor vehicles means no revenue so the soft targets (pun intended) carry all the risk.

Interesting while the pass is closed for repairs Entelini actually make more money than when it's open. They would love to close it to "repair" it.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment