Events

PPA launches Stay Wider Of The Rider safe cycling campaign

· By Press Office · 52 comments

The number of cyclists and motorists on our roads are increasing each year. As of 2013, accidents involving motor vehicles and cyclists have increased by over 80% and statistics show that 40% of all road fatalities are vulnerable road users, including cyclists.

ccs-62657-0-69390600-1422445279.jpg

“The PPA’s primary role is to protect and empower cyclists. The PPA’s new STAY WIDER OF THE RIDER campaign that launches in February this year, will create maximum awareness amongst drivers that will hopefully lead to safer roads for our cyclists,” says Steve Hayward, chairman of the Pedal Power Association (PPA).

The Pedal Power Association, a Public Benefit Organisation with more than 18 000 members, launched the very successful ‘Cyclists Stay Alive at 1.5’ campaign back in 2011 which resulted in a 1 metre passing law which was promulgated in 2013 in the Western Cape. The PPA will continue to lobby for a 1.5 metre passing distance. The STAY WIDER OF THE RIDER campaign urges motorists to pass cyclists at a safe distance of at least 1 metre or more.

ccs-62657-0-13805500-1422445266.jpg

Statistics show that almost all cycling fatalities on our roads are caused by cyclists being hit by a motor vehicle from behind or when a vehicle underestimates the speed of a cyclist and turns in front of the cyclist. Cyclists have almost no protection when they are involved in an accident, so by giving them adequate space on the roads, motorists can avoid accidents that can cost precious lives.

“According to law, motorists are allowed to drive over the solid centre line of a two- way road in order to pass cyclists at the safe distance when the coast is clear,” says Hayward. Top South African celebrities DJ Fresh, Joel Stransky, Gugu Zulu, DJ Suga and Anne Siroky all support the campaign and will deliver a powerful message in support of safe cycling via the media.

Join thousands of supporters and pledge your support for the safe cycling campaign by applying the “Stay Wider of the Rider” bumper sticker to the back of your vehicle. “It is our responsibility as drivers to become more aware and tolerant of other road users,” says Hayward.

Visibility is a key issue that contributes towards cycling accidents on our roads. The new “Stay Wider of the Rider” safe cycling jerseys are highly visible and include the simple “Stay Wider of the Rider” message. Jerseys are available in men’s and ladies’ cuts at R 400 each from February 2015 from the PPA offices and other Cape Town Cycle Tour seeding events like the EP Herald in February. High visibility bibs with the “Stay Wider of the Rider” message will be available to cyclists who ride or commute in normal work clothes.

ccs-62657-0-46291100-1422445260.jpg

To coincide with the launch of the new initiative, the PPA is planning an Awareness Ride on Saturday 28 February at 6h30 am from Maiden’s Cove (Camp’s Bay) to Chapman’s Peak and back. “We urge all cyclists wanting a safer cycling environment to enter online and show their support for safe cycling in South Africa,” explains Rob Booth, chairman of the Safe Cycling Sub- Committee. “Enter online, pay for your jersey and join us for a great ride,” says Booth. Cyclists who purchase a “Stay Wider of the Rider” jersey and participate in this ride stand a chance to qualify for the exclusive and prestigious 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour Safe Cycling start group. Entries for the Awareness Ride open Monday 2 February 2015 – follow the link from PPA website at www.pedalpower.org.za.

“There can be no doubt that the time has come for action to make our roads safer for the cyclists of South Africa,” says Hayward. “The PPA constantly hears from cyclists across South Africa who feel unsafe on the roads due to poorly designed roads, aggressive driving or the lack of signage and safe cycling lanes.

“Cyclists need to remember that if they want motorists to respect them on the roads, they too have to obey the rules of the road and show respect towards motorists. “Using abusive language and rude gestures is just going to add fuel to the fire,” he said.

“Cycling is a valid form of transport. In too many cases cycling is treated as an optional extra to be added where there is enough ‘spare space’, Hayward said. “Let’s practise tolerance, respect and unity in order to be safer on the roads,” Hayward concluded.

Related posts

Comments

urbanroyal

Jan 28, 2015, 12:06 PM

Cool..I've ve noticed that when I wear the 1.5m PPA jersey then motorists tend to be more wary when passing.

droenn

Jan 28, 2015, 12:26 PM

Well I guess if they just drive everywhere they will stay wider than the rider  :w00t:

Dazshell

Jan 28, 2015, 2:17 PM

Quite a clever tweak to the old "Stay alive at 1.5" campaign given that the law in Cape Town is now only 1.0m gap.  Think I might just buy one of these.

G e r h a r d Odendaal

Jan 28, 2015, 4:13 PM

Cool..I've ve noticed that when I wear the 1.5m PPA jersey then motorists tend to be more wary when passing.

So you are a moving add for us cyclist, cool

GoLefty!!

Jan 28, 2015, 10:41 PM

Cycling jerseys don't enforce laws.

But this is a good awareness campaign.

floatfox

Jan 29, 2015, 5:01 AM

Great idea, thanks for putting in the effort for us.

fanievb

Jan 29, 2015, 7:15 AM

i'm going to need new stickers 

Gitfo

Jan 29, 2015, 9:11 AM

Got Yelow Bibs that will go just lovely with that shirt.

Icycling

Jan 29, 2015, 9:56 AM

Surely PPA should be advocating the highway code (an example below - not sure which country but I am sure all are more or less the same) and that is it?

http://www.highwaycode.info/using-the-road-159-to-203

If anything the slogan should be something on the line of cyclist stay alive when overtaking procedure are adhere to (RSA one’s below) or cyclist stay alive when vehicles overtake in separate lane (motorised or non motorised)

https://www.arrivealive.co.za/Safe-Overtaking-and-Road-Safety

1. Asking the question – Should I overtake?

Any driving movement can be considered with reference to the questions “Is it safe, legal and convenient?” A decision to overtake should start with the question "Do I really need to overtake"?

There is often very little advantage to be gained for the risk taken!
Only after answering “YES” to the following questions should you start to overtake:

Can I see far enough ahead to be sure it is safe?
Can I overtake without affecting any other vehicles' position or speed?
Am I able to pull back to my own side of the road in plenty of time after completing the manoeuvre?
Can I abandon the overtaking manoeuvre if another hazard comes into view?
Will I come into conflict with any other road user?
Will I end up making a third line of vehicles abreast at any point during the manoeuvre?
Will it be legal to overtake here?
 I would like to suggest that PPA did cyclist a disservice by the slogan at 1.5 cyclist stay alive and rather should have got Government to enforce the rules of the road as they stood! What I believe PPA should doing in campaigning that cyclist may ride 2 abreast (we the only country in the world where this in not legal) - riding 2 abreast should have no impact on the way motorist overtake a single or 2 abreast cyclist if the overtaking procedure are stuck too by the motorist. Then on a more sensitive issue and some country / states have made it legal - PPA should be campaigning for cyclist to be allowed to go through red robots when it is safe to do so.

Icycling

Jan 29, 2015, 12:40 PM

http://www.highwaycode.info/images/hc_rule_163_give_vulnerable_road_users_at_least_as_much_space_as_you_would_a_car.jpg

carbon29er

Feb 5, 2015, 8:52 AM

I would like to suggest that PPA did cyclist a disservice by the slogan at 1.5 cyclist stay alive and rather should have got Government to enforce the rules of the road as they stood! What I believe PPA should doing in campaigning that cyclist may ride 2 abreast (we the only country in the world where this in not legal) - riding 2 abreast should have no impact on the way motorist overtake a single or 2 abreast cyclist if the overtaking procedure are stuck too by the motorist. Then on a more sensitive issue and some country / states have made it legal - PPA should be campaigning for cyclist to be allowed to go through red robots when it is safe to do so.

National Road Traffic Act, 1996 (Act No. 93 of 1996) stipulates, inter alia, that vehicles may only be adjacent to another vehicle when overtaking and that all vehicles must obey at traffic signals,

In terms of the act a pedal cycle is classified as a vehicle.

While there is plenty of research to suggest it is safer for cyclists to ride 2 abreast as it primarily reduces overtaking distances, the Act does not allow this practice.  Ironically it is illegal for a motor vehicle to pass cyclists riding 2 abreast as if they are overtaking.

Unfortunately there is a large amount of ignorance in the community surrounding the rules of the road regarding other road users as well as a lack of tolerance by both motorists and cyclists of one another.  Compounding this is the willful disregard of some of the basic laws of the road by cyclists, such as stopping a red traffic lights at busy intersections and not indicating intentions.  As much as we don't respect some of the laws, our deliberate flaunting of them does reduce our credibility when we request tolerance from motorists.  While it is no excuse to endanger the life of a cyclist because he didn't obey the rules of the road, we must be seen as being respectful of other road users if we are to be taken seriously.  Let's remove this from the motorists' arsenal against us.

The PPA #staywider campaign is aimed at changing the mindset of the community enabling better laws that protect all road users. The criminal justice system in SA cannot cope with enforcement alone, we need acceptance by the community to effect change,

Wez-O

Feb 5, 2015, 9:00 AM

Motorists need to be educated and the law enforced... Easier said than done though.

Dazshell

Feb 5, 2015, 9:12 AM

I popped in to PPA yesterday on the way to the airport back to Durban yesterday to look at the new shirts. 

Very nice!  Good quality and nice slim fit.  Sizing is a bit on the small side (your will need to get 1 size up from your normal shirt size) but they look very cool.  Bought 1 for each of the 5 of us in my morning training group.

The yellow is not the same as the old 1.5m shorts.  It is now a Lumo yello.

Guest Smimby

Feb 5, 2015, 9:15 AM

Wish they would launch "cyclist are required by LAW to ride on the road" and not on the "pavement"

Eldron

Feb 5, 2015, 9:20 AM

I like the campaign - mainly because I don't believe you can use laws to affect people's attitudes.

You can add as many laws as you like but a twat will remain a twat.

Give me 100 "stay wider of the rider" campaigns over 1 times 1.5m rule any day.

Barker

Feb 5, 2015, 10:37 AM

laws will always be broken...and in this country they cant even enforce the real important laws...never mind traffic laws and unfortunately when a cyclist is hit it is probably more due to the cyclist or driver not concentrating for that split second.

I was going down a main road with my bike, 2 lanes in each direction. Was doing 30kph+- with my bright yellow helmet, reflective clothing, flashing lights on front of bike, flashing lights on helmet and flashing rear light on bike when a car from the oncoming traffic turned over the lanes right in front of me to try and get to a petrol station...After a second that felts like at least a minute of braking and swerving i slowed down but still hit the car. The driver was really nice and apologised and simply said he didn't see me... now i ask you what else can you do...

It unfortunately comes down to how our brain works. The driver is looking for other cars on the road and not bicycles and his brain filters out that which is not looking for without him realising it.

Have a look at this link.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2011/12/14/if-you-cant-notice-a-gorilla-how-the-heck-can-you-testify-as-a-witness/#.VNNHbf6Ud8E

Lappies38

Mar 9, 2015, 7:37 AM

Glad to see there is still campaigns aiming to keep "us" safe, but it doesnt help if were not vissible, and showing the motorist community that were also aware of them, and that we want the cyclist and the motorist to be safe- just my 2 cents on this.

Patchelicious

Mar 9, 2015, 7:39 AM

All the pictures I saw of the these guys looked like this:

GoLefty!!

Mar 9, 2015, 7:44 AM

ok so that pic is taken in Sea Point just before a My Citi bus stop. I went home the same way yesterday and had a similar issue with cyclist BUT I didn't get annoyed nor did it annoy me. WHY?

Because that road is is narrow and when  car tries to overtake they force into the parked cars.

When they do this you on the bicycle are a moving target for drivers wanting to pull out of driveways.

Driving home along that section, I encountered many littlegroups of riders doing this.

Funny thing is, because I was PATIENT and WAITD FOR A SAFE PLACE TO PASS, the drivers behind me FOLLOWED MY LEAD....

ya nuh, so be the change you want to see...

Pure Savage

Mar 9, 2015, 7:51 AM

ok so that pic is taken in Sea Point just before a My Citi bus stop. I went home the same way yesterday and had a similar issue with cyclist BUT I didn't get annoyed nor did it annoy me. WHY?

Because that road is is narrow and when  car tries to overtake they force into the parked cars.

When they do this you on the bicycle are a moving target for drivers wanting to pull out of driveways.

Driving home along that section, I encountered many littlegroups of riders doing this.

Funny thing is, because I was PATIENT and WAITD FOR A SAFE PLACE TO PASS, the drivers behind me FOLLOWED MY LEAD....

ya nuh, so be the change you want to see...

Wish everyone has this attitude. The truth is on that road even if you are single file there is no space for a car to pass. SA drivers will want to squeeze past, and that's where the accidents happen.

Same when I drive and its not safe to pass on roads like this, I will sit and wait behind the cyclist until its safe to pass, much to the dismay of the other road users behind me.

droo

Mar 9, 2015, 7:54 AM

Not sure if this is the place for it, but I have a bit of a rant this morning:

The number of riders I saw on my ride home from the finish yesterday jumping lights was beyond ridiculous. And a good many of them were wearing 1.5m and wider of the rider jerseys.

How, in the name of all that is logical, do they expect motorists to respect their loudly and luminously proclaimed calls for respect and tolerance on the roads when they can't be arsed to obey the most basic of rules? Especially on a day when half of Cape Town is shut down by the tour? All they're doing is making giant luminous yellow targets of themselves, as reflected by many otherwise reasonable people on my facebook feed.

Fortunately, now that the Funride World Champs is done for the year, I'll be back in my natural habitat in the mountains so it won't be my problem, except on my 10 minute commute to work in the mornings. But I feel sorry for the law abiding ones who will no doubt be abused and / or flattened by motorists who have had this attitude in spades.

Patchelicious

Mar 9, 2015, 8:00 AM

The number of riders I saw on my ride home from the finish yesterday jumping lights was beyond ridiculous. And a good many of them were wearing 1.5m and wider of the rider jerseys.

How, in the name of all that is logical, do they expect motorists to respect their loudly and luminously proclaimed calls for respect and tolerance on the roads when they can't be arsed to obey the most basic of rules? Especially on a day when half of Cape Town is shut down by the tour? All they're doing is making giant luminous yellow targets of themselves, as reflected by many otherwise reasonable people on my facebook feed.

Fortunately, now that the Funride World Champs is done for the year, I'll be back in my natural habitat in the mountains so it won't be my problem, except on my 10 minute commute to work in the mornings. But I feel sorry for the law abiding ones who will no doubt be abused and / or flattened by motorists who have had this attitude in spades.

This

DJR

Mar 9, 2015, 8:10 AM

After the Argus I rode home along Main Road towards the Southern Suburbs and obeyed every traffic law, including red traffic lights and riding single file. We used front and rear flashing lights and the whole team wore the "Stay Wider of the Rider" shirts. We felt making a point by obeying the law was the least we could do to say thank you for having the City Centre and the M3 all to ourselves for the day!

Several groups came past, some dressed up in red, riding like they had a death wish. :thumbdown:  I sometimes think they deserve to have their wish fulfilled. We have to get our fellow cyclists to change their attitudes first.

Safety, like charity, must start at home. :)  

(Deon)

Mar 9, 2015, 8:20 AM

It's a really tough topic, nobody whether motorist or cyclist wants to be told they are in the wrong.

Looks like the campaign possibly needs to be aimed a bit closer to home first. Not only PPA but the critical and moonlight mass et al too.

You find quite often a very clever defence is thrown back at any criticism of the way the events are run, basically without instruction or user education. Seemingly nothing more than.. "Here's your shirt." or "We leave at 8.." and then it's left up to personal responsibility from that point - and we all know how much of that is going around!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment