Events

PPA negotiates partial opening of Chapman’s Peak for cyclists

· By Press Office · 48 comments

The Pedal Power Association is committed to promote cycling and the interests of cyclists in South Africa. Through the Safe Cycling campaign, PPA aims to create an environment conducive to the safety of all cyclists on the road.

The MEC for Transport, Donald Grant, consulted earlier this week with the PPA Safe Cycling sub-committee after Chapman’s Peak Drive was closed following the extensive fires last week, with fears for the safety of the ‘vulnerable’ road users such as cyclists, pedestrians and runners from possible rock falls in this very unstable area.

The fires caused extensive damage to the mountain side on the sections to the south of the look-out. The Hout Bay side is less damaged and there is no increased safety risk.

It was initially proposed that the entire Chapman’s Peak remains closed to cyclists until full rehabilitation has taken place.

After consultation, it was agreed that only the southern side of Chapman’s Peak drive (from Noordhoek to the look-out point) will be closed to cyclists. Cyclists will therefore be able to cycle from Hout Bay to the look-out point and back, but will not be able to cycle all the way to Noordhoek until the pass is deemed safe again.

New Jersey barriers are being deployed in risk areas, particularly on the Noordhoek side, resulting in reduction of road width. “We appeal to all cyclists to heed the dangers that the southern side of Chapman’s Peak poses and to assist the authorities to keep the northern section open for cycling,” said PPA Chairman Steve Hayward.

The PPA ‘Stay Wider of the Rider’ campaign which was launched two weeks ago, urges cyclists to support safe cycling by obeying the rules of the road whilst motorists are asked to give cyclists a wide berth when passing them.

“Cyclists are now given the opportunity to prove that they too can obey the rules of the road by accepting the temporary closure of the southern side of Chapman’s Peak Drive. Become responsible cyclists, spread the word amongst other cyclists to obey the rules of the road and please do not cycle on this stretch of road which can potentially be fatal,” Hayward said.

*Currently the Tokai bike route is also closed

Related posts

Comments

flymango

Mar 12, 2015, 5:23 AM

Fantastic news. Spare a thought though for the "coffee economy" in Noordhoek (e.g. Cafe Roux). Those establishments are going to lose a lot of patrons for a long time!!

eddy

Mar 12, 2015, 5:58 AM

Fantastic news. !!

Nope, in my opinion bad news. The fire damage has either made it dangerous for all road users or not.

My cynical nature suspects that "vulnerable" cyclists are not being protected from "rockfalls" but rather that motorists are being protected from irritating cyclists.

Once we accept that cyclists are so "vulnerable" that they need prohibition to protect them, we are halfway down the slippery slope that leads to banning.

Cyclists will always be vulnerable on the Southern side of Chapmans because the narrow road and tight corners mean that cyclist and long busses cannot share the road without any risk.

The fact that cyclists have been banned from only one side, rather than both is being sold as good news rather than what it really is. A road used by cyclists has been closed to them.

Cog Masher

Mar 12, 2015, 6:06 AM

Does this apply to runners and pedestrians too...

DJR

Mar 12, 2015, 6:09 AM

When I went up there yesterday, the guard at the look-out point told me that a cyclist was injured earlier in the day by a rock falling on him and that he was taken to hospital. Not sure about the accuracy of this. Can anyone confirm?

If I look at the total devastation on the Hout Bay side, I can well imagine that there will be many loos bits ready to come down that will either have to be cleaned up manually, like they did before, or else washed down in the first heavy rains. There is absolutely NO vegetation left to hold the earth together. It is burnt from within metres of the Hout Bay houses, right into the houses on the Noordhoek side and right rom the beach all the way to the summit. The place look like Mordor (so the youngsters can understand) or Delville Wood (so the oldies can understand) after the battle of the Somme. A raw wound in the earth if ever I saw one.

post-17716-0-84504800-1426140438_thumb.jpg

DJR

Mar 12, 2015, 6:09 AM

Yes!

carbon29er

Mar 12, 2015, 6:10 AM

Yes, no walking/running on the south side.

Reg Lizard

Mar 12, 2015, 6:19 AM

From what I understand an indeminity sign will be going up at Chapman's Peak :whistling:  While officials where out there inspecting the route the other day, they cautioned cyclist going up there that the road was closed...gues what Mr Cyclist continued and gave them the "up yours sign"...that is very dissapointing :thumbdown:

carbon29er

Mar 12, 2015, 6:29 AM

Nope, in my opinion bad news. The fire damage has either made it dangerous for all road users or not.

My cynical nature suspects that "vulnerable" cyclists are not being protected from "rockfalls" but rather that motorists are being protected from irritating cyclists.

Once we accept that cyclists are so "vulnerable" that they need prohibition to protect them, we are halfway down the slippery slope that leads to banning.

Cyclists will always be vulnerable on the Southern side of Chapmans because the narrow road and tight corners mean that cyclist and long busses cannot share the road without any risk.

The fact that cyclists have been banned from only one side, rather than both is being sold as good news rather than what it really is. A road used by cyclists has been closed to them.

I cannot agree with you. What is good news is that, through consultation and compromise, we were able to keep the most used side of Chappies open.  Not an ideal situation but at least riders can still get close to a 50 km ride from Beach Road.  But it affects those wanting to do a loop. My self included and Constantia Nek from Hout Bay is probably the least attractive ride I can imagine.

The damage on the south side is a lot worse than on the north side and the safety issue is compounded by the difference in the engineering on the 2 sides. The area before and after the half tunnel is very difficult to retain and has lost all vegetation. There is nothing to stop rocks reaching the road once they start moving.

As you say it's not good news that we can use the north side, what would you rather have? The complete closure of Chappies to cyclists, walkers and runners as recommended by the engineers?  As has happened at Tokai and will soon be followed at Jonkershoek and other fire ravaged areas.

DJR

Mar 12, 2015, 6:35 AM

It's a classic glass half full: glass half empty situation! Just remember to drink what you can get. :)

carbon29er

Mar 12, 2015, 6:41 AM

From what I understand an indeminity sign will be going up at Chapman's Peak :whistling:  While officials where out there inspecting the route the other day, they cautioned cyclist going up there that the road was closed...gues what Mr Cyclist continued and gave them the "up yours sign"...that is very dissapointing :thumbdown:

That was mentioned by the authorities as a reason not to have cyclists on Chappies at all.

As a cycling community we need to take the lead and eradicate riders who hold us back by flouting the rules and respect for access.

Chappies and Tokai, until reopened, will be added to the Rouge Rider programme http://www.amarider.co.za/Amarider/siteContent.php?cid=194. Only the saddest and loneliest of riders are not known by someone who rides, as a community we can police ourselves to discourage those who give the "up yours" and threaten all our access.

DJR

Mar 12, 2015, 7:08 AM

Think I'll post this half toasted sign at the Hout Bay side of Chappies, just to clear up some of those rules......

post-17716-0-71806000-1426144083_thumb.jpg

Pure Savage

Mar 12, 2015, 7:32 AM

What if your only transport to work is on a bike? You must now climb constania nek and ou Kaapse weg? When we train there in the morning we see a lot of people that can not afford to jump in a car and go through chappies. PPA has thought about recreational cyclists and not those that rely on it for actual bike transport.

How about motorists start obeying the traffic laws and not exceeding the 40km/h speed limit?

DJR

Mar 12, 2015, 7:34 AM

.....How about motorists start obeying the traffic laws and not exceeding the 40km/h speed limit?

....20 km/h in parts :mellow:

Cog Masher

Mar 12, 2015, 7:45 AM

What happens to commuter cyclists who use that route? There should be some sort of shuttle service then if you want them to abide by the rules.

Is a cyclist not classed as a "vehicle" on the road?? Runners and walkers are classed as "Pedestrians". Why are we now treated as vulnerable road users due to restricted road width? Clovelly road works is a classic case of restricted road width and cyclists still have access. We dont want to go down that road (excuse the pun) because the precedence will be set for many other situations to exclude cyclists from deemed "unsafe areas".

If it is unsafe then it is unsafe and should be closed to all road users!!

porqui

Mar 12, 2015, 7:58 AM

This is nonsense it is either safe for all or safe for none.

If a rock comes down it matters not if you are a cyclist or motorist - you are stuffed!!

I lost my neighbour on Chapmans Peak many years ago - rock fell on his car - he was killed instantly and his wife next to him was not even scratched.

You do not determine the size, height above road or vicinity of where a rock is going to fall.

Open the pass for all or none.

DJR

Mar 12, 2015, 8:18 AM

I would MUCH rather be in the car when a 10kg rock falls on me. With a 10 ton rock, it would make no difference. There are many more loose 10kg rocks than 10 ton rocks. The nets are designed to catch larger rocks, but smaller bits will go through. A 1 kg bit from 100 m up will injure a cyclist badly but just give a driver a big fright. There is a clear difference on this road and at this time on the likelihood of injury from rock falls between cyclists and cars.

If I had to put my own signature on the document opening the Noordhoek side to cyclists, I would also want to clear the loose rock first. That will have to be done manually with rope access teams. The point being, that Entilini has to be able to show that they did everything reasonable to minimise the risk, even though there will always be a risk.

Just my logic (I'm not a road engineer) .

porqui

Mar 12, 2015, 8:29 AM

DJR I hear you but

Any rock as large as a rugby ball I do not want to be there in a car or a bike.

Tomik

Mar 12, 2015, 9:03 AM

Guys, believe me, it IS for your own safety. Was up there this morning on my bike (the guard said good morning and waved us through) and the slopes do not look safe. The rocks look proper loose and will be worse after some rain.

Why can't people just obey the rules and stop abusing those that try to enforce them? We were stopped at the stop-go on the way down and the guy there said they often get shouted at by cyclists to let them go through. Really guys? Just put Strava on pause and enjoy the rest.

J∆kk∆ls

Mar 12, 2015, 9:56 AM

Beach road to hout bay...hill repeat Suikerbossie...cycle home! 

It is a pity that such a beautiful route was devastated by fire, but there is still loads of good riding in the area. 

Plus, using Ou Kaapse Weg is not ideal, but OMG you guys are going to get so strong! BONUS 

CleatsnCleavage

Mar 12, 2015, 6:42 PM

Even worse, the release is so badly written the introductory paragraph should be the final closing one. 

Boerklong

Mar 12, 2015, 7:18 PM

It will all make sense once somebody dies. Carry on boys...

Andy K

Mar 14, 2015, 10:42 AM

Is the hout bay side of chappies closed to cyclists? I rode there today with intention of heading to lookout point and doing a repeat or two. When I stopped at the bottom to take arm warmers off the electronic board said "falling rocks, no cyclists". I decided not to take the risk and turned around- there were plenty of guys who did head up and plenty coming back down..

Starvin' Marvin

Mar 14, 2015, 2:16 PM

I would MUCH rather be in the car when a 10kg rock falls on me. With a 10 ton rock, it would make no difference. There are many more loose 10kg rocks than 10 ton rocks. The nets are designed to catch larger rocks, but smaller bits will go through. A 1 kg bit from 100 m up will injure a cyclist badly but just give a driver a big fright. There is a clear difference on this road and at this time on the likelihood of injury from rock falls between cyclists and cars. If I had to put my own signature on the document opening the Noordhoek side to cyclists, I would also want to clear the loose rock first. That will have to be done manually with rope access teams. The point being, that Entilini has to be able to show that they did everything reasonable to minimise the risk, even though there will always be a risk. Just my logic (I'm not a road engineer) .

1kg rock from 100m will kill a cyclist.

porqui

Mar 14, 2015, 2:40 PM

1kg rock from 100m will kill a cyclist.

It's not going to do less damage when it comes through a windscreen of a car.

A rock does not choose where it falls.

It was not Entilini's decision to have the pass closed for cyclists.

The decision was a call by PPA and Donald Grant (mec for transport)

I spoke to management at Etilini on Friday afternoon.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment