Events

PPA warns cyclists not to use Paarden Island cycle lane after latest attack

· By Press Office · 70 comments

The Pedal Power Association has issued a warning to cyclists to not use the Paarden Island cycle lane after the recent spate of muggings, with the latest mugging taking place earlier today. Capetonian Maon Saxe was apprehended by three men and knocked off his bike. They grabbed his bicycle and phone and ran.

ccs-58780-0-93506000-1480510621.jpg

Three pedestrians on their way to work assisted Saxe after hearing his shouts. They managed to retrieve his bicycle, but the perpetrators got away with his phone. Saxe fortunately sustained only some bruises on his arm. He said the area is not safe, even when riding with others.

Earlier today PPA CEO Robert Vogel said that the Association has on several occasions within the past year raised their concerns about the safety of cyclists using the cycle lane with the City of Cape Town. “We are aware of all the muggings, as well as the killing of a vagrant on the cycle path. We urge cyclists to not use the cycle lane until the security issue has been addressed,” Vogel said.

“We have sent correspondence and raised the issue in meetings with the City of Cape Town, including the TCT section, as well as with councilor Brett Herron. We are very concerned about the safety of cyclists on this route. We recommend that the City of Cape Town close the route until a workable solution is found.”

Amongst others, the Association has recommended to the City of Cape Town to warn the public about the potential dangers of using the cycle path before entering the cycle path. As a long-term solution, the Association recommends re-routing the cycle lane through the Harbour.

“Millions have been spent on the cycling lanes in and around the City of Cape Town and it is important to ensure the safety of cyclists who make use of it,” Vogel concluded.

Related posts

Comments

Skubarra

Nov 30, 2016, 1:03 PM

What is the best alternative to get to cape town on your bicycle - the harbour as stated in the article? Are we allowed to cycle through there?

Pure Savage

Nov 30, 2016, 1:07 PM

Doesnt everyone just ride the marine drive then N1? No point going through dodgeville.

Cog Masher

Nov 30, 2016, 1:09 PM

Time to stand up and take back our city.

Pure Savage

Nov 30, 2016, 1:15 PM

What is the best alternative to get to cape town on your bicycle - the harbour as stated in the article? Are we allowed to cycle through there?

The harbour security will not let you in. We have tried this and been sent away rather viciously.

Wannabe

Nov 30, 2016, 1:21 PM

Wonder what the backlash will be if a cyclists retaliates and injures or even kill one of these lowlifes?

Hairy

Nov 30, 2016, 1:25 PM

If the city of cape town closes down the route they had better provide and alternative!

We commute daily, come rain or shine and I for one am reliant on that route to get to work and back. I can fall back on the MyCity bus, but then I loose so much more time in the day and then also have to spend R600.00 additionally a month to get to work and back ... something not really budgeted for or a need to spend money on.

We formed a What'sApp group back in 2012 to co-ordinate a few regular riders to meet and ride through that particular stretch which at that stage was already highlighted as a high crime zone. The group is at 40 members now, with the vast majority of riders joining via word of mouth or from meeting us on the cycle lane.

In the group we have a good few riders who have had attempted muggings....they got lucky.

Personally I have met many other riders who have been mugged on the route, personally assisted a Canadian tourist who was mugged and bleeding. The last time the City really did any thing was when a councilor (can't recall who it was) got mugged on that specific stretch, with his body guard in tow (Now I know what you are thinking, why can't we all have body guards with us on our bikes). I crossed through the broken fence where he noted the muggers had gone with his bag and his passport that he needed back urgently as he was flying out the country in a day or two, found a big bush across the railway line that had numerous bags that have been turned out lying about.....so this was clearly a gathering point.

Outside of this, within the group there have been many appeals to the local authorities RE safety on this section, us reporting broken fences that remained broken for months and allowing access from the N1 across to the rail way lines. There have been some letters of intention, but no real action.

So how can we resolve this. Bear in mind we can't have Metro sitting on this stretch 24/7, there are also other areas in the CT region that are in dire need of safety and security. 

The whole stretch from the N1 bridge till into town has seen a big increase in vagrants living there, with shelters that have been in place for some time now.

The railway also needs to take responsibility for securing the access from the rail way line and into the cycle lane from trespassers.

Does the local cycling community club together to fund a private security company to patrol this section from early morning to late evening?

IF this route is close, I agree the city at least allows free access for cyclists through the harbour until they can resolve the safety issue on this particular section of the lanes.

What was not mentioned in the article above, was that the security confirmed with the rider who was mugged, that in that week another person was also mugged.

With respect to the stabbing on the cycle lane. That was on a Tues/Wed if I recall correctly. That weekend leading to the stabbing, a senior manager from the City of Cape Town was mugged at knife point on that same section where all the muggings have been taking place.

Patchelicious

Nov 30, 2016, 1:26 PM

Just a suggestion, why doesn't the PPA lobby to make the place safer, rather than advise people to avoid it?

Rerouting the paths just sounds like a pavers dream tender and doesn't solve the criminal element.

Pure Savage

Nov 30, 2016, 1:28 PM

Just a suggestion, why doesn't the PPA lobby to make the place safer, rather than advise people to avoid it?

Rerouting the paths just sounds like a pavers dream tender and doesn't solve the criminal element.

They are making a plea to authorities to do so, in the mean time everyone should avoid area and use other routes.

Hairy

Nov 30, 2016, 1:28 PM

Doesnt everyone just ride the marine drive then N1? No point going through dodgeville.

That N1 stretch leaves you dealing with fast moving and often reckless drivers.

Lost some skin on that section many years ago when a pedestrian walking on the side of the road with his back to us decided to jump into the middle of the road, and right into me.......... we were going fast!

Pure Savage

Nov 30, 2016, 1:30 PM

Wonder what the backlash will be if a cyclists retaliates and injures or even kill one of these lowlifes?

Nobody would know, law enforcement dont go there...

Hairy

Nov 30, 2016, 1:34 PM

Nobody would know, law enforcement dont go there...

Metro have on the odd day had a car parked at the end of the lane near the N1 bridge .... but patrols are very rare.

A few years ago there was a group of Metro guys on bicycles on the lane.... they were active and then started vanishing. .... so I asked the one when I met him again and his reply was that their bikes were always in for repairs.......

Then there was a conversation with a Metro cop who rides a motorbike, he was not happy when the route expansion came about. He was doing a ridiculous amount of mileage a day, and was not able to properly patrol the bus routes...then to add insult to injury, the Metro management wanted to know by him why his mileage was so high and were going to investigate ... he was very open that they could go and view he GPS tracker on his bike,

Hairy

Nov 30, 2016, 1:37 PM

sorry if I am ranting, but this effects me directly and am at a point where I need to vent my frustration.

Hamstring

Nov 30, 2016, 1:40 PM

is the N1 not slow moving in the AM and PM?

Hairy

Nov 30, 2016, 1:45 PM

is the N1 not slow moving in the AM and PM?

Define slow......

The N1 in my mind is very dangerous, the best alternative would be the harbour.

stringbean

Nov 30, 2016, 1:58 PM

If I commute I usually go N1 but I usually leave at 5am

I find you have to hit N 1 before 6 am otherwise traffic is insane.

RustyHWR

Nov 30, 2016, 1:59 PM

Harbour is not safe at AM and PM. That is when the container trucks pre-draw and off load. You will not be allowed in at the booms of harbour entrance without a permit. If you use the N1 you will have to go over the Paarden Island bridge that is very narrow and dangerous.

Hairy

Nov 30, 2016, 2:01 PM

Harbour is not safe at AM and PM. That is when the container trucks pre-draw and off load. You will not be allowed in at the booms of harbour entrance without a permit. If you use the N1 you will have to go over the Paarden Island bridge that is very narrow and dangerous.

seems like there is a no win situation here

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-fsdwIoMZi8/TUOP5Jwl65I/AAAAAAAAAts/APnUJveForw/s1600/screwed.jpg

JJACK

Nov 30, 2016, 2:02 PM

seems like there is a no win situation here

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-fsdwIoMZi8/TUOP5Jwl65I/AAAAAAAAAts/APnUJveForw/s1600/screwed.jpg

We need these guys!!

https://youtu.be/O_yAhne7jFo

Stoffies1

Nov 30, 2016, 2:03 PM

I do every day...Marine drive then on the N1 for no less than 1km turn left past the old breweries and into town.

Stoffies1

Nov 30, 2016, 2:06 PM

If the city of cape town closes down the route they had better provide and alternative!

We commute daily, come rain or shine and I for one am reliant on that route to get to work and back. I can fall back on the MyCity bus, but then I loose so much more time in the day and then also have to spend R600.00 additionally a month to get to work and back ... something not really budgeted for or a need to spend money on.

We formed a What'sApp group back in 2012 to co-ordinate a few regular riders to meet and ride through that particular stretch which at that stage was already highlighted as a high crime zone. The group is at 40 members now, with the vast majority of riders joining via word of mouth or from meeting us on the cycle lane.

In the group we have a good few riders who have had attempted muggings....they got lucky.

Personally I have met many other riders who have been mugged on the route, personally assisted a Canadian tourist who was mugged and bleeding. The last time the City really did any thing was when a councilor (can't recall who it was) got mugged on that specific stretch, with his body guard in tow (Now I know what you are thinking, why can't we all have body guards with us on our bikes). I crossed through the broken fence where he noted the muggers had gone with his bag and his passport that he needed back urgently as he was flying out the country in a day or two, found a big bush across the railway line that had numerous bags that have been turned out lying about.....so this was clearly a gathering point.

Outside of this, within the group there have been many appeals to the local authorities RE safety on this section, us reporting broken fences that remained broken for months and allowing access from the N1 across to the rail way lines. There have been some letters of intention, but no real action.

So how can we resolve this. Bear in mind we can't have Metro sitting on this stretch 24/7, there are also other areas in the CT region that are in dire need of safety and security. 

The whole stretch from the N1 bridge till into town has seen a big increase in vagrants living there, with shelters that have been in place for some time now.

The railway also needs to take responsibility for securing the access from the rail way line and into the cycle lane from trespassers.

Does the local cycling community club together to fund a private security company to patrol this section from early morning to late evening?

IF this route is close, I agree the city at least allows free access for cyclists through the harbour until they can resolve the safety issue on this particular section of the lanes.

What was not mentioned in the article above, was that the security confirmed with the rider who was mugged, that in that week another person was also mugged.

With respect to the stabbing on the cycle lane. That was on a Tues/Wed if I recall correctly. That weekend leading to the stabbing, a senior manager from the City of Cape Town was mugged at knife point on that same section where all the muggings have been taking place.

Is the whatsapp group still active? I have gravel grinder and I'm keen to do some riding before work road or dirt.

I was mugged on the cycle route just over a year ago. Avoid the area at all costs. I ride marine drive then N1 for a short distance left past the old breweries & then cycle into town.

devocean

Nov 30, 2016, 2:18 PM

I do every day...Marine drive then on the N1 for no less than 1km turn left past the old breweries and into town.

Same here, I find traffic is backed up and moving slowly along marine drive and N1 until like 9am. Same thing with going home before 6pm. Worst case scenario, you ride on that little single track next to that N1 section with no shoulder (it's fine on a road bike) until to you get onto marine drive.

Hairy

Nov 30, 2016, 2:24 PM

Is the whatsapp group still active? I have gravel grinder and I'm keen to do some riding before work road or dirt.

I was mugged on the cycle route just over a year ago. Avoid the area at all costs. I ride marine drive then N1 for a short distance left past the old breweries & then cycle into town.

It is yes.

Group leaves the Vet opposite Bayside 6:45am and leaves town from the Rail way lodge (at the start of the cycle lane in town) at 5:15pm.

Drop me a PM and we can chat RE cell no's etc.

Tubehunter

Nov 30, 2016, 2:28 PM

I rode on the N1 for 8 years before the lanes were even an option. If I have to ride out that way and I'm not specifically meeting someone on the path before the hotspot, I still prefer riding the N1. It 'feels' safer. 

I still cannot phathom why the cycle path goes through this section! Whoever the planner was who did this clearly did not get any feedback from the user group who he designed this for! There is nothing they can do given the way the setup is under the N1 to increase traffic flow and eyes on the area to increase safety. With the new squatters moving in, it'll only degenerate more and faster!

If you're heading towards town from Tableview, the cycle path should carry on straight past Steven Johnson cars on that verge all the way past the harbour against the fence into the bottom of town. Problem solved. 

Chavo

Nov 30, 2016, 2:29 PM

Let me get this straight...CToC invests millions in building a cycle path to offer a "safe" alternative mode of transport into the City and its surrounds. The cycle path then becomes a hotspot for muggings (in one area) and a crack down has never truly worked since nothing has changed over many years. The solution to all this is to close the path and call it unsafe?!

I appreciate resources are stretched but applying this logic elsewhere would suggest that Metrorail's solution to the vandalism and muggings on trains is to close the service as it is "unsafe". I realise this is an extreme example but perhaps you get my drift as this really is logistically not possible. 

Why suggest removing a legitimate form of transport for those, who perhaps form a minority, because crime cannot be controlled? If recommending that the path be avoided then provide an alternative at the same time, don't just "close" it and say 'pffft, good luck in finding a way into town by bicycle now'. This whole thing makes me bleak. Alternatives besides the cycle path are few and far between for me and while I try meet up with other groups (such as Hairy's), I don't often manage to sync with them so I end up solo. 

I wish the only challenge on the cycle path was the south easter. This is lame and frustrating  :cursing:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment