Events

Greg Minnaar joins Rush Sports

· By Press Office · 31 comments

International mountain bike racing legend, Greg Minnaar, has joined South African-based bicycle industry wholesaler, Rush Sports, as a director.

ccs-62657-0-49696400-1479478271.jpgThree-time world champion, Greg Minnaar, has joined South African-based cycle industry distribution company, Rush Sports, as a director. Photo credit: Gary Perkin/flipper

Minnaar, who begins his 18th professional downhill racing season in 2017, will play an advisory role in the company initially, using his international contacts and experience to help grow the company’s product range and reach.

“We are very pleased to have Greg join Rush Sports as a director. While he’s seen largely as a racing legend, he’s accumulated a wealth of product and industry knowledge in his almost two decades of international competition and travel,” said Andre van Aarde, Rush Sports Managing Director.

“We have ambitious growth plans for Rush Sports and Greg’s presence and input as a director will be highly valuable to the business. Greg is more than just a talented, committed bike racer, he is constantly in tune with the technology and trends of mountain biking and we believe he will offer a lot in terms of guidance and advice,” added Van Aarde.

“I’m excited to join Rush Sports. It’s a company that’s been around for some time but has adapted better than most to the changing business patterns in the bicycle industry, both internationally and in Southern Africa,” said Minnaar.

“I intend to be racing for a good few years still and am super motivated for the 2017 season with Santa Cruz Syndicate. But I have reached a point where I feel I need additional goals and the directorship with Rush Sports allows me to focus on new objectives within the industry that I’m so passionate about,” he added.

ccs-62657-0-09701700-1479478272.jpgPhoto credit: Gary Perkin/flipper.

One of the brands that Rush Sports distributes in South Africa, is Maxxis, which has been a sponsor of Minnaar’s since 2003.

“We have a very strong relationship with Greg as an athlete. As one of the greatest mountain bike racers of all time, he offers the Maxxis brand the highest level of endorsement. With Greg joining Rush Sports we will be able to expand our relationship from the racing side and into the business side, which is exciting for us as South Africa is a key market for the Maxxis brand,” said Ryan Huang, Maxxis International Sales.

“We have been mindful of the changes to the business landscape in the cycling market, particularly over the past 18 months and have always looked for ways to make Rush Sports as current and relevant as possible. With Greg on board as a decision maker, we intend to ensure we continue along that path, but with more international focus, particularly in other developing markets,” added Van Aarde.

For more about Rush Sports, visit www.rushsports.co.za. For more about Greg Minnaar, visit www.gregminnaar.com.

Related posts

Comments

Bizkit031

Nov 18, 2016, 6:22 AM

Saw this this morning as well,I think it's a good choice from his side and Rush sports has really done well since they stopped selling online.It can only become better with Mr Min's input and status.

GLuvsMtb

Nov 18, 2016, 6:23 AM

I think its great that he wishes to continue the relationship with a brand that he has been involved with for so long. I'm not a big fan of Maxxis tyres, but having Greg more involved at Rush Sports will surely create some interest.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Nov 18, 2016, 6:29 AM

That's brilliant news. 

rock

Nov 18, 2016, 7:24 AM

Brandon Els back in the bike game? He did big things for Probike and convinced a lot of people that Raleigh's were cool.

How long util they start distributing Santa Cruz?

Ryanpmb

Nov 18, 2016, 7:35 AM

How long until they start distributing Santa Cruz?

Therein lies the business decision, I'd guess. Always a bigger play in the mix with these kind of moves.

Stretch

Nov 18, 2016, 7:43 AM

I know Spoke101 can give us some more insight.... :ph34r:  :whistling:  ^_^

Nov 18, 2016, 7:47 AM

Therein lies the business decision, I'd guess. Always a bigger play in the mix with these kind moves.

At the moment Santa is with Dragon's, is it not?

rock

Nov 18, 2016, 7:52 AM

this juts in, GM will be racing on flats next year.

PD020_1024x1024.jpeg

Spoke101

Nov 18, 2016, 8:06 AM

I know Spoke101 can give us some more insight.... :ph34r:  :whistling:  ^_^

Hahaha, I've been out of the shops for a year now. Greg does bring bikes in directly from SC to sell in his shops. Future expansion seams logical but not to sure what the agreement is with Dragons.

At the moment Santa is with Dragon's, is it not?

Yes it is.

V12man

Nov 18, 2016, 8:27 AM

How long util they start distributing Santa Cruz?

Not long at all

Nov 18, 2016, 8:37 AM

this juts in, GM will be racing on flats next year.

PD020_1024x1024.jpeg

He rides flats on his play bike, afaik 

rock

Nov 18, 2016, 12:16 PM

Greg does bring bikes in directly from SC to sell in his shops. Future expansion seams logical but not to sure what the agreement is with Dragons.

If you're a true patriot you let Greg do what he likes.  :thumbup:

Hairy

Nov 18, 2016, 2:50 PM

this will be interesting!

from his other business ventures GM certainly looks like he know how to do business .... and RUSH SPORTS are well on top of their game.

could this be one monumental move that really puts RUSH SPORTS as a leader in SA cycling / MTB!

Crosschain

Nov 18, 2016, 2:58 PM

Maxxis tyres just got faster  ....... ( but only at Rush ..... )

Nov 18, 2016, 4:05 PM

This is GREAT news and a drive in the right direction for MTB & Cycling SA.

Well done and keep being that great role model you guys have been.

Stretch

Nov 18, 2016, 5:15 PM

Admin..I put a thread up on this earlier today . You may as well merge the comments from there with this

Brett

Nov 18, 2016, 5:28 PM

great PR boost

floatfox

Nov 18, 2016, 6:57 PM

Great guy, legend joining a really great bunch of guys at Rush Sports..

_im_from_earth

Nov 19, 2016, 1:49 PM

Thanks for all of the positive comments guys! We're really excited for this new chapter. Bottom line is we're still focused on delivering the goods, quickly, reliably, and as economically as possible.

Bicyclegear

Nov 20, 2016, 3:03 PM

What a great! Rush Sports you are certainly a lucky group of guys...

! Jaco Hoffmann

Nov 21, 2016, 8:15 PM

I am a qualified bicycle technician, servicing bicycles from home. About 3 weeks ago I sent Rush Sport an email wanting to buy a bearing for a Cane Creek headset. They did not even bother to answer me. NOT IMPRESSED.!!!.

Jaco Hoffmann Pretoria. Faerie Glen Cycle Workshop.

_im_from_earth

Nov 22, 2016, 6:42 AM

I am a qualified bicycle technician, servicing bicycles from home. About 3 weeks ago I sent Rush Sport an email wanting to buy a bearing for a Cane Creek headset. They did not even bother to answer me. NOT IMPRESSED.!!!. Jaco Hoffmann Pretoria. Faerie Glen Cycle Workshop.

Hi Jaco

Not sure is this is the appropriate forum, but I see we received an email from you on the 5th of November which was replied to the same day. (I have just emailed you personally)

As we mention on our website we have a strict policy whereby we do not supply directly to the public, we firmly believe the health of the industry, and the reputation of our brands is secured by the independent cycling dealers in South Africa, some 600 of which we supply on a daily basis.

That being said, we also respect and admire entrepreneurs who are equipping themselves with the skills to offer a service which South African consumers (and their bikes) deserve, but as per my first point, we have a responsibility to both our existing customers, and the brands that we represent to ensure that we maintain a level of professionalism and transparency that ensure we are only trading with legitimate businesses, as at the end of the day we are a wholesaler first and foremost.

V12man

Nov 22, 2016, 6:58 AM

I am a qualified bicycle technician, servicing bicycles from home. About 3 weeks ago I sent Rush Sport an email wanting to buy a bearing for a Cane Creek headset. They did not even bother to answer me. NOT IMPRESSED.!!!. Jaco Hoffmann Pretoria. Faerie Glen Cycle Workshop.

Can I suggest picking up the phone and calling them.....

GLuvsMtb

Nov 22, 2016, 7:02 AM

Can I suggest picking up the phone and calling them.....

Perhaps he has a secret crush on Greg and is hoping that he'll come and personally deliver his order.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment