Events

Local winelands teenager realizes his dreams through mountain biking

· By Press Office · 0 comments

A local teenager from a rural farming community took a step to realizing his dream when offered an internship at a Stellenbosch bike shop.

Curtley Hendricks, a teenager from Buffet Olives and part of the Anna Foundation since 2011 when he was in Grade 5, was selected to participate in an internship programme with BMT, a biking, marathon and triathlon store based in Stellenbosch.

ccs-62657-0-81582600-1528273549.jpg

The Anna Foundation runs an education, sport and life-skills programme for children on rural farms in the Western Cape and Curtley’s passion for mountain biking and skill on a bike were spotted early on.

“Sport is an intrinsic part of our after-school upliftment programme and Curtley has always been a keen participant in many of our mountain biking events, he was involved in building the Buffet Olives Pump Track in 2015,” said Anna Brom, Founder of the Anna Foundation.

“Just this year Curtley has participated in a skills workshop with Ariana Luthe prior to the UCI and Absa Cape Epic, as well as being part of a leopard conservation project with the Cape Leopard Trust, a fellow Epic beneficiary,” she added.

Chris Norton, owner of BMT said: “It was great to have Curtley in the shop as part of our BMT team. He is a fun and hard-working young man with a passion for cycling and bicycle workshop skills. We were happy to play a part and support the Anna Foundation by giving him an internship. BMT likes to give back to the community as well as develop mountain biking.

“We enjoy teaching young people especially when they are keen to learn on our training programmes,” he added.

“Kids from the Anna Foundation Development MTB team, including Curtley are invited to train with our BMT groups in Stellenbosch, plus the proceeds from the MTB calendars we sell in store will be donated to the Anna Foundation.”

“I feel really lucky to be doing work that I love. I love mountain biking and the sense of freedom it gives. It’s a growing sport, so I know that the skills I learn at BMT will stand me in good stead for the future,” said Hendricks.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment