Max Knox banned for doping offence

TOP South African mountain biker Max Knox has been found guilty of a doping offense and banned for four years, the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS) announced today. He was charged for suspicious variations in his Athlete Biological Passport (ABP) that indicated doping. He could not satisfactorily explain to a panel of international experts appointed by SAIDS the reasons for the variation.

Knox is a former South African Marathon MTB champion (2012 and 2016), a three-time overall winner of the National MTB Series (2012, 2015 and 2016) and represented South Africa several times at the world cross country and marathon championships. In terms of the ruling, he will be stripped of all his titles from June 16, 2015 and will have to return all prize money, prizes and medals gained since that date.

Knox’s ABP was monitored from February 2013 to June 2017. Irregularities included an artificially increased haemoglobin concentration over a period of time and bone marrow stimulation followed by immediate bone marrow suppression. The ABP was reviewed in conjunction with the cyclist’s competition schedules, race results and intelligence supplied to SAIDS. Knox’s explanations and supporting documents were rejected by the international panel as not providing explanations for the ABP changes and irregularities. Mr. Knox lodged an appeal against the initial decision, but failed to file any documentation for his appeal within the prescribed filing period.

Knox is one of three mountain bikers given doping bans in the past 18 months as a result of a year-long investigation and tip-offs from whistleblowers. SAIDS’s CEO, Khalid Galant, said that the convictions arose from the first phase of an investigation being undertaken in collaboration with the Department of Priority Crimes and Investigations (the Hawks). The investigation will “continue to look at athletes, medical doctors, coaches and trainers and whether they have a role in a doping supply network”.

Earlier this year SAIDS announced that one of the three mountain bikers found guilty of doping offences in the investigation was Shan Wilson, who was banned for six years after being found guilty of doping on five counts. These included: the presence of a prohibited substance or its metabolites or markers in a sample; trafficking or attempted trafficking in any prohibited substance or prohibited method; and complicity (being involved with others in acts that are breaches of the regulations). Wilson was initially tested in-competition on March 25, 2014. A female mountain biker was banned for two years after an adverse analytical finding for EPO (Erythropoietin) when she was tested on the 3rd of March this year.

“The investigation was triggered in significant part by whistleblowers and we are very grateful to their efforts to keep sport clean,” said Galant. “We do take tip-offs about any sporting discipline or individuals seriously and encourage people with good information to come forward. Any information remain strictly confidential and can be submitted via our website on an anonymous basis.”

Max Knox's response:

Max Knox Letter.jpg
Max Knox Letter 1.jpg

46 Comments

fanievb, Oct 15 2018 02:39

oooh shock and horror, who could have expected this?

Ysterbeertjie, Oct 15 2018 02:52

Big big surprise ... NOT! 

love the ride, Oct 15 2018 02:57

This one has been a long time coming........ a few more to go still

TheJ, Oct 15 2018 03:00

j-jonah-jameson-laughing.jpg

Andrew Steer, Oct 15 2018 03:04

Sick of these cheating a-holes... how many wins stolen from clean athletes by all these bankers? Wish they all ended up in jail frankly... hopefully some day soon that will be the way 

Aurora, Oct 15 2018 03:08

Love it! Its about time this came out...

spy, Oct 15 2018 03:21

The chemical brothers has fallen...

Wil6, Oct 15 2018 03:21

Sick of these cheating a-holes... how many wins stolen from clean athletes by all these bankers? Wish they all ended up in jail frankly... hopefully some day soon that will be the way 

And why is it always the guys that dominated the field for so long. Evans, now Knox

kingalton, Oct 15 2018 03:42

when SAIDS comes a knoxing...

Pure Savage, Oct 15 2018 03:43

This one has been a long time coming........ a few more to go still

Since the hub seems to be always right, care to share a few more names?

Vegan Warrior, Oct 15 2018 03:44

Keep em' coming.

Wonder who's next...

rock, Oct 15 2018 04:00

From Tread magazine:

In the past, you have raced as a teammate with three riders that have been caught for using performance-enhancing practices/substances. This, combined with your ability to put minutes into your South African rivals has raised widespread suspicion about whether you are also doping. What is your position on this situation?

I do not dope. My racing results have been consistent from when I turned professional in 2006, through the implementation of the ADAMS system in 2009 and the implementation of the biological passport in 2012. I’m fully committed to clean sport.

Dirkitech, Oct 15 2018 04:14

The chemical brothers has fallen...

my chemical bromance

Dirt Tracker, Oct 15 2018 04:23

Return the money. Bye, bye. Forget you. 

W Smith, Oct 15 2018 04:25

From Tread magazine:

In the past, you have raced as a teammate with three riders that have been caught for using performance-enhancing practices/substances. This, combined with your ability to put minutes into your South African rivals has raised widespread suspicion about whether you are also doping. What is your position on this situation?

I do not dope. My racing results have been consistent from when I turned professional in 2006, through the implementation of the ADAMS system in 2009 and the implementation of the biological passport in 2012. I’m fully committed to clean sport.

kingalton, Oct 15 2018 04:27

From Tread magazine:

They will always deny it, till they are bust.. and sometimes keep denying it after they are bust. Cheating and lying is in a dopers character.. it must be horrible to always wonder WHEN you are going to be caught..

love the ride, Oct 15 2018 04:31

Since the hub seems to be always right, care to share a few more names?

No i would not want to put out any names on a public forum, unfounded allegations are not cool. There are however still a number of people closely associated with the last 4 busts that have not gone down yet

Andrew Steer, Oct 15 2018 04:37

Another poster child for the 1000 post rule... ooh, and his market place rating isn't grand either 

Sitting slip, Oct 15 2018 05:03

Sad only the pro okes get caught. i think in this main stream stage race every weekend mtb culture we have there are a lot of uncles who have cash to through at Dr.Brink for apparent Iron probs or athlete induced astmha or something. In the big fields there are some okes that are dik on sous but too many to control. 

be weary of your local club ride mate more than these pro"s.

Almal sous klim op die trein en ry!

DieselnDust, Oct 15 2018 05:05

See you in 1A Max

RocknRolla, Oct 15 2018 05:15

Haha.

Pure gold.

Phatman, Oct 15 2018 08:17

"A female mountain biker was banned for two years after an adverse analytical finding for EPO (Erythropoietin) when she was tested on the 3rd of March this year."
Carmen Buchacher. No need to omit names here, come on.

danger dassie, Oct 15 2018 09:22

From Tread magazine:

Just for context, here is the full interview post 2017 Cape Epic; http://www.treadmtb....-with-max-knox/

solty, Oct 15 2018 09:30

I'm starting to feel a bit embarrassed about these doper mountain bikers. It starts to taint the public's impression of the sport.

Reg Lizard, Oct 16 2018 06:09

You get what you deserve!