Events

Seyffert receives two year ban from competition

· By Matt · 134 comments

Cycling South Africa reports that Pieter Seyffert who returned an adverse analytical finding in an in-competition test conducted by the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport(SAIDS) on 17 February 2013 has been found guilty and has received a two year ban from all sport. The analytical report confirmed the presence of the stimulant, Phentermine in his urine sample. The finding and sanction were handed down by the independent SAIDS tribunal which was held on 9 July 2013. Seyffert is suspended for a period of two years from 10 April 2013 to 9 April 2015.

In addition, all competitive results obtained by Seyffert from the date of collection of the positive sample, being 17 February 2013, will be disqualified with all of the resulting consequences including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes (including prize money).

Cycling South Africa respects the independence of the SAIDS process and therefore respects the outcome. Cycling South Africa further reiterates its zero-tolerance approach to doping in sport and will increase its education and awareness programmes along with SAIDS to eradicate the scourge of doping from the sport.

Comments

Sidekick Racer

Jul 23, 2013, 8:05 AM

So over these cheaters in the sport!

Waynehans

Jul 23, 2013, 8:08 AM

NICE!!

Katman9

Jul 23, 2013, 9:14 AM

People taking short cuts breaking rules etc is also cheaters not only drugs so please we cant point fingers to others!Ja doping is a problem but so is cutting swimmarkers taking short cuts etc

Andrew Steer

Jul 23, 2013, 9:37 AM

People taking short cuts breaking rules etc is also cheaters not only drugs so please we cant point fingers to others!Ja doping is a problem but so is cutting swimmarkers taking short cuts etc

Haha, interesting first post... this is of course all from your neutral perspective right :whistling:

Lucky for me I don't dope or cut short of the swimming markers (I need them to hold on to for a quick breather :ph34r: )

Doping as a pro-cyclist is like stealing out the till, cooking the books etc It ain't cool and we're all sick and tired of it.

If you ain't good enough (like me and 99% of all cyclists) - find another way to make a living, don't rob the guys who do have the talent :thumbup:

fandacious

Jul 23, 2013, 9:41 AM

http://www.bicycling.co.za/news-people/local-news-news-people/sa-ridertests-positive/

this was posted on april 11 2013 already - old news

dracs

Jul 23, 2013, 9:46 AM

http://www.bicycling...tests-positive/

this was posted on april 11 2013 already - old news

you really need to learn to read more than just the headlines. The tribunal was only held on 9 July.

To the point - its high time that the maximum sanction allowable is extended well beyond 2 years.

Cejay

Jul 23, 2013, 9:48 AM

Doping in the racing season and winning races, with the Lance Armstrong debacle at it's height seriously did he think he would not be tested?? :thumbdown: :eek:

fandacious

Jul 23, 2013, 9:49 AM

you really need to learn to read more than just the headlines. The tribunal was only held on 9 July.

To the point - its high time that the maximum sanction allowable is extended well beyond 2 years.

ah so the 2yr ban was handed on 9july

the

rock

Jul 23, 2013, 1:28 PM

time flies, I see next month david george will be halfway through his 'sporting interruption'

Johan Bornman

Jul 23, 2013, 1:32 PM

What is Phentermine?

Stretch

Jul 23, 2013, 1:33 PM

cheating is cheating....whether you take a short cut or pump yourself full of drugs...same thing

P.A.K.

Jul 23, 2013, 1:39 PM

What is Phentermine?

See here

Wet Ears

Jul 23, 2013, 1:51 PM

??????

Akin to taking recreational drugs when making your first post?

Johan Bornman

Jul 23, 2013, 1:55 PM

Very funny.

But thanks.

Wayne Potgieter

Jul 23, 2013, 1:55 PM

What is Phentermine?

Active ingredient in Duromine appetite suppressants. a Schedule 5 drug used for obese patients to block the brains hunger impulse to stop eating.
Cassie

Jul 23, 2013, 2:00 PM

What is Phentermine?

Something found in our SA steaks/ tjops???

Johan Bornman

Jul 23, 2013, 2:00 PM

OK, looking at the Wikipedia description of Phentermine, I notice that it is an appetite suppressant. No performance-enhancing benefits are listed.

Why end someone's career because of this drug?

Why is it illegal?

Am I missing something?

Wayne Potgieter

Jul 23, 2013, 2:02 PM

It is banned on the world list but "in competition only"

SwissVan

Jul 23, 2013, 2:06 PM

Active ingredient in Duromine appetite suppressants. a Schedule 5 drug used for obese patients to block the brains hunger impulse to stop eating.

Surely to Start eating?

Wayne Potgieter

Jul 23, 2013, 2:07 PM

Surely to Start eating?

Um yes...that thing.

It make you no hungry. Fat Ass fall off.

dev null

Jul 23, 2013, 2:10 PM

But it does not make you better during a competition, or am I missing something? In fact, it might make you bonk which is actually detrimental to your performance.

Wayne Potgieter

Jul 23, 2013, 2:12 PM

But it does not make you better during a competition, or am I missing something. In fact, it might make you bonk which is actually detrimental to your performance.

I suppose it helps in losing some weight before an event so that you improve your power to weight ratio.

As for bonking, yes, without fuel, you will bonk.

Not completely a banned substance, but it is prohibited "in competition"

P.A.K.

Jul 23, 2013, 2:25 PM

I suppose it helps in losing some weight before an event so that you improve your power to weight ratio.

As for bonking, yes, without fuel, you will bonk.

Not completely a banned substance, but it is prohibited "in competition"

As it should be. Sport should be about physical ability, not a science project

madmarc

Jul 23, 2013, 2:38 PM

One day water will be banned as it helps keep you hydrated and hence enhances performance :w00t: Energade and 32GI will be up on the shelf next to the EPO and no-one will be allowed to train anymore because that also enhances performance. Carbon fibre and plastics in bike manufacture will be banned as its too light and makes you faster. Lycra will be banned because it helps let you escape the drag caused by wind. :ph34r:

I'm thinking 10 years ahead now :huh: haha

Add a comment

You must log in to comment