Seyffert receives two year ban from competition

Cycling South Africa reports that Pieter Seyffert who returned an adverse analytical finding in an in-competition test conducted by the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport(SAIDS) on 17 February 2013 has been found guilty and has received a two year ban from all sport. The analytical report confirmed the presence of the stimulant, Phentermine in his urine sample. The finding and sanction were handed down by the independent SAIDS tribunal which was held on 9 July 2013. Seyffert is suspended for a period of two years from 10 April 2013 to 9 April 2015.
In addition, all competitive results obtained by Seyffert from the date of collection of the positive sample, being 17 February 2013, will be disqualified with all of the resulting consequences including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes (including prize money).

Cycling South Africa respects the independence of the SAIDS process and therefore respects the outcome. Cycling South Africa further reiterates its zero-tolerance approach to doping in sport and will increase its education and awareness programmes along with SAIDS to eradicate the scourge of doping from the sport.

134 Comments

Wayne Potgieter, Jul 23 2013 05:13

How long does Phentermine take to work out your system?

Google says 80 hours, but not sure if thats correct.

Moridin, Jul 23 2013 05:33

So, I wonder what's gonna happen when all these genetically selected babies hit the market. Are people that were genetically selected going to be prohibited from competing against us normally conceived plebs?

gummibear, Jul 23 2013 05:37

So, I wonder what's gonna happen when all these genetically selected babies hit the market. Are people that were genetically selected going to be prohibited from competing against us normally conceived plebs?

Russia has been mating their top athletes since the 70's

maddox, Jul 23 2013 05:42

time flies, I see next month david george will be halfway through his 'sporting interruption'

Didn't he get 2 years? Or like all other sentences in this country did it reduced?

NOFX, Jul 23 2013 05:44

Ban these cheats for life and let them become financial planners or estate agents

Johan Bornman, Jul 23 2013 06:16

Lots of high-horsing with this topic but I look at these drugs which are dubious performance enhancers and I wonder if things haven't gone too far?

Surely if someone wants to cheat he won't take appetite suppressants? EPO is the drug of choice in this sport and the drug that gives most people the most benefit. It is also impossible to detect outside the "glow". Yes, it is expensive and Phentermine is cheap (I imagine) but that's certainly not the motivation that drove Pieter to taking a diet pill. I imagine he took it 'cause he was feeling a bit tight in his pants and tries to eat less. He may even be unaware of the effects of high-carb diets and supplements on your appetite and the very stuff that fuels him is making him constantly hungry.

We could of course argue that he wanted to loose weight to win but I find it difficult to relate that to cheating. Boxers de-hydrate before weigh-in. Arguably cycling is not about the actual number on the scale and less weight is an advantage. However, if this was a calculated move and Pieter took one look at the list of nasty side-effects, many of which are counter-productive to cycling, he would have chosen another cheating drug, not Phentermine.

I think we're in madness territory.

Wayne Potgieter, Jul 23 2013 06:21

Ban these cheats for life and let them become financial planners or estate agents

hmmm.....a bit harsh. Not all "dopers" are cheats.

Some are genuine mistakes.

For example....

A person that takes Neurofen cold and flu will receive a ban as it is not permitted in or OUT of competition.

As is most of the sinumax range...also banned.

pastapouch, Jul 23 2013 06:21

Shocked to hear about this since I know the family. :unsure:

Wayne Potgieter, Jul 23 2013 06:22

JB- see our posts crossed whilst i was taking my time to type :)

Johan Bornman, Jul 23 2013 06:30

Shocked to hear about this since I know the family. :unsure:

No don't be shocked. Be outraged... at the system. I think it has gone too far and people that aren't cheats are tainted with the same brush as LA and co. What happened here is not the same as Lance and I find it hard to associate it with cheating.

Robrider, Jul 23 2013 06:47

No don't be shocked. Be outraged... at the system. I think it has gone too far and people that aren't cheats are tainted with the same brush as LA and co. What happened here is not the same as Lance and I find it hard to associate it with cheating.

On the WADA list its listed as a stimulant. I doubt it would be specifically recognized as an illegal substance unless there was a reason.

stringbean, Jul 23 2013 07:12

Sorry there is no excuse,it is cheating.I understand there may be a bit of sympathy because there are members here who know him but there is no difference here to Contadors + to Clen.At top level keeping weight down to absolute minimum is just as important to power output.What amazes me is how quiet Team Bonitas are.
Then again,I was shocked when they gave Herman Fouche a job straight out of a 2 year ban.
Credibility of that team not looking so good at the moment.

Glenmx, Jul 23 2013 07:16

A lot of substances are banned because of the masking effect on other stimulants or steroids. I don't really now too much about it, but if its on the banned list there must be a reason.

stringbean, Jul 23 2013 07:21

hmmm.....a bit harsh. Not all "dopers" are cheats.

Some are genuine mistakes.

For example....

A person that takes Neurofen cold and flu will receive a ban as it is not permitted in or OUT of competition.

I'm sorry but I don't agree Wayne.If you in competition and have even the slightest chance of been tested you do your homework.There is a great phone app by drugfreesport to download.Just type in any medication you want to take and it tells you if you can or not.

stringbean, Jul 23 2013 07:24

I wonder if Bonitas do any inhouse testing.I must say I do find everything a bit ironic.
Bonitas Medical,Discem a sponsor,Phentermine...

Wayne Potgieter, Jul 23 2013 08:40

I'm sorry but I don't agree Wayne.If you in competition and have even the slightest chance of been tested you do your homework.There is a great phone app by drugfreesport to download.Just type in any medication you want to take and it tells you if you can or not.

i get you.

i think motive plays a role.

my point was directed at meridas comment about ALL dopers receiving a lifetime ban.

i agree it is the athletes responsibility, but genuine mistakes should carry a lesser sentence such as a two year ban.

my point tried to prove that not all dopers are cheats.

Ramrod, Jul 23 2013 08:50

can you tell us the name of this app. I downloaded the Wada app and it wants the specific ingredients. Not so easy when you are sitting in a doctors rooms and they are prescribing stuff for you. And app whereby i can just type Neurofen etc would be very handy to me.

gtr1, Jul 23 2013 09:24

Bottom line is, if a drug is listed as banned, and you take it, it is cheating. Onus on athlete to check banned list, especially as a pro. You can't half cheat because one drug is not as bad as another.

Not sure what a genuine mistake is when there is so much info available on what is annex and what is not. If you gona pop a tab, know what is in it. Most flu medication contains banned substances, everyone knows that. So find out what is safe to use.

eddy, Jul 23 2013 09:28

OK, looking at the Wikipedia description of Phentermine, I notice that it is an appetite suppressant. No performance-enhancing benefits are listed.

Why end someone's career because of this drug?
Why is it illegal?
Am I missing something?

I am not a pharmacist, but maybe this is the problem. From Wikipedia:

" Mechanism of action

Phentermine works on the hypothalamus portion of the brain to stimulate the adrenal glands to release norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter or chemical messenger that signals a fight-or-flight response, reducing hunger. Phentermine works outside the brain, as well, to release epinephrine or adrenaline. "

Could, inaddition to breaking down fat, the adrenaline not have stimulatory effects?

TALUS, Jul 23 2013 10:40

Of course it is a stimulant. It suppresses appetite as part of a bigger response. Increases bloodpressure, can increase heartrate, decrease feeling of fatigue etc. Only registered for one indication but has multiple effects.

r0adrunner, Jul 23 2013 11:05

Elaborate?

JA-Q001, Jul 23 2013 11:11

But, if its a scedule 5 drug for obesity, where is the doc that prescibed it to a 8% body fat person?

eddy, Jul 23 2013 11:13

But, if its a scedule 5 drug for obesity, where is the doc that prescibed it to a 8% body fat person?

Maybe it just worked realy, really well.............. I clearly need some too ;-)

Wayne Potgieter, Jul 24 2013 06:40

Elaborate?

download the list and see for yourself.

stringbean, Jul 24 2013 06:41

can you tell us the name of this app. I downloaded the Wada app and it wants the specific ingredients. Not so easy when you are sitting in a doctors rooms and they are prescribing stuff for you. And app whereby i can just type Neurofen etc would be very handy to me.

Drugfreesport.It's been around for a long time,I use it all the time and it's great.

http://www.cyclingsa...le.aspx?uid=494