Events

We’re changing our name!

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 107 comments

Eleven years ago in August 2004 The Hub was born. Then just a rudimentary, glaringly yellow message board populated by little more than a handful of users. We’ve certainly come a long way. From those humble beginnings as a small side project to the largest cycling website in South Africa and among the top 15 cycling sites worldwide.

Last month we saw 175 000 unique visitors viewing over 4.7 million pages on the site with an average of 1 minute 20 seconds spent on a page. That’s a total of 104 444 hours / 4352 days / 12 years spent here just last month.

Over the 11 years of our existence the platform and community has evolved. We’ve grown and, in many respects, matured. What began as a hobby is now a full-time business with actual offices, staff and, most importantly, a couch.

yellow_thehub_article.jpgOur very yellow beginnings in a pre-Facebook and Twitter world.
2008_thehub_article.jpgBy 2008 we’d dropped the yellowness and adopted a look ‘n feel which in part carries through today.

So what’s in a name?

Over the years many have asked “Why The Hub?”. To me it was always a natural choice. “Hub” describes a central meeting point, a central connection point in computer networking and, of course, is an integral part of any bike. It speaks to a lot of what the site is about. So “The Hub” it was or rather The Hub SA (www.thehubsa.co.za) thanks to someone squatting on the much desired domain www.thehub.co.za.

b010705d355c42ba913021ec89e8e18d.jpgOne of the many branches of The “other” Hub causing some confusion.

While to me “The Hub” has always been obvious, it’s not something that immediately shouts bicycles. As a result of the generic appeal of “the hub” it turns out there are many other “The Hubs”. From clothing stores to community groups, building complexes and even Chain Reaction Cycles’ version of The Hub.

More recently we’ve been getting messages from friends and family cheekily enquiring about our new “offices” and rapid expansion. To the point that when new acquaintances ask where I work they immediately respond “oh, that clothing store”. No!

While the arrogant side of me wants to say “come on guys, we are THE Hub”, it doesn’t make sense to get lost among all the other hubs, diluting our brand.

The solution?

Simply: Bike Hub. We get to keep our “Hub” heritage and maintain our identity as “Hubbers”, but add an important distinction which ties us more closely to our vertical: bikes and bike riding.
bikehub_logo_article.jpg
What does this mean? Practically not all that much changes. Our logo sees a slight tweak, our official domain name will become bikehub.co.za, but all old links and thehubsa.co.za remain intact and we continue on as Hubbers.

Whats next for Bike Hub? Symbolically it’s a significant shift for us. We’ve survived our “tweenage” and adolescent years, now grown up and ready to take on the world.

Thanks for the support from the many Hubbers, old and new, over the years. Without you, the community driving the site, we’d not exist!

Here’s to the many ahead. We’re excited to get going!

Matt Eagar
Founder – The Hub Bike Hub

Some house keeping:

Initially the changes will mostly be cosmetic. From today (Friday, 21 August 2015) you’ll notice the logos and naming on the site change over, along with our social media accounts.

Over the course of this weekend you’ll begin to see requests to www.thehubsa.co.za automatically redirected to www.bikehub.co.za as it becomes our primary domain name.

Our social media accounts will be updated as follows:
– Twitter: @bikehubber
– Facebook: Bike Hub
– Instagram: @bikehubber
– Google Plus: Bike Hub
– YouTube: Bike Hub

Tags: ,

Comments

Vetseun

Aug 21, 2015, 7:24 AM

Excellent!

Escapee..

Aug 21, 2015, 7:27 AM

Shouldn't thread title be, "We have changed our name!"?

DIPSLICK

Aug 21, 2015, 7:29 AM

congrats on the numbers,,,soooooo the million dollar question,,,new BIKE hub second chances for "ex naughties" to make new start :)

call it a week of reconciliation

jokes aside, WELL DONE AGAIN

Adrian Fogg

Aug 21, 2015, 7:29 AM

Awesome and well done the Hub Bike Hub!! 

shaper

Aug 21, 2015, 7:31 AM

Perhaps consider trade mark the name, so that you do not have to keep changing every time a new business starts up and infringes on the name.... make them change and not you Matt :)

fanievb

Aug 21, 2015, 7:35 AM

dammit now I have to get a new top.....

TALUS

Aug 21, 2015, 7:42 AM

At the S2C I started chatting to a guy about HubStuff. He was a real suurgat. I didnt know what to make of it because he was wearing gear from "the Hub". Eventually he told me he was from a clothing store and was irritated by all the peeps wanting to chat to him! I will never buy anything from them because he is obviously not from my tribe.

Good Luck to Matt and the gang.

kvdp

Aug 21, 2015, 7:49 AM

Great stuff Matthew and crew.Here's to the future.

Bomberman

Aug 21, 2015, 7:56 AM

Brilliant..... next time when Im home.

Wife; :cursing:  Are you on the freaken hub again ????

Me; No... :ph34r:  they have closed the site....

Wife; Thank goodness  :clap:

:thumbup:  She will never know they only changed the name.

DIPSLICK

Aug 21, 2015, 8:01 AM

hub , hub, hub,hub........at least bike hub again??? that will slow her down a bit :whistling:

BikeXpres

Aug 21, 2015, 8:02 AM

Bike Hub...the place to be! All the best Matt!!!

SwissVan

Aug 21, 2015, 8:14 AM

Ha ha been there and got the vuil look and sarcastic comments from the wiff..

Now she (mostly) doesn't worry anymore...it comes with time

Wez-O

Aug 21, 2015, 8:18 AM

Looks and sounds good! All the best guys  :thumbup:

SolomonsCyclesdurban

Aug 21, 2015, 8:19 AM

ON BEHALF OF SOLOMONS CYCLES WE WISH BIKEHUB ALL THE BEST !!!

dirtypot

Aug 21, 2015, 8:20 AM

Announcing this on a Friday?  Sketchy...  :ph34r:

Odinson

Aug 21, 2015, 8:24 AM

Ha ha been there and got the vuil look and sarcastic comments from the wiff..

Now she (mostly) doesn't worry anymore...it comes with time

I think most of us married guys have received an uitkak because of time spent on le bikehub.

NotSoBigBen

Aug 21, 2015, 8:25 AM

I think it will take some time before folks refer to it in casual conversation as the 'bikehub', 'the hub' is too entrenched for most of us ...

Boerklong

Aug 21, 2015, 8:40 AM

Change is good

SwissVan

Aug 21, 2015, 8:40 AM

I think most of us married guys have received an uitkak because of time spent on le bikehub.

It usually starts like this....

post-182-0-68283700-1440146393_thumb.png

rock

Aug 21, 2015, 8:44 AM

says a lot that the bike hub survived the onslaught of social media.

Jinga

Aug 21, 2015, 8:48 AM

Nice one.

Keep it up. :clap:  :thumbup:

Mish100

Aug 21, 2015, 8:53 AM

Congrats

Patchelicious

Aug 21, 2015, 8:56 AM

Can I change my name to Bike Patch then?

Kitted

Aug 21, 2015, 8:56 AM

Congrats guys, best place to be and we are sure it will always get better.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment