Events

Knox and De Groot dominate SA MTB Marathon Champs

· By Press Office · 15 comments

Max Knox and Robyn de Groot emerged the victors at the third round of the Ashburton Investments National MTB Series this year, which played host to the 2016 South African Mountain Bike Marathon Championships in Clarens, today. De Groot made it her fourth consecutive National Title while it was Knox’s second National Title and third win at this venue.

The Elite Men’s Ultra Marathon kicked off promptly at 07:15 in crisp cool conditions as they embarked on 112 kilometres along the dusty and scenic trails that Clarens has to offer. Early in the race, Waylon Woolcock (USN Purefit) suffered a puncture, which separated him from the lead group. After inserting two plugs and bombing (inflating) the wheel, which was cracked, he wasn’t too sure of how far back he was and kept on chasing the lead bunch that consisted of his teammate Darren Lill, Max Knox (Lowveld Tractors/Dirk Lourens Cycles), defending champion Gawie Combrinck and Nico Bell (both NAD Pro MTB) and James Reid (Team Spur). Woolcock caught up to Lill and the pair worked together to the group where Woolcock tried to recover.

Knox launched an attack on the climb after the second water point at 56 kilometres and Woolcock stayed with him for most of the way but in the final climb before the descent into Clarens, Knox got a gap and sailed away to the finish to claim his second ever National Championship title.

ccs-2-0-75078200-1460824664.jpgMax Knox (Lowveld Tractors/Dirk Lourens Cycles) rode a smart and calculated race to claim the victory in the Elite Men’s 112-kilometre event in a time of four hours and ten minutes at the third round of the Ashburton Investments National MTB Series this year, which played host to the 2016 South African Mountain Bike Marathon Championships in Clarens, on Saturday 16 April. Photo: supplied

Knox said: “My race went very well. I enjoy racing at Clarens and I’ve won two times here before so I knew if I rode well and smart then I would be able to be in contention at the end. It was a little bit difficult because the other guys had two team members but I just tried to stay in contention until the 50-kilometre mark where I knew it would get hard. I went hard there and only Waylon came with me. I managed to get a gap from him and knew that I would have to be on my own in front. I kept it steady and am really happy to take the win.”

Combrinck crossed the line in second place, one-and-a-half minutes off the pace: “I put in a big effort at the start. I launched a big attack just before the 56-kilometre tech zone and then on the steep climb right after that, Max and Waylon rode away. We caught Waylon just out of town and Nico put in a big effort to chase him down but Max was too strong and we could not catch him. I managed to get a gap on Waylon in the last singetrack to the finish.”

Woolcock was spent after his earlier efforts. “I spent too many pennies trying to catch up from my puncture earlier in the race. Apparently I came back to the group from an eight-minute deficit so that effort cost me in the end. Well done to Gawie – he stuck it to me on the last descent.”

Starting five minutes after the Elite Men, at 07:20, the Elite Women set off on their 77.5-kilometre Marathon. A group of four riders – De Groot (Team Ascendis Health), Samantha Sanders (Valencia) and Candice Neethling (Team Dorma) – looked comfortable together at the 56-kilometre tech zone with Amy McDougall (Valencia) in fourth place, two minutes and 40 seconds behind.

At the most talked-about climb after the tech zone, De Groot attacked and got a gap on Sanders, which she carried until the end of the race. This is where McDougall managed to reel in Neethling and hold third place until the end.

De Groot was happy with her race, which she said went exactly to plan: “I came in with a plan today and holding onto the jersey was something that I wasn’t letting go of and I’ve worked pretty hard towards it. Myself and Sam and Candice got away on the Queen of the Mountain and went along some flat rocky sections and my chain came off my front chain ring so I had to stop and put that on. They were going at a fast pace and I worked hard to catch them again and had to manage my energy after that. I knew the course pretty well from the tech zone (56-kilometre mark) and I knew where I needed to go and it went according to plan.”

ccs-2-0-67292000-1460824658.jpgEverything went according to plan for Team Ascendis Health’s Robyn de Groot, who claimed a dominat victory in the Elite Women’s race over 77.5 kilometres in a time of three hours 25 minutes and 34 seconds at the third round of the Ashburton Investments National MTB Series this year, which played host to the 2016 South African Mountain Bike Marathon Championships in Clarens, on Saturday 16 April. Photo: supplied

Sanders took a tumble after crashing hard in the singletrack but commended De Groot on her performance. “I knew Robyn was the one to beat today and after the tech zone I hung onto her wheel because I saw Candice was struggling a little bit. When Robs attacked, I couldn’t hold her pace and she got away and in the singletrack I tried hard to close the gap and had a bit of a fall. Robs was super strong and she deserves the win.”

McDougall was elated with her third place: “I kept pushing as hard as I could and at 65 kilometres I saw Candice and pushed extra hard to close in on her at the 70-kilometre mark. I rode as hard as I could and I’m pretty stoked with third place.”

Neethling said that she gave it everything she had in the last few kilometres. “We were all together and riding well but as soon as we went past that tech zone and hit that horrible climb, I just started battling and backed off a little bit, and that was all the pace that I had at the finish.”

Summary of Results – 2016 South African Mountain Bike Marathon Championships

Elite Men
1.Max Knox 04:10:00
2.Gawie Combrinck 04:11:35
3.Waylon Woolcock 04:13:29
4.Nico Bell 04:15:24
5.Darren Lill 04:24:01
6.Hendrik (HB) Kruger 04:25:37
7.Matthew Beers 04:25:40
8.Timothy Hammond 04:27:31
9.Pieter Seyffert 04:28:42
10.Ben Melt Swanepoel 04:29:20

Elite Women
1.Robyn de Groot 03:25:34
2.Samantha Sanders 03:27:27
3.Amy Mcdougall 03:33:32
4.Candice Neethling 03:34:44
5.Vanessa Bell 03:38:40
6.Carmen Buchacher 03:39:09
7.Maricel Bekker 03:46:14
8.Adrienne Moolman 03:53:09
9.Emily Clarke 03:55:38
10.Anriette Schoeman 04:06:08

Comments

Jaco-fiets

Apr 16, 2016, 4:50 PM

I was hoping either Kleynhans, Reid or Rabie takes it.

What happened to them anyway?

rock

Apr 16, 2016, 5:47 PM

where's knox been all year......? hmmmmm.

Vetseun

Apr 17, 2016, 5:30 AM

where's knox been all year......? hmmmmm.

Training for nationals.
Bianchi Baby

Apr 17, 2016, 6:26 AM

Knox became a daddy so he had his priorities right in my opinion: awesome committed husband and father then awesome SA champ QED!!!

MEYER1

Apr 17, 2016, 9:28 AM

Whas it Max Knox or Max Clean???

SABIEMTB

Apr 17, 2016, 10:16 AM

Haters will always be haters. Max tells me to stay off the hub because it kills me that people are always being so negative and have something to say. Yes max has been off the scene because he is a commited father to his one month old daughter and been at home supporting his wife. Priorities in the right place. He worked hard to earn the sa champ title. Im a proud wife anyway :)

BrandonF_

Apr 17, 2016, 10:29 AM

Haters will always be haters. Max tells me to stay off the hub because it kills me that people are always being so negative and have something to say. Yes max has been off the scene because he is a commited father to his one month old daughter and been at home supporting his wife. Priorities in the right place. He worked hard to earn the sa champ title. Im a proud wife anyway :)

Good father. Enjoy the little one, and best of wishes for a healthy future!

Toxic

Apr 18, 2016, 3:38 AM

I'am happy for Max!  awesome.  Alot of people hates him, but I'am not sure why...  I know he has been riding with 3 partners in the past that got busted, but I still believe he race clean and he needs more respect from us.

Squier

Apr 18, 2016, 5:08 AM

He also had a great ride in Sabie early in the year where he got a podium spot. Looked to be in good form even if he was keeping a low profile.

That's a strong men's field. We have to find a way to develop these guys to be internationally competitive. There's so much talent there.

Wil6

Apr 18, 2016, 5:32 AM

Well done to both of them. De Groot had a brilliant last 35km.

haasbroek

Apr 18, 2016, 5:56 AM

Congrats to all the winners, well deserved.

If I can ask why is the ladies race 35km's shorter? 70 odd km's surely cant feel like a marathon session for these calibre racers.

Wil6

Apr 18, 2016, 6:24 AM

Congrats to all the winners, well deserved. If I can ask why is the ladies race 35km's shorter? 70 odd km's surely cant feel like a marathon session for these calibre racers.

Not sure I understand your question, Marathon is the Elite Ladies categorie distance, and it was on par

BrandonF_

Apr 18, 2016, 6:58 AM

Congrats to all the winners, well deserved. If I can ask why is the ladies race 35km's shorter? 70 odd km's surely cant feel like a marathon session for these calibre racers.

Ladies distance have always been a 70-75km Marathon, the Gents 105-115km Ultra Marathon

Sydd

Apr 18, 2016, 9:24 AM

The international standard for elite women's marathon races is in the 70-80km region, and elite men 100-20km. 75km with the amount of climbing on the Clarens route most certainly does feel like a marathon thanks.

haasbroek

Apr 18, 2016, 6:50 PM

No one said it wasn't on par.... a pretty plain question; why would there be a different distance for ladies vs men? (and yes, I know its the rules) but that doesnt tell me why there is a different distance.

No worries for these self same riders to klap the exact same routes and distances as the guys on Epic etc. seems a sexist, outdated; women are weaker than men relic too me; thats all.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment