While the Absa Cape Epic implements a comprehensive safety plan for the event each year, we have further built on these measures based on the recommendations and guidelines of the World Health Organization (WHO) Interdepartmental Mass Gatherings Group, the South Africa Department of Health (DOH) via the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) and the Western Cape Emergency Medical Services, as well as our event medical partner Mediclinic and our safety service provider Eyethu Events. This includes implementation of additional onsite event safety and precautionary measures, as well as education and guidelines for event staff and volunteers at race venue locations to follow. These safety measures promote the daily practice of hygiene protective measures recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO) to prevent the spread of germs.
These actions include but are not limited to the following:
- Education of all staff and volunteers on distribution methods for waterpoints and race village catering, such as individually served portions, use of utensils and leaving food in packaging where appropriate (e.g. energy bars).
- Active communication to participants, volunteers, and event staff creating awareness and education about COVID-19, inclusive of signage on site.
- Additional supply and usage of hygiene products at water points and in the race village such as hand sanitiser, tissues, disinfectants, disposable gloves and increased cleaning and trash disposal procedures.
- Promoting social distancing through all areas in the race village, including podium presentations and supporter interactions.
- Routinely disinfecting and cleaning frequently touched surfaces at race venue locations, such as workstations, product distribution areas, tables and electronic devices.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19 refer to www.who.int, the South Africa Department of Health (DOH) at www.health.gov.za, or Western Cape Government www.westerncape.gov.za/department-of-health/coronavirus.
Thank you and we look forward to a great 2020 edition of the Absa Cape Epic.
The Absa Cape Epic Team