Events

Cannondale shakes up 2017 Factory Racing roster

· By Press Office · 3 comments

Cannondale and Cannondale Factory Racing (CFR) today announced major changes to the 2017 team roster reshaping the program after eight years of elite racing. With new athletes in place, CFR will be positioned for podium success on the world stage in the year to come.

ccs-62657-0-53041100-1484032636.jpgManuel Fumic.

In 2017, CFR will welcome its first female athletes to the squad – sisters Helen and Hannah Grobert of Germany. Helen, an Olympian, two-time U23 MTB World Cup winner, and 2015 German XC Champion, brings her bright personality, tenacity and strong work ethic to the team. Hannah, an up-and-coming U23 racer, will also bring added excitement to the roster.

Maxime Marotte of France, the 2016 #3 rider in the UCI World ranking and World Cup overall standings, will also join CFR. A standout athlete, Marotte has many titles including, Olympian, two-time Team Relay XC World Champion, and Team Relay European Champion. He also holds eight career XCO World Cup podiums.

ccs-62657-0-02761900-1484032637.jpgManuel Fumic and Helen Grobert.

Current CFR athletes Manuel Fumic of Germany and Henrique Avancini of Brazil, Olympic athletes and 2016 Absa Cape Epic Grand finale winners, will round out the 2017 team as two of the most experienced and successful riders in XC racing.

“We’ve set up our new program with long term goals positioning CFR for success at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Until then, 100% of our focus will be on the 2017 World Cup season and the overall classification of the Absa Cape Epic,” said Daniel Hespeler, CFR Team Manager. “We will rely on Fumic and Avancini’s experience and consistency globally and nationally. We will combine their talents with Grobert and Marotte’s to strengthen our team for top podium performances across the men’s and women’s fields.”

CFR has shown a strong commitment to the sport of mountain biking and Olympic XC racing as the program has developed. CFR athletes live the mountain bike lifestyle and encourage others to ride. The CFR DNA is reflected in the 2017 roster through personality, dedication, and an eye towards the podium.

ccs-62657-0-47886700-1484032637.jpgMaxime Marotte.

As a new chapter begins for the CFR team, another one comes to a close. Long-time CFR athletes Marco Aurelio Fontana and Anton Cooper will leave the team.

“I’ve raced Cannondale bikes for the last eight years,” said Fontana. “I’m lucky to have worked so long with guys I can call my friends. I have huge respect for what Cannondale has done for me and the sport of XC. I will always look to a Cannondale bike with happiness and a smile because I know how it feels to ride it.”

“While we’ve had many great years with Marco and Anton, all good things come to an end,” said Hespeler. “Marco leaves the team as a star of the XC scene and medal decorated Olympian, while Anton leaves as the youngest rider to win a U23 World Cup Race and the 2015 U23 World Champion. I want to thank both athletes for what they’ve done for Cannondale and CFR. I wish them the best of luck in the future.”

ccs-62657-0-38975800-1484032634.jpgHelen Grobert.

For more Cannondale and CFR news, visit www.cannondale.com. To follow the success of all Cannondale-sponsored teams and athletes, follow Cannondale Pro on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

Rider profiles:

Helen Grobert

Quick Bio:

Career Highlights:

• 2016 Rio Olympics
  • 2nd – 2016 German National Championships, XCO – 2015 German XC Champion
  • 2x U23 MTB World Cup Winner

Social Media:

• Instagram: @helengrobert
  • Twitter: @groberthelen

Maxime Marotte:

Quick Bio:

Career Highlights:

• 2016 Rio Olympics
  • 3rd – UCI World Ranking
  • 3rd – 2016 Overall World Cup standings – 8 XCO World Cup podiums
  • 2x Team Relay XC World Champion
  • Team Relay European Champion

Social Media:

• Instagram: @maxime_marotte
  • Twitter: @maximemarotte

Manuel Fumic:

Quick Bio:

Career Highlights:

• 4x Olympian
  • 7x German National Champion
  • 1st – Absa Cape Epic Grand Finale
  • 3rd – 2015 Windham UCI Men’s XCO World Cup – U23 World Champion
  • U23 European Champion

Social Media:

• Instagram: @manuelfumic
  • Twitter: @manuelfumic

Henrique Avancini:

Quick Bio:

Career Highlights:

• 2016 Rio Olympics
  • 1st – 2016 Brazilian National Championship
  • 1st – Absa Cape Epic Grand Finale

Social Media:

• Instagram: @avancinimtb
  • Twitter: @avancinimtb

Bikes:

The 2017 CFR team will race on the all-new, built for XXC, Scalpel Si, as well as the F-Si, two of the most race-proven bikes in the world allowing athletes to choose the ideal machine to meet course demands. The Cannondale Scalpel Si delivers the ultimate XC speed and handling capabilities in a full suspension bike, and the F-Si boasts maximum performance in a cross- country hardtail meeting the demands of today’s XC courses.

CFR will be supported by these key partners:

• SRAM: Drivetrain
  • ENVE: Wheels, handlebars, stems, seatposts
  • Schwalbe: Tires
  • Prologo: Saddles, grips and gloves
  • Rock Shox: Rear suspension
  • DT: Hubs and spokes
  • Ethic Sports: Nutrition and massage products
  • Northwave: Shoes, socks and base layer
  • SUGOI: Official team riding kit
  • Alpinestars: Lifestyle apparel and travel gear
  • Eighty-Aid: Headshock suspension service and tuning
  • Knaus: Motorhomes

Related posts

Comments

Jaco-fiets

Jan 10, 2017, 9:24 AM

Wonder where Fontana is going.....

kosmonooit

Jan 10, 2017, 9:35 AM

Great news :-D they needed some new athletes it was getting a bit stale and lack lustre, they have chosen well.

Donovan Le Cok

Jan 10, 2017, 1:33 PM

Wonder where Fontana is going.....

Looks like he is going to Bianchi.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPFUV0nDDo8/

Italian on an Italian bike, always good.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment