Events

German duo form ‘Silverback OMX’ for Cape Epic 2017

· By Press Office · 3 comments

OMX Pro Team’s Martin Gluth will pair up with Julian Schelb for the 2017 Cape Epic. The German duo will be aboard the Silverback Sesta Superbike, and with unparalleled and focussed support from their bike partner, will ride under the team name, ‘Silverback OMX’ for the eight days of untamed African adventure that is Cape Epic. The Sesta is tried, tested and proven at the Cape Epic, having been raced to a stage win and a third place in 2015, and numerous top tens in 2016.

ccs-58780-0-72260300-1487147480.jpg

Martin rode the Cape Epic for the first time last year and made quite an impression on the race, mixing it up with the big-name experienced teams, and finishing fifth on two stages. Martin says the Cape Epic was a highlight of his 2016 season and he is very much looking forward to taking on the challenge again in 2017, this time with some experience of what to expect and how to handle it.
“In the Cape Epic you always have “ups and downs”. You can suffer like hell already after 30 minutes of a 4.5 hour stage, but the page can turn around from one moment to another. This was an experience we figured out last year and it will help Julian and I for this year. We have already done so many kilometers of training and racing together and we are very good friends. I think the partnership at the Cape Epic will work out well! We know the others strengths and weaknesses. This should help us in difficult situations. I am really looking forward to racing with him!”

Martin will be joined by his good friend and fellow German rider, Julian Schelb, from German team ‘STOP&GO Marderabwehr’. Martin and Julian both live in the German city of Freiburg and they often train together. This, along with the fact that they have raced against each other many times, gives them a real advantage for racing the Cape Epic together, and we believe that they will produce a very strong partnership.

Along with Martin, Julian has been a member of the German National Team for many years, during which he won Silver at the 2013 U23 World Championships in Pietermaritzburg. He has also trained in Stellenbosch each winter for the last six years, so although Julian is new to Cape Epic, he is not new to suffering and success on South African soil!

“I have watched it live in 2015 and loved the atmosphere and the adventure paired with racing. Since then it has been a big goal for me to race this special MTB race”, says Schelb. While riding for the Multivan Merida Team, Julian got some good advice: “Näf and Hermida told me the most important thing for Cape Epic is to ride with a good friend, not only a strong rider. And I think this is true. To know each other well and seeing how the partner feels is a great advantage for us. We will fight together for the best position possible and help each other in difficult situations.”

Team Manager, Paul Beales, is really positive about what the 2017 Cape Epic can bring for the Silverback OMX pairing.

“The Cape Epic is a race where experience is invaluable, and I feel that after four years competing at the Cape Epic we have some good experience and a team that is capable of fighting for the top positions. We will go in with a good race strategy and look to improve on the results from previous years”

Martin and Julian will kick off their Epic African adventure on 19th March in Meerendal Wine Estate, just north of Cape Town. You will be able to follow the race live with updates, videos and reports across social media throughout the week.

Related posts

Comments

Headshot

Feb 15, 2017, 10:22 AM

Vertical shocks for the win!

Serious Panda

Feb 16, 2017, 2:00 PM

FOOCK YEAH GO OMX/SB MY FAV TEAM!

Serious Panda

Feb 16, 2017, 2:01 PM

Vertical shocks for the win!

YEAH I 2nd THAT!