Events

Goal achieved for Croeser at MTB World Cup finale

· By Press Office · 4 comments

The 2015 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup Series presented by Shimano drew to a close when the final round took place in Val di Sole, Italy from 22-23 September. The name hot off the mouths of those supporting on Sunday was that of South Africa’s Rourke Croeser, who climbed 32 places to finish 15th in the Elite Men’s cross-country (XCO) race.

The Team Full-Dynamix rider describes the term “dream come true” as an understatement. “I came into the season with the hopes of a possible top 20. I know I didn’t finish fifth in this race, but to be in that position with two laps to go was unreal,” he said.

ccs-62657-0-78023100-1440682163.jpgTeam Full-Dynamix rider, Rourke Croeser flew the South African flag high, as he crossed the finish in 15th place in the Men’s Elite XCO race at the 2015 UCI MTB World Cup final in Val di Sole, Italy on Sunday 23 August. Photo: Craig Dutton/pics2go.co.za.

“What I achieved was really good and I’m happy that people understand and appreciate my hard work but, at the end of the day I’m just another South African following his dream. I am overwhelmed by the support of the South African public and would personally like to thank each and everyone who supports and believes in me,” he said.

Sunday’s result has pushed Croeser up five places in the overall UCI rankings from 55th to 50th. The 24-year-old has now channeled his focus to UCI Mountain Bike World Championships, which take place in Vallnord, Andorra, from 2-6 September 2015. Most of the South African team members have arrived safely and are settling in very well.

“World Champs is a whole new ball game. My start position isn’t ideal and it takes a lot out of me to move through the field. All I can do is remain focused and follow the process needed to perform at my best,” he said.

Cycling SA MTB Commission Director, Brett Coates, said: “Well done to Rourke on a fantastic achievement. Starting with the number 47 board and finding himself in the top five was a huge mountain to climb, and he handled it extremely well. Rourke has excelled in mountain biking for many years and showed promise early in his career. We look forward to the coming races.”

For the 2015 UCI MTB World Championships Programme of events, click here: http://vallnordworldchampionships.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Schedule_wchamps2015_vallnord_ok.pdf

Comments

Oxter

Aug 28, 2015, 10:00 AM

Okay okay i will do it...your article refers to 22-23 September, should be August?  With that done, Awesome result for the guy!!! Need a lot more of those type of performances though.   Well done Rourke

Velouria

Sep 5, 2015, 8:49 PM

Was keen to see how he went at the World Champs, but I see he didn't start. 

Velouria

Sep 7, 2015, 8:38 AM

Hmm - I see he was withdrawn:

rpedro

Sep 7, 2015, 10:37 AM

Yes and nobody knows why. I hope it's not what I'm thinking.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment